Renumbering a Union Mills loco

Hi all, can anybody advise me on the best way to renumber a Union Mills loco? Should I use thinners, T-Cut, or something else? The model is quite old and the numbers are fading. I’d be gutted to get it wrong and spoil the paintwork as this is obviously now an irreplaceable model.

• RMweb Premium

I can’t be of much help but I am in the process of changing the livery and re numbering a Union Mills T9. It originally came in plain black and I have resprayed it olive green. 

If your loco has a plain livery with no lining then if the number change doesn’t work you could repaint it and use transfers in the usual way. 

If no one else here can help then head to Facebook where there is a Union Mills group. Some of the members have added detail to and upgraded their locos so there might be someone who can advise. 

• RMweb Gold
On 20/08/2023 at 13:25, josh_will said:

Hi all, can anybody advise me on the best way to renumber a Union Mills loco? Should I use thinners, T-Cut, or something else? The model is quite old and the numbers are fading. I’d be gutted to get it wrong and spoil the paintwork as this is obviously now an irreplaceable model.

Never tried with 2mm scale but this is the procedure I use when renumbering Hornby and Bachmann locomotives.    

Remove existing numerals

Apply masking tape very closely around cabside numerals to be removed. 

·       Dip Tamiya Round Extra Small cotton swab in the enamel thinners and dab on cabside numerals, allow to soak for    at least 5 minutes.

·       Reapply thinners and very lightly rub at numerals. Continue until numerals have been removed. 

·       Wipe off any surplus thinners and remove masking tape.

Apply Transfers

·       If using individual numerals, the first numeral transfer to apply should be the centre one.

·       Cut out the transfer and place in shallow dish of hot water (Fox recommendation) and allow to soak for a minute or so.

·       Remove transfer from dish with tweezers and place in approximate position on model. 

·       With a small firm paintbrush, move the transfer into position.

·       If transfer becomes “sticky”, dip brush tip lightly into water and then dab on spare backing sheet to pick up a little residual adhesive.

Dab transfer with this moist brush; this will allow transfer to be moved.

·       When positioned, very lightly dab to secure transfer and remove any remaining water.

·       Repeat with remaining numerals, working outward from the centre.

·       Allow all transfers to set overnight.

Varnishing transfers:

·       Mask around entire cabside and very lightly spray once with “Railmatch” acrylic Satin Varnish, thinned with “Railmatch” waterborne acrylic thinners. Same with smokebox door.

·       Allow to dry completely and check result.

Edited by Right Away
correction

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, jpendle said:

Yes they have.

The owner retired and decided not to sell the business.

Regards,

John P

Thanks, I saw that on Mark Ellis’s excellent Union Mills website. I have. J39 which I’ll be looking to sell on.

Dava