Q: Buy a new Lenz Set 101 or update a Set 100?

Kylestrome

• RMweb Premium

Here’s a question for any Lenz experts out there.

I have a simple terminus to fiddle yard layout where I mostly operate only ‘one engine in steam’. All the points and signals are worked mechanically/analogue and the only reason I use DCC is to enable the running of sound fitted locos. Up until recently, I have been quite happily using a Lenz Set 100 (LZV100 & LH100). I now have a few locos with more recent decoders and cannot use all their functions because I am limited to the old firmware (LZV100 = v3.5, LH100 = v3.0) which doesn’t go above F13.

I have a choice. I can either have my existing set updated by Lenz to firmware version 3.6 or trade my Set 100 for a new Set 101, for a much reduced price, which will have firmware version 4.0.

Bearing in mind my minimal requirements, which option makes most sense? Are there any great advantages that v4.0 has over v3.6 that would make any difference for my needs?

David

Edited by Kylestrome

I think it comes down to the handset.  The LH100 vs LH101.   I like the LH101, and find it better than the LH100.    Also, if the buttons on your LH100 are starting to get sticky, then whilst they can be cleaned (and may be with the "upgrade"), they'll deteriorate back again fairly quickly.  

Less important, but useful, the 101's command station has a USB port, which means computer can be connected without extra hardware for programming decoders.   Sound loco decoder changes (such as moving function keys around to different keys) has got sufficiently complex that I think software help is really needed to avoid mistakes.  

So, if the 101 option isn't lots more, consider that instead.    But either option will be fairly expensive, because Lenz stuff is expensive. 

• Thanks 1