7mm PCB sleepers for soldering

I don't know if anybody has need for this. But I made double PCB sleepers with mounting holes to solder your tracks on.

NDoExdt.jpg

On the following link you can find a zip file. If you download it you can upload these so-called gerber files at my PCB supplier,  JLCPCB.com

https://github.com/bask185/Train-Science-DIY/tree/master/PCB/bullhead_sleeper/jlcpcb/production_files

I made over a 100 for under €20,-

Regards,

Bas

• Like 2

Can you show track made with these?  I assume the long lengths are the sleepers and rail is soldered to the plated bit.  I don't fancy filling all those holes.  Soldered track also suffers from lack of daylight where the chairs go.

John

If you mean the big holes. They are meant for screws and/or nails. These things are ment to be as robust as possible. You can always fill 'em with... idk something. I recommend painting them anyways. That will also cover the small holes which are already near invisible.

I have no layout at this time which uses them, so I made this. I didn't use much solder.QjgX7mM.jpg

gyjcoWA.jpg

SvhjwiL.jpg

Soldered track also suffers from lack of daylight where the chairs go

I am from across the small pond. I litterly have no idea what you mean with this 🙈

Also for anybody who actually wants to order them. There is a box somewhere that says: "remove order number", check that box.... or use more paint

Kind regards,

Bas

These look hugely useful for holding track firmly at baseboard edges. I made oodles of very similar ones for my layout by hand, from fibreglass PCB, and €20 for a hundred sounds like a major bargain compared with the time and effort involved in that exercise!

3 hours ago, Bas Knippels said:

If you mean the big holes. They are meant for screws and/or nails. These things are ment to be as robust as possible. You can always fill 'em with... idk something. I recommend painting them anyways. That will also cover the small holes which are already near invisible.

I have no layout at this time which uses them, so I made this. I didn't use much solder.QjgX7mM.jpg

gyjcoWA.jpg

SvhjwiL.jpg

I am from across the small pond. I litterly have no idea what you mean with this 🙈

Also for anybody who actually wants to order them. There is a box somewhere that says: "remove order number", check that box.... or use more paint

Kind regards,

Bas

I am in Canada and modelling British style 0 gauge.  British track uses cast iron chairs that lift the rail above the sleepers.  In 00 you might get away with it, but not in 0.  Your picture shows chaired track.

13 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

These look hugely useful for holding track firmly at baseboard edges. I made oodles of very similar ones for my layout by hand, from fibreglass PCB, and €20 for a hundred sounds like a major bargain compared with the time and effort involved in that exercise!

Agree, they look like they could be useful for track ends at baseboard joins.  My 0 gauge layout doesn't use anything, the track (Peco) is robust enough (3 shows attended to date).   You would need a pretty big layout if you are using 100 of these for track end reinforcement.  You can get lost wax brass chairs which would help for track ends. 

John

We must have different standards of ‘robust’. My view is that one snagged sleeve on an exposed end of ordinary Peco 0 scale track is quite enough to cause troublesome damage, added to which, I doubt any cast chairs would fit the rather chunky (Code 200) rail that I use to accommodate the flanges of vintage rolling stock.

Personally, I reckon there is a market for these, but bought in twos in a little plastic bag by mail order, rather than having to go to a PCB maker. If I were the OP, I’d bag-up the 100, and put an advert in the Railway Modeller selling them at, say, £5 a pair. I think they’d go.

Edited by Nearholmer

Just now, Nearholmer said:

We must have different standards of ‘robust’. My view is that one snagged sleeve on an exposed end of ordinary Peco 0 scale track is quite enough to cause troublesome damage, added to which, I doubt any cast chairs would fit the rather chunky (Code 200) rail that I use to accommodate the flanges vintage rolling stock.

Personally, I reckon there is a market for these, but bought in twos in a little plastic bag by mail order, rather than having to go to a PCB maker. If I were the OP, I’d bag-up the 100, and put an advert in the Railway Modeller selling them at, say, £5 a pair. I think they’d go.

I am concerned about track end damage, Peco is not invulnerable.  However, I use track end protectors (plywood bolted to the ends) when transporting and these are left in place until time to join the boards.  As I say, 3 shows down and no unzipped track.

In 00, it's a different story.  The new club layout, under construction, will use brass screws at track ends.

I have played around with cast chairs (C&L) and still have a few.  They are pretty expensive, and require fettling to get the rail in.

I wonder what others who model Finescale think.

Shipping these in small numbers across the water is likely to be prohibitive.  Better to team up with someone in UK I think.

John

21 hours ago, brossard said:

Agree, they look like they could be useful for track ends at baseboard joins

This is where I designed them for. My very first modulair layout took damage on my very first trip. I knew already that similar sleepers existed. After my damage I finally understood why they were important to use.

The original design had no screw holes and were 8 sleepers long. I had to saw/break them and drill holes for the screw. That material is quite tough, so especially the hole drilling was a bit difficult.

21 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

rather than having to go to a PCB maker

You don't know how incredibly simple that procedure is. I even have written a Dutch guide for it. Though it is more of a checklist as the process is kinda self explanatory. It also has pictures: https://train-science.com/printplaten-bestellen-bij-jlcpcb/

I don't know what kind of customs problems to expect when shipping to UK. Or how much that costs? Perhaps that one of your local shops like Hattons or Rails of Sheffield would wanna try it out?

Bas