GWR flat flame gas and incandescent gas lights on coaches.

I was looking at some of John Lewis’ additional info on GW 40ft composites on @kada33’s excellent website and noticed he had very helpfully noted the different dates of fitting first flat flame and then incandescent gas lights on the coaches. 

This set me wondering what if any were the physical differences that could be observed from outside the coach eg at the end or on the roof? Does anyone have photo references they can share showing the actual observable (and modelable (in 2 and 4mm scale) differences? 

Regards and thanks for any info,

Duncan

• Like 1

What was the reason for the large circular mount?, was it to cover the hole from the previous oil lamps.

whilst on the subject of lamps, can anyone point me in the direction of, the dimensions of the top cover of the oil, and gas lamps, i can't seem to find it anywhere.

Stephen

My thoughts regarding the size of the mounting plate is that the larger size was necessary because the coaches were originally built with oil lighting (a much larger fitting) requiring a larger hole in the roof, so converted coaches needed the bigger plate to cover said hole.

Unfortunately, when I built my coaches in 2mm I neglected to notice this, so all of my gas lit coaches (all single pipe) have a small plate.

There we’re a couple of articles by John Lewis in early BRJ’s on coach lighting. I will see if I can find them as I know there were drawings included.

Ian

Edited by Ian Smith
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, magmouse said:

The John Lewis articles are in BRJ 13 and 16, and include cross-section drawings of both oil and gas lamps.

Nick.

the earliest BRJ I have is 24, so before my collection started.

• 1 month later...