Greenwich Bridge (Micro Layout done on a budget)

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question, regarding the scrap sidings by my time period (late 80s - early 90s).

By my time period would smaller scrapyards that mostly bought straight from the consumer, things like cars and old washing machines have rail served sidings? or would it only be the larger type that breaks metals into much smaller chunks and sells onto steelworks?

From what I understand you get two types of scrap merchant, your smaller type, where the average person will send their car or washing machine and then the larger type which buys from the first type of scrapyard (possibly known as a metals reprocesser?), further breaks the scrap down and sells onto steel works, this type is most likely to have rail sidings from what I understand. Although I don't know a huge amount about the scrap trade so happy to be enlightened. 

I would much prefer to recreate the smaller type of scrapyard, having been inspired by Everard Junctions videos, there being something very attractive about the organised chaos and dereliction of it also the compact size of the layout meaning a smaller scrapyard being the most feasible, although for the sake of accuracy happy to make the 2nd type as well.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The scrapyard at Silvertown was still rail served into the 90's, that may be an ideal prototype to work from. Do a google search for "T W Ward Silvertown", trains were only around 5 wagons so perfect for a micro layout.

6235001856_43bf110182_b.jpg

Edited by simon b
  • Like 15

@klambert I'd recommend looking at the Silvertown tramway too, mainline locos and only a few wagons would make a great micro layout. Wagons were propelled along some of it too, I loosely based mine on it. 

@simon b Great photo! I looked at Silvertown a while back and didn't come across that one! That scene is Micro inspiration in itself! 

Edited by sb67
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/07/2023 at 18:26, simon b said:

The scrapyard at Silvertown was still rail served into the 90's, that may be an ideal prototype to work from. Do a google search for "T W Ward Silvertown", trains were only around 5 wagons so perfect for a micro layout.

6235001856_43bf110182_b.jpg

Thank you for the recomends, looks like plenty of Flickr albums, I've also bought D Brennands Londons East End Railways Part 2, for more on the Silvertown Tramway, I also discovered some pictures of what was the 600 group, now EMR metal recycling facility at Willesden in one of Vic Mitchells Middleton Press books 'West London Line' when it still had a rail connection.

Edited by klambert
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, klambert said:

Thank you for the recomends, looks like plenty of Flickr albums, I've also bought D Brennands Londons East End Railways Part 2, for more on the Silvertown Tramway, I also discovered some pictures of what was the 600 group, now EMR metal recycling facility at Willesden in one of Vic Mitchells Middleton Press books 'West London Line' when it still had a rail connection.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple of my embedded searches from my Flickr. You'll get TONS of great pictures & inspiration...

Flickr Search

Flickr Search

The whole Silvertown/Victoria Dock area fascinates me so your location will be fun to model!

Edited by Weeny Works
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Taking a 'break' from the breakers yard at the moment, moving onto scratchbuilding the 60s brutalist monolith that makes up the backscene hiding the fiddle yard, I've been thinking about windows. This is to be my first completely scratchbuilt building and I haven't made things easy for myself 😁

I have about 90 windows to make, my first plan was to cut them out of 1mm greyboard, however since I found out how tedious cutting out the concrete frame was I've had 2nd thoughts. Instead I was thinking about making the windows in Photoshop, (using the image shown below) printing onto A4 sticky label sheets and sticking onto the transparent packaging from various Peco bits. However my reservations about this technique are that it may make the windows look very flat particuarly for 00. An idea I have though is maybe to stick the printed sticky label sheet onto 160 gsm card which I have in excess and then apply glazing.

I'm not going for Ancorton windows or anything like that as they're the wrong dimensions and also being mindful of cost, although I'm open to other suggestions and also keen to see how other people have scratchbuilt office buildings.

358941864_674047284184494_2600420809412624628_n.jpg

364227004_1720496455043302_3386624094713565134_n.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

I love what you are creating fantastic work,i have had a long interest of the railway at silver town since the early 80s when railway modeller had silvertown as a layout idea track plan,their was something i liked about the photographs of rail blue class 105 dmus and the silvertown tramway with its gated entrance to the scrap yard,your windows for your building look great i am constructing a 7 floor office building for my layout it was not until i had cut all the windows out that i realised i had just cut out 164 windows,so i think your method ofmakeing your windows is a very good idea ,keep up the great work on this very nice looking layout!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think the fencing looks okay, the camera is always cruel but it looks good to me in these pictures.  Don't think I have ever found an easy fencing option.  I would use the foliage trick as any corner in a scrap yard is likely to be "forgotten".  There's always more green in the world than you expect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking forwards to seeing whatever 3rd rail unit trundles along the line as well! Old Silvertown & the North London Link are sadly now mostly covered & erased under modern urban sprawl.

A little Ruston 48DS would look lovely as your scrap engine moving the odd wagon about!

Edited by Rich_F
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Rich_F said:

Looking forwards to seeing whatever 3rd rail unit trundles along the line as well! Old Silvertown & the North London Link are sadly now mostly covered & erased under modern urban sprawl.

A little Ruston 48DS would look lovely as your scrap engine moving the odd wagon about!

At the moment I have an NSE EPB, and the old Hornby NSE VEP although I need to make a cassette for that as the fiddleyard can only accommodate two car lengths. 

In the future I would like a 466 and the Bratchell models 456, maybe even the Hornby model of the National Collection BIL as I believe it ran on the mainline at the time. The passenger stock for a layout of this size is surprisingly flexible. 

There's many other 3rd rail units I'm considering as well, the selection is excellent these days. 

Edited by klambert
  • Like 1

Interesting project, which caught my eye as your map seems to have obliterated my mother's old house in Prior St, indeed the whole street is missing. Brand Street and Royal Hill are either side of where it still is, so it appears the map has managed what the Luftwaffe failed to do. How old is the map? The Greenwich Park line cutting went under Prior St and what I believe is a two-story railway building can be seen next to the allotment that has been established above the filled-in approach.

• 1 month later...

20231109_094213.jpg.25a2718502ccdb5941dd32b0593324ba.jpgHad a rummage around in a bits box and managed to find this, the assembled  bodyshell of a Dapol class 04 kit. Perfect I thought, ideal for the scrapyard corner. Until I had second thoughts. 

I was thinking of fabricating a chassis out of plasticard, sans wheels and a load of rust and weathering. Until I realised I don't think you'd have dumped shunter minus its wheels, there removal just seems like a load of unnecessary hassle for the scrapman. Especially this being the previous shunter until it was dumped out of the way. 

I've been unable to find pictures of scrapped shunters sans wheels so I don't think they'd be scrapped like this, although if anyone knows otherwise, I'd appreciate it. 

My other option which I think's more realistic is to break the shunter up and have its remains scattered around in a pile, maybe keep the cab intact for use as a workman's bothy.

Edited by klambert
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Until I realised I don't think you'd have dumped shunter minus its wheels, there removal just seems like a load of unnecessary hassle for the scrapman. 

What about raising it to correct ride height then putting other stuff round it? either more scrap or weedy overgrowth, in a manner that would suggest the chassis is still there but you cant see it? 

bd2a42e06aba5c97f3384503d55aa833.jpg

Edited by Russ (mines a pint)
attach file
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Can I suggest you take a look at the old matchbox diesel shunter, those would suit the scene perfectly. If your feeling brave the chassis from the underground Ernie inspection car can be used to motorise it....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 months later...

Office block that forms the fiddle yard backscene is taking shape. Still many loose ends to tie, still requires weathering, leak marks and the mandatory graffiti. 

20240103_215556.jpg.33460bb77eda9271428bf947549b0279.jpg

A lot of the concrete panels and doorways came from textures.com although the grey brick is ScaleScenes, stuck onto grey board, windows are Peco packaging.

20240114_184803.jpg.d78cb609508a3b6e728afe901b3459e1.jpg

Better view of office block rear entrance, (aka the smokers haven) fire door and record shop. Setup by a now aging hippy with the idea of being Southeast Londons premier purveyor of psych records and ahem other associated 'wares' but has since expanded to cover all good riffy rock. 

20240114_184755.jpg.39531bb31e06cdedbba3a803d9b2ee02.jpg

How about a game of guess the album? (Just realised the camera's picked up things I didn't consider to be a big issue such as white paper edges etc, hope to tidy that up with weathering eventually).

20240115_111858.jpg.a5dafa043e4c21784e7e9a0471a1c4c8.jpg

So far it's made without a back so I can add lighting at a later date.

20240119_164007.jpg.83b68336b350cba28c0f3c0821bf4422.jpg

Getting there, but it gives an idea of what I'm after. 

Edited by klambert
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 19/11/2023 at 20:25, Russ (mines a pint) said:

What about raising it to correct ride height then putting other stuff round it? either more scrap or weedy overgrowth, in a manner that would suggest the chassis is still there but you cant see it? 

bd2a42e06aba5c97f3384503d55aa833.jpg

Interesting, any thing about the history of this I'm assuming unit? 

On 25/11/2023 at 22:46, simon b said:

Can I suggest you take a look at the old matchbox diesel shunter, those would suit the scene perfectly. If your feeling brave the chassis from the underground Ernie inspection car can be used to motorise it....

Good suggestion, will keep an eye especially if I see one in a parts bin, car boot etc.

Regarding the diesel shunter, I had a chat with the shunter contigent of the DEPG, of which I'm a member, they said it's not out of the bounds of reality as long as I fabricate the chassis, to quote 'all kinds of strange things happen in scrap yards, it could have required a wheelset change and then the owner gave up halfway through when he found something better'. 

Edited by klambert
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, klambert said:

Office block that forms the fiddle yard backscene is taking shape. Still many loose ends to tie, still requires weathering, leak marks and the mandatory graffiti. 

20240103_215556.jpg.33460bb77eda9271428bf947549b0279.jpg

A lot of the concrete panels and doorways came from textures.com although the grey brick is ScaleScenes, stuck onto grey board, windows are Peco packaging.

20240114_184803.jpg.d78cb609508a3b6e728afe901b3459e1.jpg

Better view of office block rear entrance, (aka the smokers haven) fire door and record shop. Setup by a now aging hippy with the idea of being Southeast Londons premier purveyor of psych records and ahem other associated 'wares' but has since expanded to cover all good riffy rock. 

20240114_184755.jpg.39531bb31e06cdedbba3a803d9b2ee02.jpg

How about a game of guess the album? (Just realised the camera's picked up things I didn't consider to be a big issue such as white paper edges etc, hope to tidy that up with weathering eventually).

20240115_111858.jpg.a5dafa043e4c21784e7e9a0471a1c4c8.jpg

So far it's made without a back so I can add lighting at a later date.

20240119_164007.jpg.83b68336b350cba28c0f3c0821bf4422.jpg

Getting there, but it gives an idea of what I'm after. 

That looks great, what plans do you have for the end of the sidings next to it?