2 Supplies - 1 Track - bypassing a current sensor

alibuchan

Hi All,

I'm after a bit of help and guidance.

We are installing a detection system into our modular layout, using the YaMoRC LN6061 system so that we can run dispatch control in our modular meets and follow the locos around the layout.

However, when we are out at other groups meet-ups, we would prefer to be able to bypass the system, so that the other groups are not forced into using the DCC system that we are using.

The common negative feeds have a very simple solution, of just putting the plugs at each end and ignoring it. Easy peasy!

The separately wired positive connections are causing more issues. 

I have 15 sections on my module, one thought was to wire single pole double throw (SPDT) switches in between the YaMoRC LN6061 board and each of the track sections, as per the (incredibly crude) drawing below.

IMG_4750.jpeg.0200d27214a9baa2d9d5e19b106051eb.jpeg

However, I was wondering if there was some way of doing this without having to manually throw a bank of switches each time, possibly using some sort of bridge rectifier circuit.

Hopefully, someone out there will be able to assist.

Al

I don't see an LN6061 on the Yamork product list. Do you mean the YD6016LN ?

Anyway I don't see any need for switching to bypass the detectors, the track current can still pass through the detectors when using a different system and the outputs are not being used.

Surely the incoming DCC is seperate from the Loconet as shown in the diagrams. Presumably your modular standard has a DCC connection board to board that will provide the feed if using someone elses command station. What you have shown as +ve and -ve, more commonly labelled as J and K (following Lenz).

Incidentally, in your diagram it should be the +ve, red, connected to the common of the detector module, as you have it -ve, black, goes to both sides of the track when switched through the module.

The term "DC" covers a multitude of sins. Is it really pure DC or some form of pulsed supply or half-wave rectified + DC, or, ...?

I would thoroughly test a module on the "DC" supply before committing to anything.

On 06/08/2023 at 12:11, alibuchan said:

Yes it is the YD6061LN.

If the other groups don’t have a DCC system that offers LocoNet, then there is no incoming DCC supply to the board for it to distribute.

Can the unit not be powered from the USB?  

I'm interested in the solution in relation to a proposed club layout, which, whilst being proposed as DCC, I think needs to be DC compatible.

These modules do not work on DC but they will pass DC through them. I do this all the time when I want to test or run in a DC loco, hence my advice above.  All I do is set the turnouts to a route I want, take the other locos off the layout, and change the power from DCC to DC then turn up the DC throttle and leave the loco running for an hour or so.

Everyone, as is aften the case, is trying to make things more complex than it is.

7 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

These modules do not work on DC but they will pass DC through them. I do this all the time when I want to test or run in a DC loco, hence my advice above.  All I do is set the turnouts to a route I want, take the other locos off the layout, and change the power from DCC to DC then turn up the DC throttle and leave the loco running for an hour or so.

Everyone, as is aften the case, is trying to make things more complex than it is.

That's great.  I wasn't expecting them to work on DC, but was concerned that passing DC through them may result in damage to the unit.  When you're running DC, are your accessories still DCC operated, which means that the YoMoRC units are still powered through LocoNet? I note that the Railcom version seems to be powered from the track or accessory bus.