SECR CLASS D1 TOP FEED BOILER

TonyHA

Hi All

I recently bought the 00 gauge model of the SECR Class D1 which is exclusive to a well known model shop

About six versions are available and the version I bought was loco no 1741 in Southern Railway Olive Green 

Livery with a top feed boiler with the top feed going into the bottom of the dome. However although the

model incorporates this correctly both sides of the dome I noted that there is also a side feed going into 

both sides towards the front of the boiler . On checking photos in my book collection of various Class D1s 

I could find photos of D1s with top feed and D1s with side feed but no photos of a D1 incorporating both

types of feed together.  I wouldn't have thought a loco would have been built incorporating both types of 

feed so could this be a mistake on the model ? Perhaps someone could throw some light on this for me.

Many thanks 

Tony HA

Looking at the Rails website - that would appear to be 1741 ............... yes, it's an error nobody seems to have spotted !

The E1s started out with top feed but for some reason the D1s were given side feed ... needless to say some boilers got interchanged but all were eventually equipped with side feed. No locomotive of any type on any railway ever had top AND side feed - apart from some obscure specimen that someone will now point out ! ☹️

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1