Weedon Depot forced perspective diorama

Good to see more dioramas in this section. One issue in fitting a scene onto a diorama is (as always) space - this can be addressed using forced perspective. Jack Nelson's venerable LNWR models, many of which are now in North Wales, are a demonstration of how to cope with the awkward geometries which result. An alternative approach is to use 3D printing, and let the computer deal with at last some of the geometrical conundrums.

The photo in my 'diorama-a-day' series below shows a recent project, at the part-painted stage, looking rather untidy. The model is small even at the front, as can be seen from the centimetre squares on the cutting mat, and the portcullis gatehouse at the far end is tiny. This is a MUCH simplified representation of part of Weedon Depot, a thread on which was recently revived. The lift bridge carried a ?man/mule worked narrow gauge line over the branch canal.

DGAGM5I.jpg

And here is a different view, before painting, showing how I contrived the forced perspective. The tramway gauge is about 2.5mm.

wLkEPMY.jpg

The thread on the prototype is at https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/147492-weedon-royal-ordnance-depot. As @Tony Teague suggested, it is an interesting subject for a mixed NG/SG model, albeit those warehouse are large without forced perspective.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Image of the narrow gauge rolling bridge at Weedon under construction, copied across from the other thread. Though I remembered the cylindrical tank, which I think might have been used as a counterbalance whose weight could be changed to roll the bridge, it looks as if I forgot the radiused section on which it rolled.

22554803_528942170785691_358996278378925

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The Weedon Depot diorama has now been 'boxed', using a Hobbycraft 'deep frame' extended with a 3D printed spacer and a frosted perspex screen behind - frosted using a sanding block. 

M43yUU6.jpg

aKeRUXw.jpg

I'm still not sure about this approach - perhaps it needs some more (multiscale) life? 

• Like 1