Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Marlow End: Bucks Branches in the 80's + 90's (4mm) a day out to the Prototype

NickL2008

• RMweb Premium

I do indeed (unless you're referring to our esteemed Mike @The Stationmaster).

It was on 30 January 1977 and was in connection with a French film called "All Cats Are Grey" - the weather was suitably similar!  Three Class 31s were used, 31421 and 31241 at the "country end" and 31118 at the London end plus three Mk1 coaches.  I don't think they actually moved during the filming but I could be wrong as I wasn't there all day.  The bottom picture shows them departing.

It was a Sunday so there was no scheduled service on the branch in those days, that wasn't restored until June 1984.

P-BR-77001_3142131241BourneEnd30-1-77.jpg.6bf82f694c132ff9710fa0cdab796245.jpg

P-BR-77002_31118BourneEnd30-1-77.jpg.ee1fba2b7f1dc0da6033f3dbe547df5f.jpg

P-BR-77003_31118BourneEnd30-1-77.jpg.1af538e0c54b297a98e313d024414cff.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

Hi- amazing and interesting shots and showing what interesting combinations visited the Donkey and Henley-On-Thames over the years! 

Certainly has given me some options to consider, ironically I did have a rake of NSE Mk 2a's (Bachmann) even couple of 50s as well for the layout mentioned in the introduction, I do wonder if I could get away with the Accurascale ones that are due to come out, as they're Mk 2c's and would need space for 2 locos and perhaps 4 coaches maximum, although theres not much difference visually that i can see and remember between the different types.

On a side note: Popped to Roxley models and saw one of the Accurascale 37s, the only one they had left, and got the second pair of points so tomorrow when I'm back home I can lay everything down and get the copper sleepers between the boards cut.

I did just remember I have some Peco individualay sleepers and chairs (Pandarol clips?) In stock when I had the idea to use that as the track and during my visit down to Devon last year

NL

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you want an excuse for Class 50 at Bourne End then here it is!  50035 'Ark Royal' on the platform 2 blocks and on display on 25 September 1986 as part of a joint NSE/Marlow-Maidenhead Passengers' Association event.

R-BR-346_BR5502050035BourneEnd25-9-86.jpg.2a6875116be98cd7732826b2f03c715f.jpg

55020 was operating a Bourne End - Marlow shuttle all day with Class 117 L417 (the first to gain NSE paint) working between Maidenhead and Bourne End.

A certain well-known MD likes to claim credit for this but he hadn't started his railway career at that time although he was on the MMPA committee (poacher turned game keeper?) and is now a major shareholder in "The Ark".  To say he's slightly obsessed with Hoovers is an understatement.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

If you want an excuse for Class 50 at Bourne End then here it is!  50035 'Ark Royal' on the platform 2 blocks and on display on 25 September 1986 as part of a joint NSE/Marlow-Maidenhead Passengers' Association event.

R-BR-346_BR5502050035BourneEnd25-9-86.jpg.2a6875116be98cd7732826b2f03c715f.jpg

55020 was operating a Bourne End - Marlow shuttle all day with Class 117 L417 (the first to gain NSE paint) working between Maidenhead and Bourne End.

A certain well-known MD likes to claim credit for this but he hadn't started his railway career at that time although he was on the MMPA committee (poacher turned game keeper?) and is now a major shareholder in "The Ark".  To say he's slightly obsessed with Hoovers is an understatement.

I have 50017 on pre-order from Accurascale, as soon as I saw it immediatley pre-ordered it. Interesting photo, dont' remember the GWR bubblecar as I think it was repainted in the late 80s which was a pity, but I guess the livery was always a "one off" for the GWR special event

NL

• Like 1

The big problem O always find with what ifs in nice little lines like this , are the lack of freight opportunities .

Marlow isn't scunthorpe , or Margam so it's really limited .

In my head the readers digest factory moved from Aylesbury to the industrial estate on the approach to marlow station - this an excuse to send out mags in parcels stock . The bourne end - wycombe line stayed open to help enable this .

Timber traffic continued to the old sawmill ( which remained ) giving another excuse in my head fir some freight .

Gravel traffic from little Marlow pits can be sent out by rail too ... there was actually a little narrow gauge set up there for taking it around the site 

• Tempfix
8 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

I have 50017 on pre-order from Accurascale, as soon as I saw it immediatley pre-ordered it. Interesting photo, dont' remember the GWR bubblecar as I think it was repainted in the late 80s which was a pity, but I guess the livery was always a "one off" for the GWR special event

NL

There was only one GWR bubble and it was one of the first repainted into NSE so it didn’t carry it long. According to the railcar site it was already in NSE by Oct 87.

Rich

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

55020 was painted chocolate and cream for the ill-fated GW150 celebrations in 1985.  In addition Tyseley based Class 117 T305 was painted chocolate and cream about the same time and that lasted much longer - long enough to make a one-time appearance on the branch on 31 August 1991 for another MMPA gala day.

R-BR-875_BRT305SpadeOakCrossing31-8-91.jpg.1dbb444306e9376ba6a69f7342f1886a.jpg

Young Mr Hopwood was involved professionally in arranging this.  I recall it arrived some hours late - a 2-car Met-Cam set having stood in - and is seen approaching Spade Oak crossing bound for Marlow not Blaenau Ffestiniog as the blind claims.  The crews had much fun displaying a different unlikey destination on every trip but the public probably never noticed.  The event was organised to showcase the new Turbos, 165005 was borrowed from Chiltern for the day for display at Bourne End; it would be another two years before they started working the branch.

A link Marlow to Henley running along the south bank of the river was proposed by the GWR at the turn of the 19th/20th century but ran into severe NIMBY opposition and was dropped.

It was the timber traffic that led to the demolition of the old Marlow station but the traffic finished a couple of years later.  Frustratingly, we've never found a picture of these trains that came from Bow Creek worked by Stratford Brush Type 2s, occasionally EE Type 3s and on one occasion a pair of BTH Type 1s which was brave move by someone!

The Marlow Sand & Gravel Co.'s 2' gauge operation is likewise frustrating.  I used to walk the dog down there but took it for granted and never bothered to take any photos.  A lesson for all; nothing is for ever - record it while you can.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Rich Papper said:

There was only one GWR bubble and it was one of the first repainted into NSE so it didn’t carry it long. According to the railcar site it was already in NSE by Oct 87.

Rich

I've been researching 55020 and as you say it didn't last long in GWR150.... but in that time the roof did weather quite quickly! Also on flickr there are photos of it subsituting a 117, then with a DPU and also a DTS so had some interesting formations!

Class 121 DMU W55020 & Class 128 W55991, Taplow, 02-07-86

T305 seems to be on loads of excursions so almost any  late 80s/early 90s layout has an excuse to run one! I'm having a bash at doing 117305 when it was hanging around Penzance towards the end of it's days.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Good evening,

So some experimentation. after seeing the pins I had were conductive, I thought id trial out some droppers using the panel pins, with wire soldering to the bottom of the pin, which make contact with the underneath of the rail. Im guessing there don't need to be loads of them , just enough to power all of the track; perhaps one per section?

And of course which will be covered using ballast and of course weathered etc:

DSC_00131.JPG.36a0df19f5cfd174af2e72e48a93970b.JPG

I did also think to perhaps trip the webbing of the Bullhead track, and even opened out the square hole of one of the undersides of the sleepers on a spare peice of track I had; albeit the wire I used was one generic thickness, so another visit to the shop tomorrow may be needed to see if they have different thicknesses of wire to make the DCC "Bus"

I decided to go with the cork in the end as running was quieter with the sheet in situ

NL

• Like 1

• NickL2008 changed the title to Marlow End: Bucks Branches in the late 80s + 90s (4mm)

Hi -

A major milestone today for Board #1 was track laid down and finally wired up; for this I went with the traditonal wire droppers, theyve all gone on fine so thanks to @brossard for the advice. An afternoon spent ensuring everything works has produced this major milestone with this board, particualry lthe run around area for the loco hauled trains. Typically being sunny all day then when I go to snap the progress shot, it clouds over. youtube video also uploaded to show it in action with my hamfisted / eloqant   method of switching the points (for now), next I will be looking at point motors so that the points can be operted from the controller rather than manually, so far Im looking at the cobalt / Seep point motors possibly

DSC_00241.JPG.cab86b9c6dd13fa69a8ee0b3f78dd9bc.JPG

NL

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NickL2008 said:

Hi -

A major milestone today for Board #1 was track laid down and finally wired up; for this I went with the traditonal wire droppers, theyve all gone on fine so thanks to @brossard for the advice. An afternoon spent ensuring everything works has produced this major milestone with this board, particualry lthe run around area for the loco hauled trains. Typically being sunny all day then when I go to snap the progress shot, it clouds over. youtube video also uploaded to show it in action with my hamfisted / eloqant   method of switching the points (for now), next I will be looking at point motors so that the points can be operted from the controller rather than manually, so far Im looking at the cobalt / Seep point motors possibly

DSC_00241.JPG.cab86b9c6dd13fa69a8ee0b3f78dd9bc.JPG

NL

I'm happy to know my advice helped in some way.

If I can offer further advice, use Cobalts or other make of slow motion motor.  Combined with stationary decoders, the performance is great.

My point motors (Tortoise/Wabbit) are operated from momentary push buttons on the fascia:

P1010006-002.JPG.de1102106c2de27bd2617f7fae265ff4.JPG

Buttons are mimicked on the rear fascia so control can be done from either side.

We have a tendency to spontaneously change turnouts with our stomachs, so best to inset the buttons.  I'll get around to doing that some day.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Good afternoon,

Work has been going on in the background for Marlow end, and with the arrival of board #3, things really have progressed well, so here I am back with another update. This board will be the main "control"  board housing the controller as well as the signal and points control section. Attached to the front is the caddy holder for the DCC controller. As santa has brought one for Christmas this is now sorted also, so I can get to work chipping all my stock and installation sound etc. For the layout pointwork I haeve gone for Cobolt "IP digital" motors, which will be easy enough to install after watching plenty of online tutorials and studying the instructions religiously.

The front fascia has now gone on, which also acts as part of the "lid" to keep everything safe and hopefully Dust free. Thoughts then turned to lighting one of the important aspects. I found some flat lights in Homebase which looked ideal, and came in a "warm white" also - perfect! To mount them they are screwed int othe top supports and then the wire can be attached onto the supports and then fed through to the outside of the board - simple and easy.

Pics below are a bit old now as things have been tridyed up, and the track soldered. The road bridge is in place; this was assembled back during Covid and placed in store since so this has been used.

DSC_0152.JPG.4e95f00c8f62d83e19ec0a0376d0b6d3.JPG

bridge..JPG.2f65fc1c029f2008ca2954f786cf6b73.JPG

It still requires a bit of tidying up and then the road added to it. So, here we have the first few vehicles for the layout a Ford Granada coupe and a VW Jetta, both of which will hopefully fit in "Era 1" . A trip to Halfords has yielded "Ford Colorado Red" and "BMW Cosmos Black" for both vehicles. Theyve been washed and primed so are ready for painting and detailing. 

cars.JPG.c83dc1d976dc463fff9d71b0ae0c5e0b.JPG

DSC_0141.JPG.382a513fc9fb36a964b822930a58c2bb.JPG

Hopefully more soon

NL

• Like 5

• NickL2008 changed the title to Marlow End: Bucks Branches in the 80's + 90's (4mm) Let there be Light-s
  • 1 month later...

Looking forward to the layout coming to life! Certainly will provide an interesting experience to see this in action! Will you be getting a Bachmann turbo and converting it to a 165? Would be great to see a two car unit gracing the branch!

On 07/03/2024 at 22:49, WCML100 said:

Looking forward to the layout coming to life! Certainly will provide an interesting experience to see this in action! Will you be getting a Bachmann turbo and converting it to a 165? Would be great to see a two car unit gracing the branch!

I've got a 165 that was converted a while back. I'm not happy with the chassis so reworking it, and adding 3D printed lights also as well

NL

• Like 1

Hi,

There's been plenty of work done on Marlow End. Lots of small jobs completed, wiring has been tidied up and trains can now run from board 2 to 3. Board 1 has also had work done on it and has the ground signals, which await wiring to link them with the motor. Board 2 now has the sleepers sprayed and rail sides painted also: they're still a work in progress as the colors still need a bit of adjustment and weathering added. The sleepers were sprayed with various mixtures of Vallejo and the rail sides were a mixture of rail red, white, orange and sleeper grime, mixed until I was happy with the shade, the grimy black with be added where the fish plates are greased and wear:

DSC_0016.JPG.bb02b16b9ea06f45ece9de72f7f97b27.JPG

DSC_00152.JPG.6c499266fd08b14acdd05394f1305b90.JPG

More soon

NL

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 11/03/2024 at 10:10, WCML100 said:

Looking good mate! Colours look spot on!

Thank you, the sides are still bright, something I can hopefully work on when I get back home tomorrow. The sleepers are little dark, so going to add "faded" colors to them to represent the timbers being out in all weathers

NL

Hi,

More photos of progress,. Ground signals now have been added to the station headshunt area. These will be linked up to the Cobalt IP digital motors. To keep things portable, ill link them up to a "removable" control panel.

3.jpg.a6568602f001f64c634567a492933c2d.jpg

A visit to a closing down Homebase yeilded these nice small catches, so theyve been tested and draw the fronts of the boards together nicely so now everything slots together nicely and is solid

2.jpg.41ad1dad34ce71e902818e37245ee947.jpg

Whilst working on arranging everything thoughts turned to the area surrounding the station. With the housing kit that started everything. It fits perfectly outside the station area. Ive gone for a layout simlar to that found outside of Bourne End, Ill look into getting street lights. The housekit itself has had some TLC also. Ive added some Wills brick sheeting and remade sills and Lintel. The roof will be widened also and re-textured

1.jpg.8b297b1b392541641e1c0d83e0eb3d2f.jpg

More soon

NL

• Like 3

Hi,

A session with the airbrush outside in the garden yesterday whilst the weather wasnt too bad for spraying. Ive tweaked the track color further, by adding in some light tones using some Beige-Brown, sprayed on neat and then mixed with white to represen the bleached look of the sleeper timbers

thumbnail_DSC_0018.jpg.13e8530ddd37c8373dc32d2232bb485c.jpg

thumbnail_DSC_0019.jpg.24ac5328e29cedbc0d4676ad08be2555.jpg

I think ive got the look more or less right. Next I brushed on some black to represent the grease around the fishplates. I should of used black, but the Grey-black was all I had access to. I'll probably get the black, and mix in some talcum powder to add texture

thumbnail_DSC_0020.jpg.7f3e396482ce1b39d0484f158fb1b745.jpg

I also exprimented with ballast. I used some Hornby ballast, mixed in with some "brown" and "grey mixture" legacy ballast. Again work in progress but more or less looking nearly there, I just need to remove the "pinkish" look so I got some guagemaster 2mm ballast, although sadly this looks a bit too dark [grey] but we'll see. Ive washed it so I will see how it dries and looks when mixed in a little:

thumbnail_DSC_0017.jpg.c64589f64b8c24e44dca99fb6c39634a.jpg

Thanks for looking

NL

• Like 4

Looking good, track colour looks spot on now!

Regarding ballast, I have been experimenting with Chinchilla sand (£4 a bag from Pets at Home). I got the idea from New Junction on youtube, thought as it looked realistic both colour and size wise, is was worth a shot being so cheap. May be worth testing it out for yourself! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WCML100 said:

Looking good, track colour looks spot on now!

Regarding ballast, I have been experimenting with Chinchilla sand (£4 a bag from Pets at Home). I got the idea from New Junction on youtube, thought as it looked realistic both colour and size wise, is was worth a shot being so cheap. May be worth testing it out for yourself! 

Thank you, it took a few hours but the end result I'm pleased with now. That sounds an interesting idea, I had a look on their website, looks good, I'll grab a bag this weekend whilst out and about and see what it's like

NL

• Like 1

Hi,

So this weekend, I investigated @WCML100 s suggestion of the sand. It looked ok, So I mixed in some and now the ballast looks a bit more "Grey". Ballasting then commenced, by carefully "dusting the ballast onto the rails, using a brush to tidy up any "over-ballasted" areas, particularly around the sleepers. Once happy I then applied on a solution of water, PVA and washing up liquid through a dropper until the entire area was covered. Whilst that drys, I've noticed there's a short happening with board #3; the points are causing it, so I suspect the frog wire that is attached to the inner lines needs to be removed? Pic below:

DSC_0021.JPG.def666ea99c707f54a85e79a82da93ff.JPG

Once worked out, it'll be this boards turn for ballasting and sleeper painting etc.

NL

• Like 3