Cleveland Iron Ore Diorama

No, not Cleveland in NE England, though there was an iron industry there, rather over to Cleveland on the Great Lakes in the US for today's 'diorama-a-day'. Those monstrous machines, the Huletts once scooped iron ore out of Lakes ore carriers into railroad gondolas to be hauled to the steel plants. On the wharf, narrow gauge third rail electric mules moved the cars under the loaders, as shown in this historic footage. Note the live centre rail, with a wood cover to offer some protection to the workforce - the rail was contacted from the side, I believe.

And here is my diorama. The mule is 3D printed, but the gondola is a cheap Chinese toy, suitably weathered for its steel plant role in life. Track was Tri-ang, with the narrow gauge track cut down the middle, with a lolly stick cover for the rail. I got that bit wrong - it should have been rather higher and narrower. A suitably American period pickup was found on Thingiverse and printed to help establish the Stateside setting for British eyes.

Cleveland

This montage was an attempt to put the diorama in context with the Hulett loaders. A better photo editing tool would have made a more convincing job of marrying the two images.

Ore2

At least one of these shunters has been preserved - in this case at Youngstown Museum. Note the retractable pusher gear on the side of the loco.

20220716_090354_Small.jpg

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/jandl-58-experience-first-weekend-picture-heavy

Edited by Dunalastair
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1