Making an exLMS D1812 in O Gauge.

Finding myself blessed for time for once I decided to embark upon some "proper modelling for once.

I very much like to have as much variation as I can amongst my stock especially my merchandise vehicles. I am currently in the unusual position of having not enough vacuum braked vans and fancying a change from making another 5 plank wagon!

received_1208755939842788.jpeg.ba42dbd1e988ee96393a12b59b332465.jpeg

The body of the van was done by filing and sanding the bracing iron work to the left hand side of the along with the bracket for the door rail located in the centre of the door. The alternative door handle was created buy using a 4mm scale door spring from an open wagon trimmed to the appropriate size.

The chassis was made by chopping off the existing springs and W irons from the solebars. These were replaced with ABS castings, the clasp brakes were also from the same source.

received_1000331884461566.jpeg.19261dd8246ba9f0877aa41a68108d9d.jpeg

The rest of the chassis was built using a combination of parts. The vac pipes and cylinder were donated from a Parkside Meat van that had been left over from other projects. The linkages for the clasp brakes and the safety were made from whatever scraps of brass I was able to conjour up off my work bench.

I'm happy to hold my hands up and say it isn't the finest example of modelling every produced but to me it passes the 4 foot test and gives me something a bit different to join the rest of the wagon fleet.

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

Nice to see you added safety loops.  From what I've seen, this is a detail very often omitted.  Even kit makers tend to ignore them.  Even if they don't want to give us the bits, at least show us what they looked like and where they went.

John

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

I thought I recognised that running number 

I always work from a reference image and as a source your website is a treasure. I have depicted the van in mid50s condition so it isnt exact to the livery on your photo but it was very helpful.

• 4 weeks later...

Now in service on the club layout where we are currently preparing for our open day on this coming Sunday. Here it is snuggled away with a bunch of other stock in the goods yard.PXL_20230815_212818161.jpg.5d9b75d0563f9700951e4b940ece99b4.jpg

Now I just have to get the rest of the stock finished to the same standard as this van!

• Like 8