Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

St. Oswalds. A Dumfriesshire branchline off of the Port Road/Stranraer Line.

• 46444 changed the title to St. Oswald's. A Dumfriesshire branchline off of the Port Road/Stranraer Line.
  • RMweb Gold

This is already looking a nice project Mark and one to follow 👍🏼

Can't beat a Lack shelf - what's the overall scenic section when you subtract 2 x FY's?

I believe you have a imminent deadline on this so it will be a great example of what can be built in a very short space of time.

Watching with interest...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, bcnPete said:

Can't beat a Lack shelf - what's the overall scenic section when you subtract 2 x FY's?

Thanks very much Pete...😉

Following in the footsteps of the Lackmeister has certainly taught me a thing or too...👍

Regarding the scenic section it works out about 100cm. It's a good length to capture what I'm wanting to achieve in a small cameo layout.

Obviously I would quite like to run a BR Clan Class with a full length passenger train but not yet!..

Today I've ordered the backscene from Kernow Model Rail Centre.  A stock Gaugemaster item which should represent the chosen Dumfries countryside nicely. The order also included Ratio lineside fencing and a loading gauge.

Last night I managed to build up the Wills coal staithes, crane kit and modify the Ratio telegraph poles. I'll post some snaps of these shortly.

I would agree a deadline certainly focuses the attention but I have been working at elements of the layout over the past year.

I'm enjoying the build and hopefully it offers a different take on a Scottish themed layout and shows what can be achieved in a cameo layout.

More soon.

Cheers, 

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday was a productive day working on St. Oswalds.

Ballasting was achieved successfully using a mix of chinchilla dust, sand, and 2mm scale ballast. This was fixed into place using Johnson's Kleer or the modern version of it dropped from a pipette.

St Oswald's Ballast...

After a vacuum this morning and repairs to a few areas where it the ballast mix had not not set a test run was achieved successfully. No dramas thankfully.

The cattle dock and and loading area plinth for the goods yard was constructed from polystyrene, card and coffee stirrers cut to shape.

St Oswald's Ballast...

A small disused cattle dock will be on half of the plinth and this will be over grown. The yard at Tarff is the inspiration for this but on a smaller scale. 

St Oswald's Ballast...

The coal yard area is also progressing nicely. 

St Oswald's Ballast...

Today is more scenery based with the landform taking place ready to get the static grass down.. 

More soon. 

Cheers,

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Further progress has been made today on St. Oswold's. 

St Oswolds...LT works.

I decided to add the third stall of the coal staithes as I felt there was room and it evened out the appearance.

St Oswolds...LT works.

A start has been made on the land form using a combination of kitchen roll, cereal packet card stuck together with PVA or a 50/50 mix of the later with warm water. This was used to bond the strips of kitchen roll.

St Oswolds...LT works.

The road way is in situ using Daler mount board. I will do the crossing infill shortly and dress the road accordingly.

St Oswolds...LT works.

Other than add chimney pots and curtains the crossing keepers cottage is essentialy finished. I will add a hedge row or fence roadside. 

The Ratio telegraph poles have been modified and metal capping added made up from a drinks can. Finished with Valejo acrylics.

St Oswolds...LT works.

Here's an aerial shot with the crane and cattle/loading dock institu.

St Oswolds...LT works.

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Made good progress on the scenery today.

St Oswalds-The Green Stuff..

The road and the goods yard received a covering of PVA and chinchilla dust and was allowed to dry.

Then mixes of matt emulsion tester pots provided the base colours. The PVA/chinchilla dust mixture became workable again resulting in a textured appearance. The road surface was flattened down with a piece of scrap 2 x1 timber.

Hanging basket liner was cut to shape and once glued down formed the base covering of the grassed areas. It was then trimmed.

Armed with my Noch Puffer Bottle and copious amounts of hairspray the static grass was applied. Three shades were mixed in the Noch appliance.

Bushes and shrubs were made from either rubberised horse hair or fibres from the hanging basket liner. These received a coat of Halfords camouflage brown spray paint.

Then grass fibres were applied to the forms to make smaller branches/twigs using more hairspray. Finally Heki leaf foliage of various shades was used to make the leaves.

Really pleased with progress today. I will complete the level crossing infill and cattle dock shortly.

More soon.

Cheers,

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 25/06/2023 at 13:51, 46444 said:

The sight of a BR Standard 6MT Clan Class hard at work on the Port Road is quite evocative but other motive power provided the mainstay of the work including Black 5's and BR Standard 4MT 2-6-0's in BR days. 

Jubilees were the main express power for many years before the Clans, and were still around into the 1960s:

http://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2013/04/stranraer-newton-stewart-1939-1964.html

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, pH said:

Jubilees were the main express power for many years before the Clans, and were still around into the 1960s:

http://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/2013/04/stranraer-newton-stewart-1939-1964.html

Thanks pH. I had forgotten the Jubilees even though they feature quite promently in the Swan book. 

In addition to the Jubilees, Crabs, 4P's and either Fairburns or BR Standard 4MT 2-6-4's were also common.

The plan is to run the Caley 812, an Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 and a BR Standard 4MT 2-6-0 for the forthcoming exhibition. A Bachmann Wickham Trolley will make a cameo appearance.

A Fairburn and BR Standard 4MT 2-6-4 await in the wings. As does the forthcoming Hornby BR Standard 2MT 2-6-0.

A lovely line to model and the branchlines certainly offer an easy alternative to model in a small space.

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 2

• 46444 changed the title to St. Oswalds. A Dumfriesshire branchline off of the Port Road/Stranraer Line.
  • RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Jamie said:

Nice one Mark.  I imagine the exhibition will be beyond my reach but I will keep an eye on progress and I hope it goes well.

Thanks Jamie, 

Much appreciated.

All being well St Oswalds will venture northwards eventually, so will be more accessible to you.

More scenics this weekend and hopefully loco renumbering.

Steve at Railtec has come up trumps with 3D printed smokebox number plates for 76073. 

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another productive day working on St Oswalds. 

The disused cattle dock is now finished using Ratio lineside fencing finished with Halfords grey primer and Valejo acrylics. It is influenced by Tarff goods yard.

St Oswalds. On the homeward straight!..

Static grass applied to dots of PVA using my trusty Noch Puffer Bottle on the cattle dock floor.

Working on the Will's crane today it is now weathered and thread fitted. The hook is glued down for a straight thread.

In the coal yard the staithes have been filled with real crushed coal. Coal bags and weighing scales have been added.

The old Ratio coach acting as a mess hut has been weathered and Microscale Liquid Glazing has been applied for the glazing.

Ratio telegraph poles are now in situ. The Ratio lineside fencing will be fixed once the backscene arrives from ID Backscenes.

A Woodland Scenics tree has also been made up. 

At the crossing keepers cottage a GPO telegraph pole has been added. Chimneys for the cottage are made up front plastic tubing of various widths.

The crossing infill has been made up from Daler mount board and scap rail. All weathered as previously mentioned.

A panoramic image reveals what can be achieved in one metre. The back scene can not not come soon enough.

After a test session using an old Hornby Terrier I put the Rails/Bachmann Caley 812 to work shunting the yard. No gremlins to report thankfully.

An Ivatt 2MT was also in action. In this case 46468. This is a modified Bachmann model with Comet Models Darlington skinny chimney.

Thankfully on the homeward straight now.

A few more scenic tweaks tomorrow and a Bachmann Standard Class 4MT 2-6-0 to renumber. Steve at Railtec has done a lovely 3D printed numberplate for 76073.

Another update tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Today has been very productive and other than await the arrival of the backscene and nameboard the layout is ready for the exhibition later in the month. 

Sankey Scenics provided signage for the coal yard. 

King Coal at St Oswalds

Rails/Bachmann Caley 812 Class 57566 is shunting in the coal yard. 

The SR brake van is old Cambrian kit built 30 years ago in the nurses home at Freedom Fields Hospital, Plymouth when I was a student nurse.

I'm not sure if it came from Martin Welch's 'Blue Peter' shop in Wilton Street

King Coal at St Oswalds

It has since been refinished to more modern standards and fitted with Lanarkshire Model Supplies cast buffers.

King Coal at St Oswalds

Bluebells, primroses and gorse bushes have been added using coloured flocks from Woodland Scenics.

King Coal at St Oswalds

Eagle eyed viewers will spot two black and white poles by the crossing. These were made from brass rod with a plastic tubed capping. 

Once sprayed with white primer the hoops were masked off with thin strips of Tamiya masking tape. Then they were given a coat of black spray paint. 

Period road signs to don the level crossing posts are due to arrive shortly.

Finally 46468 shunts the SR brake in the late afternoon.

King Coal at St Oswalds

Essentially other than sorting out the stock, backscene and layout sign it's good to go.

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Bit of an update on St. Oswalds today.

Thankfully after a combination of delivery shenanigans with ID Backscenes and Evri the backscene is now in situ.

St Oswalds

I haven't set up the lighting yet. That is a job for this coming Wednesday.

Signage for the layout and road signs is courtesy of the excellent Trackside Designs.

Link below:

www.tracksidedesigns.co.uk

Well worth a look. Just a happy customer.

St Oswalds

Here's a few snaps I've taken this afternoon. Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0  46468 seen at work. 

St Oswalds

St Oswalds

St Oswalds

More soon.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

That looks absolutely fabulous Mark 👌🏼

Backscene works well as muted (as it should) and the overall presentation looks great with the name too.

A cracking example of what can be achieved in less then a month (albeit I think you said you built one of the buildings offsite beforehand?)

Look forward to see the pics when the lighting is installed and I hope the show goes well 👍🏼

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/07/2023 at 06:39, bcnPete said:

That looks absolutely fabulous Mark 👌🏼

Backscene works well as muted (as it should) and the overall presentation looks great with the name too.

A cracking example of what can be achieved in less then a month (albeit I think you said you built one of the buildings offsite beforehand?)

Look forward to see the pics when the lighting is installed and I hope the show goes well 👍🏼

Thanks Pete.

An exhibition deadline always focuses the mind... 😅 

Pleased with how the backscene looks as well.

Off today so it's a case of finishing a few scenic tweaks, getting the lighting sorted and attaching the drapes.

Snaps later.

Then its just a case of packing up the stock and other bits and pieces ready for the weekend. 

Cheers,

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Bit of test running this morning after blending the backscene into the scenery.

The drapes and lighting are all up and running as well. Natural light with these snaps.

Here's a few snaps featuring Caley 512 Class 57566.

St Oswalds Testing

St Oswalds Testing

And the St Oswalds Permanent Way crew ready for the off. The figures are from Modelu. 

St Oswalds Testing

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

It's been a good day off today. I've essentially completed what I had planned to do on St Oswalds. .

The layout and stock and associated parifinalia is packed up ready for Saturday. 

St. Oswalds will be appearing at the Filey Show this coming Saturday at St. John's Church. 

Here's a few more snaps of Caley 812 Class 57566 shunting coal wagons.

St Oswalds-Crabby Mover...

A Briggs of Dundee tank courtesy of Harburn Hobbies in the consist. I need to finish weathering it but ran out of time.

Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 46468 shunts more coal wagons. The LMS 5 plank wagon is from Airfix with a Parkside chassis fitted.

The brake van is a Dapol/Airfix kit modified to an LNER variant. Cambrian kits are the source of the unfitted ex-LMS wagon.

Finally Dumfries 67E's Crab 42919 shunts the yard with a mix of coal wagons. This time of Dapol/Airfix and Cambrian heritage.

I've run out of time to complete BR Standard 4MT 2-6-0 76073 so this loco will appear at a later date

Cheers,

Mark 

Edited by 46444
Corrected from 67B to 67E...
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

31 minutes ago, 46444 said:

Finally Hurlford 67B's Crab 42919 shunts the yard with a mix of coal wagons. This time of Dapol/Airfix and Cambrian heritage.

Very evocative!

42919 was a Dumfries (68B/67E) engine for most of its time under British Railways (with its last two years at Ayr) so very appropriate for the location.

Edited by pH
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, pH said:

Very evocative!

42919 was a Dumfries (68B/67E) engine for most of its time under British Railways (with its last two years at Ayr) so very appropriate for the location.

Thanks pH. 

I knew 42919 was appropriate for the setting. It features regularly in photos of the area.

As for my varifocals misreading 67B for 67E on the model! Thanks for correcting me.

The Ivatt, 46468 is a ex-Cambridge, Oban shedded member of the Class.

Plans are afoot on the workbench to produce 46467 which was another Cambridge member of the Class which made its way north of the Border.

Again in later life based at 67E.

Thanks once again.

Mark 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bit of a Grumpus!...

A repainted and weathered Dapol Grampus waits collection from the old cattle dock siding.

Transfers for this wagon came from John Isherwood and his Cambridge Custom Transfers emporium.

St Oswalds Testing

Meanwhile 57655 keeps a Land Rover  waiting at the crossing.

St Oswalds Testing

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Excellent work as ever Mark - can't believe this has all come together in about 3 weeks 😳

Cracking set of photos as well - lighting and colour blends looks spot on.

Good luck with the show - hope you have that can of Lynx packed in the modelling box 🫢

Look forward to the show debrief...and to hear about your next layout plans.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Pete,

Thanks for your kind words.

Although essentially completed there's still a few things I would like to do with St Oswalds from a scenic point of view and from an operational view point.

All ready for the short trip to the venue this morning to set up.

Looking forwards to a good day meeting folks and running trains. 

St Oswalds Testing

Do say hello if you're visiting.

Filey Model Railway Exhibition 

St. John's Church

West Avenue 

Filey

More soon.

Cheers,

Mark

*Thankfully quite cool in Filey this morning so hopefully the emergency tin of Lynx won't be required....😅

Edited by 46444
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's been a good day at the Filey Show and hopefully it has raised funds for St. John's Church and the local community. 

St Oswalds was well received and performed faultlessly. 

Filey Expo....22/7/23

I must say how impressed I was with the performance of 57566. Between them Rails and Bachmann have produced a well performing loco.

With my version I have narrowed down the over thick tender flares to improve the appearance.

Filey Expo....22/7/23

Ivatt 2MT 46468 also performed well on the day. He she is seen toying with a Parkside LNER plywood van and a modified Dapol/Airfix brake van. Guard courtesy of Monty's Models.

Filey Expo....22/7/23

Finally we see 57566 on an engineers inspection saloon down the branch.

Filey Expo....22/7/23

In this instance a Hornby carriage renumbered with lowered footboards.

Thanks to Chris and the Filey exhibition team for a great day.

Cheers,

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 9