Pictures of VIA

VIA185

VIA Rail Canada has, I understand, four of its new Siemens Charger fixed-formation trains in service, all working out of Montreal, with the first of the Toronto allocation due to arrive soon. I thought it was time to start an 'album' of VIA Rail pictures showing the transition and the trains which will be replaced. So I'm starting with this one from 2012 showing one of the P42s, the mainstay of services on the Toronto-Ottawa/Montreal route, crossing the Lachine canal in Montreal with a train of 'Renaissance' stock - the Met-Cam-built cars from the aborted British 'Nightstar' service. These cars are due for early withdrawal due to their poor condition - indeed most may have already gone. (CJL)

178699_3057408687916_1164847717_o.jpg

Edited by VIA185
  • Like 3

Also due to go are the former LRC cars, a leftover from the abortive Light Rapid Comfortable trains on which the Alco-powered driving cars proved to be their downfall. Presumably the 6400-series locomotives will be retained for the 'Canadian' and the Jasper-Prince Rupert and Winnipeg-Churchill services for which any replacement stock is a long way down the line. CJL)

P1190595.JPG

• Like 1

Rebuilt and modernised Budd RDCs on at Sudbury on trains 185/186 to White River, the last main line RDC operation in North America. At least one of the four rebuilt cars has been torn apart to determine whether or not the 70 year-old stainless steel vehicles are structurally safe. It's not clear if they passed the test or, if not, how they might be replaced although for the time being it appears that three cars may be running together, with passengers only being carried in the middle car. One of the vehicles is a baggage-only car anyway. CJL)

P1190827.JPG

• Like 1

On 14/06/2023 at 07:20, VIA185 said:

Rebuilt and modernised Budd RDCs on at Sudbury on trains 185/186 to White River, the last main line RDC operation in North America. At least one of the four rebuilt cars has been torn apart to determine whether or not the 70 year-old stainless steel vehicles are structurally safe. It's not clear if they passed the test or, if not, how they might be replaced although for the time being it appears that three cars may be running together, with passengers only being carried in the middle car. One of the vehicles is a baggage-only car anyway. CJL)

All of the stainless steel cars tested passed. Sad that they destroyed several of them to discover that.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, jsp3970 said:

All of the stainless steel cars tested passed. Sad that they destroyed several of them to discover that.

I read recently that it was a hare set running by VIA themselves in order to press the case for replacing this very elderly rolling stock. I love the stainless steel cars but I must say that some of them have now had so many mods and rebuilds that they do look a bit of a mess. (CJL)

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/06/2023 at 12:20, VIA185 said:

P1190827.JPG

A friend recently told me of this ridiculous buffer car policy.  Has the idiot that tried a similar policy with mk1 charter coaches 20 odd years ago emigrated over there 

• RMweb Premium

There's nothing new in the buffer policy.  Back in 1976 I travelled on a CPR RDC2 from Edmonton down to Calgary.  Having seen it arrive at Edmonton in the morning with the baggage end leading I was somewhat surprised to see it had been turned for the return trip.  When I mentioned this to the conductor he told me that it was standard practice.  The line suffered an abnormal number of grade crossing collisions and turning the unit ensured the passengers were kept as safe as possible.  How very reassuring!

We made it to Calgary without incident.

My understanding is that there had to be a 'buffer' car at each of the train (an empty car) to absorb any impact. It must have meant that the tail dome car on the 'Canadian' (for which 'prestige' passengers pay a considerably inflated fare) was either not used or the rearward view was blocked by an empty car. I assume that if the cars have passed the safety test, the 'buffer' car policy no longer applies. I have also been told that it is likely that the Siemens Charger units will continue to be turned at the end of each trip so that the loco leads, despite the fact that they are really only a glorified DEMU. Old, out of date practices die hard on railways across the world, it seems. (CJL)

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Mike_Walker said:

And nowhere more so than the USA and Canada!

I still can't get my head round the idea that double-track sections are not direction-specific. When I posed this to a VIA Rail friend I was told that its because the station is on one side of the line. So, it's better to have heavy freights and fast passenger trains criss-crossing one another than to build a second platform and a footbridge? Answer is, it's cheaper, of course. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold
On 14/06/2023 at 12:06, VIA185 said:

Also due to go are the former LRC cars, a leftover from the abortive Light Rapid Comfortable trains on which the Alco-powered driving cars proved to be their downfall. Presumably the 6400-series locomotives will be retained for the 'Canadian' and the Jasper-Prince Rupert and Winnipeg-Churchill services for which any replacement stock is a long way down the line. CJL)

P1190595.JPG

I remember my first and only trip on these cars which was between Toronto and Windsor. I remember the day well as had an email from Mum whilst using the on board wifi to say that Dad was not long for this world.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Formerly Esquimalt & Nanaimo Railway train No. 2 Courtenay-Victoria arriving at the beautifully presented Qualicum Beach station. Service withdrawn 2011. Car 6148 is now preserved by the VIA Historical Society. (CJL)

6148 at Qualicum.jpeg

• Like 3