RMweb

R30082 BR, Class 56, Co-Co, 56086 - Era 7

meatloaf

Has anyone got one of the above locos and can confirm what DCC socket it has?

Hornby site says 8 pin. Retaillers such as Hattons and Kernow say 21 pin.

Which is correct as im looking to to get a TXS decoder for it as well

• 4 weeks later...

My apologies but a momentary hijack of this thread ...

I recently purchased a 'R3050A' 56 083 B.R. Blue Class 56, but the chassis has many puzzles:

1. Fans were disconnected.  Many don't like, I do, and refitted a belt - working acceptably. Loco very smooth.
  2. Initially one-bogie pick-up, but was a detached wire.  Resoldered, and twin bogie as it should be.
  3. PCB - see photos.  21-pin.  Blanking plug has 2 micro slider switches.  I've tried all options - no lights.
  4. All cables connected.  I've tried other blanking plugs - loco runs fine, but no lights.
  5. Speaker hard-wired onto the PCB.
  6. Chassis states 'DCC fitted'.

Bottom line is I want the directional lighting but cannot see how to activate.

Other option is to fit the Stickswipe kit off Ebay.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Al.

56 083 - R3050A - PCB #1.jpg

56 083 - R3050A - PCB #3.jpg

Jason, aka Stickswipe on that Auction site has given me a good few pointers - thanks Jason if you're reading.

I'll be having a go at seeing if the lighting can be kicked into action - mention of the polarities reversed on the DCC Sound items and this is a genuine Hornby 'XS' item.

Al.

Hornby DCC diesels are wired very oddly....common negative rather than the DCC standard of common positive. This is why lighting boards attached to the cab interiors cannot be swapped between Non  sound and DCC sound fitted Hornby locos.

Jason's (Stickswipe) class 56 lighting boards are excellent and well worth fitting....the headlamp is a more realistic colour as opposed to the incorrect Hornby cool white colour.

Well, probably the right way to go. That pcb looks to have been reworked to me - I don’t ever recall Hornby using that red gauge wire across the top of a pcb like that. I’d either trace the PCB or start again as Stickswipe kits may let you

I'm going to get back to him.  As you say the PCB had obviously been worked on.

Being such a relatively complex and older locomotive, I'm finding myself having to resolder wires non-stop.

The locomotive works perfectly, it's just much better with the lighting.

Thanks for your reply.

Al.