Jouef BR Mk3 Couplings

Hello all!

I've acquired a number of Jouef BR Mk3 Carriages. Quite a bargain as they are missing most of the couplings!

Having had a good look around I cannot find any original equipment replacements. I was hoping someone somewhere else has been on this journey and can advise me please?

The "pizza cutter" wheels are quite unattractive so I may look to replacing those or indeed if anyone has found a bogie that fits, works and looks right that could be another option.

Thanks in advance! John

I don't know anything about the models in question, but my general recommendation for coupling rakes would be to fit Hunt couplings.  These use strong magnets and will fit in most configurations of NEM pocket.

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/hunts-magnetic-couplings-offer-easy-replacement

Apart from the article, I have witnessed Hunt coupling performance in coach rakes on the club layout.  My reaction was "game changing".

John

• Thanks 1

Jouef couplings to fit Mk3 coaches are available on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165025312009?hash=item266c466d09:g:-OYAAOSw9U5hHWVd&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwOyJuHfn4itcI4NC5ZuG%2BlALVm%2BIBE4HQE3Eh1GRKK07X4eMB5KPZDVqYzCc2hknDga7sdx%2BbVJpR1mDawSKOuZgm52a1yadFqUyI0AMPukoRQxxjNIJ4eqk6OAnL1X%2B5F0jL%2BeENqMsAxuZSi0zQUW8VSDTknaWWDejflzyC2UPh6lVSjDdqVctHaXX5OFTbo%2FsKL5t5xt8mJMitOI3WiRk9FzUz5UnR1OkMrQQFoncUbUHvFD5sqcY5SvUrTI23A%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR8rKnoPHYg

As you will see, these have Hornby Dublo coupling hooks on the ends.  Cut these off, and cement Hunt magnetic couplings onto the residual spigot to replace them.  In the Hunt range, choose the ones which do not have the NEM swallow tail.  Think through coach spacing carefully.

Edited by teeinox
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I have a huge stock of disc-braked 12mm wheels to RP25 spec that I had made to special order for my VGA wagon kits. They are excellent replacements for the Jouef cheesecutter wheels. Hunt coupling, not tried them yet but have some on order. Along with Kean close-coupling units, I think I will have the right answer.