Bachmann class 170

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just picked up a couple of Bachmann 170s from eBay, and have to say they are lovely models. They are the older model with the motor just visible in the centre car but still I’m not complaining. One has never been out of the box and runs like a dream. The other one needs a new motor which turned up before the trains got here. But it has been re-gauged to em or p4 never remember. The wheels are 18.2 with a rule if that helps. 

I was wondering if anyone was planning to convert theirs. And would they be willing to swap for the standard wheel set? One wheel set is visible in the image if that helps. 

secondary How do you covert them to dcc? Obviously a decoder for the centre coach with the motor. But do I need on in each end coach to work the lights? 

IMG_2083.jpeg

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, eatus-maximus said:

In terms of DCC, the easiest way is three decoders, but with cunning you can do it with one.

For one decoder you will need extra wire and either a drill, or some form of conductive coupling.

I thought it would be that case.  Thanks 

I’ve just done one of mine with the illuminated models lighting kit, which includes a decoder socket to make any future decoder swaps plug and play.

Recommend looking into it as the original light bulbs are not great on DCC. They get very hot.

• RMweb Gold

Well I’ve had the second one all out the em? Conversion was never fully finished. The drive car still has its original wheels and drive towers gear etc some that’s a little less work. The motor needs its mounting bracket  and I’m missing a cardigan drive? (The stick thing)

the motor that came with the model works and it has a massive brass weight plus 8 sets of em (18.2  mm gauge) wheels are not required. imagine below if anyone is interested in them 

IMG_2084.jpeg

IMG_2085.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 16/08/2023 at 19:13, farren said:

Well I’ve had the second one all out the em? Conversion was never fully finished. The drive car still has its original wheels and drive towers gear etc some that’s a little less work. The motor needs its mounting bracket  and I’m missing a cardigan drive? (The stick thing)

the motor that came with the model works and it has a massive brass weight plus 8 sets of em (18.2  mm gauge) wheels are not required. imagine below if anyone is interested in them 

IMG_2084.jpeg

IMG_2085.jpeg

That black part looks like a Dyna-Drive clutch, that's why it has such a large flywheel?!

Rob

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, glasmonkey said:

That black part looks like a Dyna-Drive clutch, that's why it has such a large flywheel?!

Rob

Learn something new,  Well after reading your message it does seem to have a little movement in it even when holding the motor shaft still. But I have no need for it so it’s in the box with other parts not needed.

As for the 170s one is in bits the outer cars have oo wheels fitted the centre car has a new motor and motor mount fitted along with the drive shaft also fitted. But the gears on the driving coach wheels are trash, teeth are bent and causing the whole thing to lock up both sets. Typically Bachmann have no spares, but do have the who bogies with drive tower. Which might be best has the ones I have might also be damaged has something damaged the gears on the wheels. 

the other 170 is done all dcc fitted one in each car and the lights are also converted to LEDs I went for the Illuminated models kit, the dcc socket helped, that and Express models being sold out when I ordered them.  Will get a second set soon. I have to say it’s a lovely little model running around the layout very pleased with it. Hope to have the second done soon. 

IMG_2181.jpeg

IMG_2180.jpeg