need help with Dapol 20T coal wagon decals.

Hi all,

I have found a couple of unpainted Dapol 20t 9 plank wooden coal/mineral wagons in one of my boxes. I bought them over 30 years ago as unpainted wagons and they have sat in a box since then waiting. The bodies are still listed on the Dapol web site. But it says they are all out of stock. Anyway what I want to know is did LMS use these wagons and if so has any one got any pictures of them. I have seen them in LNER livery. They sell the chassis separately.

This is the body I mean.

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/products/b007-oo-gauge-unpainted-9-plank-wagon-body?variant=43341297320159

dapol.webp

Edited by cypherman

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

I have found a couple of unpainted Dapol 20t 9 plank wooden coal/mineral wagons in one of my boxes. I bought them over 30 years ago as unpainted wagons and they have sat in a box since then waiting. The bodies are still listed on the Dapol web site. But it says they are all out of stock. Anyway what I want to know is did LMS use these wagons and if so has any one got any pictures of them. I have seen them in LNER livery. They sell the chassis separately.

This is the body I mean.

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/products/b007-oo-gauge-unpainted-9-plank-wagon-body?variant=43341297320159

dapol.webp

This is the old Airfix 20T mineral wagon, flogged over the years in a myriad of liveries.

I seem to recall that it is not accurate for any specific prototype, but is close to an LNER 20T nine plank loco coal wagon.

..... unless someone knows differently!

CJI.

• Thanks 1

According to Tatlow LNER wagons vol 4A this 9 plank body was a RCH design, so may have operated 'anywhere', assuming it was taken up by users. The LNER took this design as the basis of the first loco coal wagon for the group, built in 8 plank form in order to fit under some coal screens at collieries  used by the LNER for loco coal. (The top plank can be readily trimmed off to make a reasonable approximation of the LNER loco coal wagon.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

This is definitely a real prototype built for various private owners, probably in relatively small numbers.

Firstly to close off the OP's question, the LMS didn't operate any of this type and, as stated above, the LNER version was similar but lower (8 planks high).

Taken from the usual sources, the following are options for using the tooling - not all are identical with some variations in plank widths (the Gloucester ones seem to have a very narrow 8th plank for example), more significant variations are noted below:

- Baldwin 5 x wagons built by Gloucester (Turton vol 1)

- Bedwas Coke 200 x wagons built by Gloucester, convertible coke type (Turton vol 2)

- Dinnington possibly 1 x wagon built by Charles Roberts, convertible coke type (Turton vol 5)

- Denaby unknown number built by Charles Roberts, later converted to fixed coke type (Turton vol 7)

- Dovercroft Bay Co-op 3 x wagons built by Metropolitan, no end door (Turton vol 8)

- Rinovia 50 x wagons built by Charles Roberts, single central side door (Turton vol 10)

- ACES 100 x wagons built by Charles Roberts, single central side door (Turton vol 14)

- Gas Light & Coke Co 24 x wagons built by Charles Roberts (Hudson vol 3)

Charringtons also had wagons of this type - there is a picture in a MRJ but I don't have the volume number to hand. This as a livery Mainline did originally.

As for transfers - I'm not sure I recall seeing anything specific for these wagons, but I would start by checking out POW Sides, Modelmaster (buy from a stockist and not direct!) and Old Time Workshop. For BR era these would have had P-prefixed numbers on black patches, applied on the remains of the PO livery, and are likely to have been uprated to 21t during the war.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3