Brass Professional Signs

I am currently building a Langley V7 OO Terraced Villa Fronts, but I want to turn it into a set of houses that have been converted to a series offices for Professionals such as a Dentist, Accountant, Lawyer etc. As I remember such fixtures in the 60's were very discrete (non of your neon and gaudy signs) consisting simply of a brass plaque outside the front door. I have tried a web search but have not had any success. I have also e-mailed Langley and am waiting for their response. In the meantime, can anyone direct me to a source.

Thanks

Jim Theaker

Ontario

I am currently building a Langley V7 OO Terraced Villa Fronts, but I want to turn it into a set of houses that have been converted to a series offices for Professionals such as a Dentist, Accountant, Lawyer etc. As I remember such fixtures in the 60's were very discrete (non of your neon and gaudy signs) consisting simply of a brass plaque outside the front door. I have tried a web search but have not had any success. I have also e-mailed Langley and am waiting for their response. In the meantime, can anyone direct me to a source.

Thanks

Jim Theaker

Ontario

Not only were the signs discrete, they were small, maybe only 12" x 9", with lettering perhaps 1" high. This is 0.33mm in 00, barely legible. I would have thought a piece of polished brass shim with some dots or lines from a cd labelling pen would be sufficient. Don't forget the venetian blinds at the windows.

Guest Moria

Sounds like the sort of thing that would be as easy to do on a computer and print out, and affix to a small piece of plasticard painted wood colour?

Regards

Graham

I would suggest that you contact jim s-w.

He has some man hole covers on Birmingham New Street on which you can read the lettering.

It's certainly possible, from whatI have come across, to make the items that you require but it looks as though thay will need to be a one off special.

Bernard

I must admit i had not thought about the concept, but I suspect the small brass plates with misc dots and squiggles will ultimately be the answer. Now how does one model Venetian Blinds. I was planning on using a horizontal section of card painted a creamy/white across the window about 1/2 way up.

Can you print the text of your sign onto a piece of printer acetate and stick it to a piece of brass shim? You then have the gloss of the polish coloured by the brass. Or is acetate too thick?

Or you could go into an arty supplier and see if your could print onto gold card. Thinking girlie gift cards, but the ink may tend to droplet or smudge.

Or how about making up your sign in Word (I did the TaxiS sign for gwrrob and he mounted it http://www.rmweb.co....-gents-screen/) and printing onto glossy photo paper? You'd have to get the background colour right by experiment.

Don't know if any of this will work - just the product of a fevered imagination.

Archived