Help Needed : Fleischmann N Gauge Locomotive ES64 U2 095 Paint damage

• RMweb Premium

I ve recently tracked down and obtained an N gauge Fleischmann 731116 ES64 U2 095 locomotive in Dispolok Livery. The model arrived safely with no missing pieces etc (Miracle in itself ) All was well until l noticed what l thought was a fleck of dust or fluff sitting on one cab roof. As usual l used a soft brush to move the item off the model. To my horror its wasn't a fleck of dust but a small patch of the base colour showing through the black roof, and as l brushed it a larger chunk of the black roof colour came away as well. I suspect that the Pan arm that sits directly over the damaged area has been pushed down onto the roof damaging the paint during transit.

Does any one know of someone that could help in repairing the damage?

I ve tried Fleischmann's spares web site but there are no spare body shells available, so l need to repair the existing model, can anyone help please?

Bob C

IMG_2443.JPG

IMG_2448.JPG

IMG_2451.JPG

Edited by Blobrick

22 minutes ago, Blobrick said:

I ve recently tracked down and obtained an N gauge Fleischmann 731116 ES64 U2 095 locomotive in Dispolok Livery. The model arrived safely with no missing pieces etc (Miracle in itself ) All was well until l noticed what l thought was a fleck of dust or fluff sitting on one cab roof. As usual l used a soft brush to move the item off the model. To my horror its wasn't a fleck of dust but a small patch of the base colour showing through the black roof, and as l brushed it a larger chunk of the black roof colour came away as well. I suspect that the Pan arm that sits directly over the damaged area has been pushed down onto the roof damaging the paint during transit.

Does any one know of someone that could help in repairing the damage?

I ve tried Fleischmann's spares web site but there are no spare body shells available, so l need to repair the existing model, can anyone help please?

Bob C

IMG_2443.JPG

IMG_2448.JPG

IMG_2451.JPG

A bit of an over-reaction?

New bodyshell?

Pot of black paint, paintbrush, apply small dab, job done!

CJI.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

A bit of an over-reaction?

New bodyshell?

Pot of black paint, paintbrush, apply small dab, job done!

CJI.

My thinking was that the Fleischmann boby shells come as a body only, and would require the glass, pans and other details to be sourced from the original shell, and therefore  hopefully being cheaper than seeking professional intervention. Whilst a simple dab of suitable colour sounds to be the easiest approach, with the damage on the upper surface, any repair of that nature will be very evident, and l d like to try and avoid that if possible, 

Bob C

2 minutes ago, Blobrick said:

My thinking was that the Fleischmann boby shells come as a body only, and would require the glass, pans and other details to be sourced from the original shell, and therefore  hopefully being cheaper than seeking professional intervention. Whilst a simple dab of suitable colour sounds to be the easiest approach, with the damage on the upper surface, any repair of that nature will be very evident, and l d like to try and avoid that if possible, 

Bob C

From the photos, it does not appear that the damage extends beyond flaking of the black paint - is there physical damage to the underlying body moulding?

Assuming not, it would not be difficult to build up (matt?) black paint, in several thin layers, in order to completely eliminate the damage.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

As best l can see there is no under lying damage to the moulding itself.  Indeed building up layers of a suitable matched colour could alleviate the problem, being further improved with a coat of varnish at both ends to help them match. However in my case age has caught up with me and l do not trust my eyes to such a delicate task, hence my cry for help.

Bob C

• Blobrick changed the title to Help Needed : Fleischmann N Gauge Locomotive ES64 U2 095 Paint damage