High Peak Junction

TT100 Diesels

With all the kind folk looking in and also liking etc, I had better add some more interest, a few pics featuring 31109 since it was the most recent loco build feature in this thread.

DSCF83522.jpg.ed3adb44e742c5a202f53bab3df5883a.jpg

An EE fest! (well power unit wise), 31109 is stabled on the turn table, while 37099 ticks away ready for its next job.

DSCF83622.jpg.9f8f6a19dd16cf4dfb50a2044ef73c76.jpg

And a Brush fest! Type 2, 31109 remains on the turn table, while Type 4, 47205 is stabled up on one of the turn table dead end roads.

Of these three locos, in real life, I believe the 31 is long since scrapped, the 47 is preserved and the 37 is still active on the mainline with Colas Rail.

I hope these pics are of interest, they represent the earlier days before my core traction was built (20s and 25s). The 31 and 37are now considered rare visitors, assuming Derby 4 shed men who signed them were around to relieve a March crew on a Whitemoor to High Peak Junction job. 47205 was an LM allocated machine at the time the layout was set so more plausible.

• Like 14

For me, what makes your layout and stock stand out, is the consistency of the modelling.  Because you work in 3mm and are busy building available kits and carrying modifications of what is available secondhand, everything has the right look.  

A highly detailed RTR offering is fine, but if the quality of everything else doesn’t match, it becomes very obvious. 

All power to you.  Hopefully, it will finally kick me into action.

Kind regards

Paul

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your kind words.

I do try hard to get an overall consistency, perhaps it is because I try to make sure everything on the actual layout is weathered, plus all t&rs that is "finished" is weathered plus rattle can matt varnish, I find it tones down and keys everything together. As I have mentioned up thread, I dont think gloss and shininess scales down well.

Its nice to know that my work is spurring your own modelling back into action, good luck with it.

• Thanks 1

I have found another pic of 97201 stabled in the yard with 25071 and 25125.

DSCF27152.jpg.bff1003879f901ac2386bb717a3ab76c.jpg

The old workshop building in the background needs some ground cover along the base, photos are good for showing up those little jobs that still need finishing off !

Thanks to all for the continued interest.

• Like 11

To bring things up to date, I took a few pics today down at the station, now the signal posts are finally in. Mechanical wire in tubes to point solenoids and wired to local zone connector blocks. Still need to sort out switches on the control cubicle and the new wiring looms from there to the zone connector blocks. And scenic around the signal post bases...,. and add ladders...... But it is some progress. Anyway, a few DMUs were about

DSCF6531.jpg.b2cdee429d949a875549a130a2d2d2d2.jpg

E56070 and E50227 have got the road out of the bay platform and are ready for the off. M55995 sits up on the blocks.

DSCF6532.jpg.c51e5ba2d64be152bce56a8e86373674.jpg

Nobody about as usual, may as well be an ECS run !

DSCF6534.jpg.899a2f4c153225126a6516fffe35facd.jpg

Was able zoom in from the barrow crossing, makes a change from the platform.

DSCF6535.jpg.1d05e4c30f32298998169be26ebf4870.jpg

So quiet, so nipped down the ten foot to shoot this pic. Nobody was bothered anyway.

DSCF6537.jpg.fffbeeccb0a73703eecb5c261baf0775.jpg

And awayyyyyy*....... The Met Camm power / trailer twin set rasps away past the water crane. The 101 was based on a Neville Hill based genuine pairing circa 1980 onwards. Still need to glaze the passenger windows, so apologies for the unfinished state of the unit. I will have to do a build feature on this unit in due course.

Hope this is of interest.

* With apologies to Bob Mortimer.

• Like 9

Hi Bradfordbuffer, that is very generous of you to say. There is no focus stacking trickery, I dont have the facilities available, the camera is set to 64 ISO setting for picture quality, 6.8 f stop (after this the camera jumps to f 13 but strangely that is less sharp ?), and thus usually a very slow shutter speed. In these shots the camera is placed on the layout for low level access and stability. Some shots were also on the macro focus setting.

I too like the shot you highlighted, its a proper late 70s run down ness.

The Met Camm was really hard work painting, multiple livery elements don't come easily to me, it very nearly ended up all over rail blue!

Thanks again for your interest and also everyone else who drops by and enjoys HPJ.

Edited by TT100 Diesels
Forgot a bit so added.
  • Like 4

On 15/07/2023 at 09:39, TT100 Diesels said:

Hi Bradfordbuffer, that is very generous of you to say. There is no focus stacking trickery, I dont have the facilities available, the camera is set to 64 ISO setting for picture quality, 6.8 f stop (after this the camera jumps to f 13 but strangely that is less sharp ?), and thus usually a very slow shutter speed. In these shots the camera is placed on the layout for low level access and stability. Some shots were also on the macro focus setting.

The Met Camm was really hard work painting, multiple livery elements don't come easily to me, it very nearly ended up all over rail blue!

Thanks again for your interest and also everyone else who drops by and enjoys HPJ.

Errr Mr York! BRM article?...get the 3mm message out there!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

That is a very nice thought from both Bradfordbuffer and Cowley 47521, but as the layout is still progressing, I am finding that having a layout thread on RMweb to be the most versatile way of showcasing the layout, traction and rolling stock, progress and build history.

And since the working semaphore signals (still lots of wiring to do) and 3d print ground signals are the latest move forward in an effort to "finish" the layout, the attached pic shows the two at the far end of the main running line and loop.

DSCF6414.jpg.105da05981781869c25a5ff82df696b4.jpg

As usual, my type 1 and 2 traction seem to be getting in the way again.......😉

Thanks for the continued interest.

• Like 7

I am delighted to be able to say that my diesels have been invited to guest on Phil Mason's Bluish TMD exhibition layout to support his scratch built diesels and electric fleet at the forthcoming St Johns Railex, Trent Vale, Stoke on Trent.

Its Sat 29th and Sun 30th July. Full details on UK Modelshops website.

So it will be an opportunity for anyone interested in seeing quite a large variety of diesel and electric outline traction in 3mm scale (and a lot in blue). Obviously, not all of it will be authentic for Reddish / Guide Bridge in the late 70s, but its partly about showcasing what is possible in the scale.

Cheers

TT100 Diesels

• Like 5

On 15/07/2023 at 09:39, TT100 Diesels said:

It's possible to do focus stacking 'on line'. The results are quite remarkable and it's dead easy. Goodness me, even I managed it and I'm 

your original dinosaur. Sorry it's a bit off topic but here's a Minitrix 9F based on three iPhone images focussed front, middle and back. 

515C9357-209B-4474-8663-0AF68C7D50FC.jpeg

• Like 3

Back on track, this time we can have a look at the build process for 47205. This was done in 2016 and was and still is my most ambitious kit bash. And it was only my second loco build.

To be fair though, despite my best efforts, its a bit rough, mainly down to the provenance of the resin body moulding (blob). It started life as a very crude class 56 body shell, with steel weights cast into the sides, which bow out a bit just behind the cab doors. I actually bought it back in about 1980 when I dabbled in 3mm for a year or two. And sunk to the bottom of a box of bits ever since!

Nevertheless, the idea of having a 3mm main line diesel that was not a Triang Brush type 2 back in 2016 before Lincoln Locos 3d print revolution was something special.

As it required a lot of work to improve it, and a 56 was not a good "fit" for the layout, I thought I would have a go at making it into a class 47, more of a core loco for the layout time period

DSCF28322.jpg.e43c86d6b76fe9849c41d063c9211799.jpg

The 56 resin blob not long after I started to chop it about. Front ends flushed off and first pass filler applied, as with the side main rad fan grilles. Above these, the cantrail cut outs for the 47 Serck grilles. Most the 56 roof detail flushed off. I kept the 2 roof rad fan grilles. Not entirely correct for a 47 and also kept most of the cantrail grilles.

DSCF30362.jpg.fd071af804a73d468d2608f9b6e1a45c.jpg

Starting to already look more duff. Cab window apertures tidied up, cab front filled off, headcode panel opened out, tail light apertures drilled out, fine milliput applied and smoothed off over the former bodyside main rad fan inlet grilles. 47 engine room windows cut out, cab roof warning horn enclosure basic form made from plasticard to model the lip and recess.

DSCF30682.jpg.cfc7dfba3516fdb8b83b46429502a9c9.jpg

Cab roof, fine milliput used over the basic plasticard former to shape the warning horn enclosure. Plasticard slats made to form the Serck shutters, plasticard used to make up the class 47 style roof details over the engine bay and boiler room.

DSCF30722.jpg.24559b3971ad74c94096a32a4551a5a4.jpg

Another view of the Serck shutters, engine room window and horn enclosure.

DSCF3073.jpg.e17d8f8b097f4fe7d43084a2f71182f4.jpg

And a different view of the roof detail added to the engine bay. Plus steps added in the centre body side. These were dead hard to do because of the steel cast into the body sides.

See part 2 for the next batch of photo up loads.

• Like 3

Class 47, 47205 build part 2

DSCF55422.jpg.80cc1161e704ed50ec8fcf9cadd2f3c9.jpg

More detail added, plasticard overlays for the centre body side engine room door.

Buffer beam cowling formed from plasticard and fine milliput (this was non existent on the 56 blob to start with). Headcode panel added, inset from the front end, front foot steps and wire handrails added, lamp irons and tail lights, these were pin heads. Bottom cab door handle apertures filed in as not present on 47s. 

Buffers formed from plastic rod (shank) and plasticard punched out of a hole punch. Crude but effective.

In the background is big brother 47, an OO gauge Hornby 70s vintage silver seal job. They say one should never model from a model, well, it was a good source of build data and if I did not, well 47205 in 3mm would not be around, so I takes my money and made my choice.

DSCF55452.jpg.e197df89868dac3b96e398aa744a3885.jpg

Underframe battery box module, another scratch build  plasticard job, with  central screw to fix into the scratch build chassis.

DSCF33512.jpg.f0518818a1fb7af4d65efaaed93398ee.jpg

A Triang Brush Type 2 died to allow 47205 to live! The motor and trailer bogies were robbed, striped down and the mazak side frames shown a bench grinder to flush them off. Before and after shot above.

DSCF33552.jpg.085e0f74f94d360462c8e03d62616232.jpg

Cosmetic side frames in a 47 style were needed, so white metal  class 31 cosmetic frames were sourced from the 3mm society shop. Top one is pure 31, bottom one has been chopped up to start to form something more like a 47.

DSCF54672.jpg.1cf7d329b211047dcabaee8f9806bc63.jpg

Ex 31 re formed whitemetal frames epoxied to the ex 31 flushed off bogie and plasticard chopped up to form the 47 style elongated diamond equalising beams.

DSCF5582.jpg.7cfc5819623009d2975d07206a26cf07.jpg

The trailer bogie main construction finished. Plasticard 47 style bogie footsteps added plus additional pick ups added, using 31 power wheelsets (metal) in place of the normal standard plastic trailer wheelsets. I used this trick on the 31109 build detailed up thread.

DSCF30692.jpg.fa1e68561b0667247587dad951607344.jpg

The scratch built plasticard chassis, fitted to the standard triang 31 bogies, before they were modified.

That's it for part 2. More build pics to come in due course.

Once again, thanks for the continued interest from folk popping by.

Edited by TT100 Diesels
Spelling
  • Like 4

So, onwards to part 3 of the 47 build.

DSCF55392.jpg.817af3a347829743dfbc11840960fc4a.jpg

Essentially, the "kit" of parts. Bashed 56 shell, bashed 31 bogies, semi scratch build side frames, scratch build chassis and underframe module. Note also triang D loop toy couplers let into the bogie frames where the standard triang front end die cast coupler mounts were ground off earlier. It is starting to come together.

DSCF56902.jpg.0a820ba9bc9f363bb95eeb5f9a33cc49.jpg

Primed up with various filler re works going on.

DSCF55772.jpg.e38a0728a2bccab940284406bb4c8595.jpg

Build elements completed, apart from cab door side handrails which I fitted during the paint process. Sitting pretty on the table on an embryo layout build.

Looking very duff now!

DSCF6206.jpg.d9e22d2c245737ce18677c030c4eefca.jpg

After a visit to the paint shop. Basic livery elements plus decals in place. All hand painted. Compare this to the initial pic of the 56 shell.

DSCF65543.jpg.0469da7571f16cfc0a879b938f88a3ec.jpg

All done, cab handrails added, decals, weathered, two coats of rattle can matt varnish and glue n glaze windows. The main windscreens were too large to glue n glaze without additional backing, so ohp clear plastic film was fitted then flooded with glue n glaze on top. Now I am into hand cut flush glazing this looks rubbish, so once I have finished my outstanding loco build stash, I will be coming back to this 47 and reworking the main windscreens. 

All that being said, I am immensely pleased with what I managed to achieve. Sure its no comparison to the fidelity of an OO 47, and I scaled off photos and an OO Hornby model, but certainly at the time, it made a quite nice looking 47. The only other TT 47 was the whitemetal BEC kit, which in my own opinion has a truly horrible front end so I never felt the need to buy one whenever I came across one in the 3mm society second hand. Having said that, I have seen some that folk have made a fantastic paint job on them.

And like all scales, once you make something yourself, along comes an rtr model. As with the more recent 3mm society cottage industry collaboration with Lincoln Locos, where a couple of small production runs were done to society member pre orders. They are very nice too, make my 47205 seem like a BEC kit in comparison.

Anyway, I hope folk enjoy this three part 47 build posting, 

Cheers

TT100 Diesels

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Hi Woodenhead,

The thing is in TT3,  beggars can't be choosers, so to speak. Especially back in 2016 doing diesel outline modelling. There simply were not very good alternatives for a 47. The BEC whitemetal kit which I dont like and a 3smr etched kit, with guess what, the BEC white metal cab fronts, the worst bit of the BEC kit in my own opinion.

I already had the 56 resin blob and it was clear that it needed a lot of work to improve it (or polish a t.....). So with a load of work to do on a loco type that in my time frame would have been very unlikely to pitch up at HPJ, yes lots at Toton, but pretty much all on east midlands mgr circuits. And HPJ is mainly vac and unfitted so an air only type 5 is still too early a time frame.

So why not make it a 47, methinks, would be much more plausible, a dual braked LM example (47205), far more likely to  be seen at the rural backwater that HPJ is in my layout back story.

So, I agree with you to a point, would not need to do it in a mainstream scale, but like I say, I have got lost down a very niche rabbit hole.......

Cheers

TT100 Diesels

That is a very kind comment Hunslet 102, thanks very much. I will be happier with it when I have flush glazed the front windscreens (in time see my comments up thread) , I think that will lift it so it sits better with my more recent stuff. But back when I first completed it I was super happy with it.

And thanks for the ongoing interest, likes etc from folk dropping in to see what is going on at HPJ.

• Like 3