The Fall of the First Hymek - 50th Anniversary

Halvarras

I have great affection for them.  At a critical period in my life they took me to and from Paddington to see my family in South Wales.  They were then green, and the coaches maroon.  Not by chance that is the period I now model.  Only one Hymek, though - in green.

Edited by teeinox
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, teeinox said:

I have great affection for them.  At a critical period in my life they took me to and from Paddington to see my family in South Wales.  They were then green, and the coaches maroon.  Not by chance that is the period I now model.  Only one Hymek, though - in green.

Has to be the best livery - and similar to that applied to the production Deltics so in illustrious company!

Those brand new Type 3s weren't half hammered on those South Wales services though.....although the sound effects must have been glorious!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, andyman7 said:

That hole in the canal boundary wall was still there in 1985, the one and only time I bunked a shed. By then it was 50s and 47s of course...

I had no idea it lasted that long. 15 years after your bunking experience I visited OOC on 6th August 2000 for the Open Days that weekend and the signage made it quite clear that such activity would land one with a £1000 fine (it's the same at St Blazey just 10 minutes down the road from my home). It was fun while it lasted - which can be applied to a great many things these days sadly........

• Like 2

An anniversary that will probably go unnoticed by many, but worth visiting all the same. I saw D7000 a few times, the first was on the blocks at Padd, ticking over with that lovely Maybach rasp filling the air. Never had it for haulage but did have D7100 shortly before it was withdrawn. I’m looking forward to seeing all four surviving Hymeks at the Severn Valley gala next month!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As a one-time regular visitor to 81A (as we knew it in the late 1960s and through the 70s, none of that OOC rubbish for us pre-TOPS lads), it was a thirty-minute bike ride from home for myself and another twenty minutes extra for my mates of the time. We only managed to get turned out once in over decade of visiting almost every other week. My first visit was with trepidation wandering down the entrance road, but once I saw the turntable before me filled to the brim with lovely hydraulics, all vestiges of fear departed in a flash. I do recall the missing concrete fence panels which was the preferred entrance for many I know, perhaps less brazen lads. My last visit was in February 1991, and it was a pale and depressing shadow of what I once knew and loved. I have seen photos of the place since and looked on Google Earth too.

They say, never go back...

And it's with good reason.

Kevin

• Like 4
  • Agree 1