Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Setting maximum speed

Steven B

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

My Farish 04 has a habbit of loosing the pins that hold the connecting rods to the wheels if the power is turned up too much.

I know I could install a decoder in it and through JMRI's Decoder Pro and set a maximum speed. What I'd like to know is would the maximum speed also apply if the loco is run on DC.

Happy modelling,

Steven B.

Hello,

My Farish 04 has a habbit of loosing the pins that hold the connecting rods to the wheels if the power is turned up too much.

I know I could install a decoder in it and through JMRI's Decoder Pro and set a maximum speed. What I'd like to know is would the maximum speed also apply if the loco is run on DC.

Happy modelling,

Steven B.

I don't know whether the crank pins have a thread on them or not but have you tried a little super glue on the pins when you put them back after they come loose.

If you set the speed or any other CV,these are stored on the chip & would have no bearing on DC. On DC the speed of a loco is governed by how much you turn up the control knob,in other words the more you turn the knob the more dc volts you put on the track.

Depends on the decoder - some will honour bits of the speed range stuff on DC, just like some will do lights and/or elements of sound.

If its under guarantee I think I'd start by sending it back however, and if not superglue sounds a good suggestion.

Loco;

if under guarantee, send it back.

I thought the pins were screw-in, and if not under guarantee, the smallest smear of varnish would be better than super-glue; its possible to undo the screws held with varnish.

DCC chips.

The best ones let you set the notional track-voltage which the loco runs at, which in turn means the top speed need not be set by the speed curve, leaving all the curve available for fine-tuning.

A decent chip should honour its settings when running on DC, but there is always the actual track voltage which might be different between an analogue and digital setup.

Archived