A difficult space

I am a great fan of US layouts, with multiple layouts but there are a couple of things to bear in mind, not least the size of some of those monsters and that by and large US HO locos are happy on sharper curves and steeper grades than their 00 counterparts.  I am not that sure about spirals, they gobble trackage,12 yards 48ft for a 1ft rise at1 in33 ish but 1ft is not really enough IMHO and 18" is my idea of a minimum pulling almost ever trick in the book and 2ft is better. Plus side is they make great linear storage if you don't mind your trains always  running in the same order. but 48ft or 72 or 96 take a fair time to climb and descend. Might not bother others but  trains running far more hidden mileage than visible would annoy me.

On 14/07/2023 at 14:06, Harlequin said:

I take the dioramas comment to mean "composed views" within the span of the layout rather than physically separate scenes.
(Have a look at Little Muddle, Chuffnell Regis and Stoke Courtenay for inspiration, if you haven't already.)

If that's the kind of thing you are aiming for then my advice is to keep the railway parts simple and achievable otherwise you will spend years on the technical stuff before you ever get any scenic satisfaction. Simple railways can be interesting to operate.

Some of these layouts are  basically  built on rectangular tables. Looking at Chuffnell Regis all the best photos are taken from the end which would be against the wall in a normal room and not possible to actually see. My terminus has the baseboard cut away  beyond the platform end where Chuffnel Regis has straight edged baseboards and foreground scenery, and that end on view is one of the best views on the layout, My platforms have enough of a curve so I can see the loco approach the buffers from my viewpoint and stop in time but this is only possible because I cut away baseboard where the tracks swing towards the wall at the station throat so or visitors you can get to see the trains approach or pass  almost end on.  I think views are important , but they should be jumbled together, station in a cutting or on an embankment or with  a road under or over nearby and usually a river nearby, usually under but not always.  And don't forget points and signals on bridges the full size has them...

• Like 1

Another thought, Railway Muddler has an article on a bloke who is downsizing his layout, keeping part selling part because he can't duck under and has difficulty accessing the loft.

If you are expecting to have the layout for your retirement spending a few bob up front could save a lot of grief.  Sheds are easier to access than Lofts. outward opening doors are a must if you have a lift out or lifting section blocking the door opening inwards.  If you have an accident you want people to be able to get in without the aid of a fire axe, and if over 29 a hinged lifting section is a lot easier than a duck under. I couldn't get into the shed  when my sciatica was bad until I engineered the lift out flap to be a hinged lifting flap one hand operable and to align perfectly every time.  Previously I had a layout 60" above floor level with a "Nod under"   Now a 60" layout and a 36" co exist perfectly as long as the 60" has lighting under for the 36" but 24 yards 8 turns of spiral could get tedious..   60" actually leaves the vast majority of the room available for other things, sleeping watching TV   maybe not a bathroom or kitchen but  it barely affects a workbench.   Anyway I'm writing instead of modelling because I hurt my back and can't get in the loft to access my stockpile of barely started projects just now ......

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Hi all, sorry for the late response - there are not enough hours in the day at the moment!

@Mopoke thank you for your message and for the link to the track plan, certainly food for though and as you say - anglicising!

@DCB firstly, sorry to hear about your back - feel better soon!!

Thank you for your thoughts, all very valid points.

I am lucky with my planned space as it is effectively an ordinary room (albeit with no natural light) accessed via a normal domestic staircase.   

Coincidentally, there has just been an advert on the T.V. for Stiltz home lifts, imagine arriving in the centre of your layout from below.....  but in all seriousness, the access does need to be given serious thought.

• Like 1

@Steam Revival Hi, if you are interested in a multi level layout with a swing bridge you might be interested in this chap’s YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/9MgNQUSB0PU

Whilst the design might not be suitable for your space, some of the concepts might be.  Unfortunately, it is not a how to do guide, but there is enough information to be helpful!

Good luck!

ACR

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1