Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

DCC Issues

Tamworth Stu

I have recently started a layout in DCC. My very good friend has done the baseboards, track and electrics for me (I am better at scenery).

The trains ran well but for some reason this weekend, most of the trains will only move on Address 2 despite all being given their own addresses.

I have a Hornby Select as that is all I can afford at the moment. 

I have tried to re-programme the locos without success.

If anyone has any ideas I would be extremely grateful.

You need to remove all other locos from the track when you do any programming to prevent them all getting reprogrammed at the same time, which is probably what has happened here.

Most people have a separate programming track, just a single piece of track or a rolling road, to avoid having this problem.

You now need to re-address your locos one by one.

Edited by smokebox
Typo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, smokebox said:

You need to remove all other locos from the track when you do any programming to prevent them all getting reprogrammed at the same time,

Been there, done that, have the T shirt!

As the Select doesn’t have a separate programming track output, programming is done at main track potential, not low power, so it is dead easy to reprogram the whole fleet by fumble fingering the buttons. Something as simple as holding the Select button too long and you are in the wrong mode. Anyone with a Select has likely done it inadvertently.

Relatively cheap fix for the "reprogram everything" problem is the "Autoswitch" which NCE sell - most NCE stockists probably carry them.   That provides an automatic device which provides a separate programming output, and thus prevents the problem occurring on the layout.