Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Elmleigh Market Junction

Kelvin Pinnock

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

Its so good to see a  Great Eastern layout I particuarily enjoyed the sugar beet loading dont think I have seen this depicted before  ,you have captured the atmosphere of the area and traffic so well.

I think it's a refreshing change, most of the big 4 have been well covered, but this is an area somewhat off the beaten track, but is so recognisable as East Anglia 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, John Besley said:

Just a little tip - when you post multiple pictures add s space between each as it makes for better viewing.

Hello John,

Thanks for your advice. We are still experimenting with the presentation of our articles, and have simply added photos together before submission, which is disappointing when they appear bunched together. I noticed your item on last Friday's 'Show us Yours', and the separation between your pictures is what we are hoping to achieve. Was this simply done by adding the second picture as an edit?

Learning all the time ...

Kelvin 

• RMweb Premium

As has been said your layout and the shots of it just shout exGE loud and clear. Wonderful. 

To space pictures, anything, just hit return between adding them. Just like starting a new paragraph. So you can adjust the space to suit what you want. Add captions between etc. Also you could if you so wished go back and edit your previous posts and do the same. Just place the cursor by the bottom of the shot and enter. The edit button is on the top right of a post and only viewable to the poster. It brings up the same window and dialog as normal. Just save the edit when done.

Bob

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

As has been said your layout and the shots of it just shout exGE loud and clear. Wonderful. 

To space pictures, anything, just hit return between adding them. Just like starting a new paragraph. So you can adjust the space to suit what you want. Add captions between etc. Also you could if you so wished go back and edit your previous posts and do the same. Just place the cursor by the bottom of the shot and enter. The edit button is on the top right of a post and only viewable to the poster. It brings up the same window and dialog as normal. Just save the edit when done.

Bob

Thanks for your advice Bob.

This sounds like it will answer my query. I can now go back and tidy up the pictures posted so far.

Kelvin

Job done - thanks.

Edited by Kelvin Pinnock
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Kelvin Pinnock said:

Thanks for your advice Bob.

This sounds like it will answer my query. I can now go back and tidy up the pictures posted so far.

Kelvin

Job done - thanks.

That looks so much better, thank you Kelvin

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Finally managed to get a hard copy of February 2023 BRM, looking forward to a good read of Stratford St Mary article.

I did buy the digital version, but for some reason I always prefer hard copy.

More pictures please Kelvin

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I don't really have the words for this. I read all through the thread thinking 'Nice, well executed O gauge layout', started to read through it again and realised it is OO. Incredible; in the literal meaning of the word. This is not the sort of layout that inspires; it more inclines me to give up, knowing that I will never reach this standard!

Brilliant work; many congratulations.

George

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Loxborough said:

I don't really have the words for this. I read all through the thread thinking 'Nice, well executed O gauge layout', started to read through it again and realised it is OO. Incredible; in the literal meaning of the word. This is not the sort of layout that inspires; it more inclines me to give up, knowing that I will never reach this standard!

Brilliant work; many congratulations.

George

Thank you; remember that any success I might have is built on a mountain of failures!

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, robock said:

Thank you; remember that any success I might have is built on a mountain of failures!

Well said, that's the beauty of never letting up, everything is a learning curve,  picking up ideas from others, experimenting your self, being critical of your own work - 'is it good enough, could I do better'

But above all try and try again, the person who never made a mistake never made anything - that's what I tell my apprentice and take pride in your work

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/12/2023 at 13:05, robock said:

Yes, it was built to replace a Ratio model, now located down the line at Elmleigh Market. Before that there was another, more prototypical version made with plastic rod, which was far too brittle - it is in a vulnerable spot at the front of the board. 

The bullhead rails were drilled in a simple jig, and wires bent to fit in prototypical fashion . Gates use handrail knobs and wire hinges. All very solidly constructed on a thick plywood base to keep everything straight and level.

IMG_20231207_124738_9.jpg

Cracking job - are the wires soldered to rails or have you drilled holes through rails to accommodate wires? Have just noticed the drainage system too - that is real class

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, stfgroxb said:

Cracking job - are the wires soldered to rails or have you drilled holes through rails to accommodate wires? Have just noticed the drainage system too - that is real class

It has to withstand a wide range of temperatures and humidity in the loft environment, so the wires are only soldered where they end at a gate post, leaving them free to expand elsewhere - a lesson learned from wire and post platform fencing that distorted terribly when soldered to each post.

The photo shows a post that has been drilled - note the spacing of the rails to keep small animals secure - the top wire is thicker at 0.45mm, the remainder are 0.4mm.

The base does slope towards the drain - a layer of 2mm styrene sanded and scored to represent channels cast into the concrete.

That's the easy part - the difficulty is in making the gates which are bent from strips of nickel silver, drilled through using another jig - the number and spacing of wires being different to the pen - then the diagonal support is two lengths of square 0.4mm n/s wire (Wizard Models point rodding) soldered to the horizontal bars, forming a sandwich with enough solder run between them to fill the gaps - this needed some tidying up with a sharp knife. Making gates exactly the correct size so they fit between the posts is no easy task...!

1995-7233_LIVST_FT_417.jpg

Post drilled.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 17

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, robock said:

It has to withstand a wide range of temperatures and humidity in the loft environment, so the wires are only soldered where they end at a gate post, leaving them free to expand elsewhere - a lesson learned from wire and post platform fencing that distorted terribly when soldered to each post.

The photo shows a post that has been drilled - note the spacing of the rails to keep small animals secure - the top wire is thicker at 0.45mm, the remainder are 0.4mm.

The base does slope towards the drain - a layer of 2mm styrene sanded and scored to represent channels cast into the concrete.

That's the easy part - the difficulty is in making the gates which are bent from strips of nickel silver, drilled through using another jig - the number and spacing of wires being different to the pen - then the diagonal support is two lengths of square 0.4mm n/s wire (Wizard Models point rodding) soldered to the horizontal bars, forming a sandwich with enough solder run between them to fill the gaps - this needed some tidying up with a sharp knife. Making gates exactly the correct size so they fit between the posts is no easy task...!

1995-7233_LIVST_FT_417.jpg

Post drilled.jpg

Thank you for this detail. Outstanding work. Will need to take a deep breath before contemplating an upgrade for Buntingford! Do you happen to know how ‘standard’ this kind of dock was across GER stations?

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, stfgroxb said:

Thank you for this detail. Outstanding work. Will need to take a deep breath before contemplating an upgrade for Buntingford! Do you happen to know how ‘standard’ this kind of dock was across GER stations?

As far as I can tell from old photos, the usual GE design was of wooden construction; it seems that the LNER replaced them with steel as required.

• Informative/Useful 1