Howes steam sounds with added wheelslip

big jim

• RMweb Gold

in another thread it was mentioned that certain howes steam sound chips would be good if they had added wheelslip, well guess what, bryan (howes) had already done one and has been fine tuning it so to speak, now he's 100% happy with it now so it has been released on sale as of this week

limited to just the west country/battle of britain at present but if it proves popular then he will roll it out onto other steam locos, here is an edited copy of the email i recieved with all the important bits on:

Black hat on the 60 thread says about the slipping on steam decoders, the WC/BoB now has that function since Monday last.

See what other locos people want and I will have a look into maybe more, the Bullieds were notorious for it but others less so.

the slipping is intermittent on my decoder, depending on the time between the loco stopping and restarting, it comes with practice but at least it doesnt happen every time the loco starts, so quite prototypical.

it can be played on function 8 too, but it is superimposed on the chuffing so not so authentic. I am sorry I cant make the wheels slip at the same time, I would if I could. but that is one miracle I cant do, nor can I walk on water!!.

of note is that bryan says he would like suggestion as to which steam locos he should add wheelslip to, as he says some were notorius for it other not as bad, so suggestions please?

once i can get hold of a video of the chip in action then i will do, looks like i might have to get clan line chipped up now!!

Hi

Is it anything like this? DCC Concepts has had wheel slip it for the last 15 months.

Black 5 with wheel slip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qf6Bs_su5Q

Wheel slip starts about 10 seconds into the video.

That is one way of doing it, using a function which is what is used on the video.

I have another couple of loco's which gives "true wheel slip" using a hall sensor and neo magnets on the wheels. Its good but you need at least 10 coaches behind the loco and a slight incline for it work really well. It actually looks really good pulling out of the station going in and out of wheelslip.

Cheers

Martin

Hello all,

After having mentioned the wheel slip it was due to having seen some of the DCC concepts engines on film, I was really impressed with the wheel slip sound and wheels turning at the same time, as shown by the Black 5 above. I would love to see this as a function on some Howes sound chips as I think this would stand them a cut above the rest. They already take getting used to driving due to accelleration and breaking differences compared with normal driving and the lack of notching on other engines makes them a joy to drive as it comes naturally rather than forced.

Im slightly unsure of what Bryan has said. If he has managed to put on a wheel slip if you put too much power into the locomotive at the start then it would be accurate and prototypical for the wheel slip to feature. If its not everytime then this is great as it tests the skill of the driver like a normal engine would. I would understand if the main problem was to be getting the wheels and sounds to match and hope Bryans hard work and due dilligence means that Howes yet again have mastered another area to add the extra dimension to our models.

• RMweb Gold

marty mc, that is fantastic!!

you say thats on a function button, if so how do you get the wheels to spin up so quickly then settle back and get it so finely synced with the sound, thats what puzzling me!!

i know the concept of it isn't a new one but the wc/bob is the first howes chip to have it incorporated, any advancement by any company is a bonus either way

black hat: i'll see if bryan can clarify what he means, the way i read it is if the loco is stationary for a certain length of time then it will/may slip when starting, but to add the fun factor the time is variable so you won't know if its going to slip or not until you move, as i say i'll get him to clarify sometime (he is very busy today so may not get back to me)

Hi

Glad you like it. I would like to see what Howes have done.

Each loco is different with wheel slip. The Black 5 has it on F5 and momentum is initially set to 0. I then take it up to 40/128 speed steps wait 1 second approx press f5 and it spins and then quickly back it off to 3-5 speed steps. I have an NCE which makes it easier. The trick is getting it just right and that takes practice.

Now true wheel slip you need a micro hall sensor wired to your loksound. If the loco is pulling a heavy load and running at lets say 10/128 I can quickly put it to 100/128 and she will slip. (momemtium again is 0) The chuff rate virtually goes quiet, as you bring it back to 15/128 she grips again. It does help with the heavier locos to have a tiny tiny drop of oil smeared on the tracks helps.

Watch this space for "full synchronised" smoke and wheel slip. Shame I had built the syncro unit for a 9f but they never suffered from wheel slip. I really wanted to put it into a duel chimney loco for the effect.

Martin

Tests with my O Gauge Duchess (Finney kit with AGH wheels, Crailcrest motor) and 8 hefty Pullmans lets you experience wheel slip just like the real thing, its quite something.

One wonders if you will be able to ever recreate this in 4mm with the lightness of the rolling stock?

Going to investigate psuedo wheel slip in 0 Gauge with my next project over the next couple of weeks and post up the video results of proper and pseudo wheel slip!

Archived