Use of Powder V tankers in 1992 and 2008

Tallpaul69

I run a modern image version of my GW&GC layout in c1992 and c2008. I have a lot of Lima, Hornby, and Dapol depressed centre ("V") tankers and I am wondering what south of England flows they were used on in the above periods? 

If there are some possible uses then I will think of weathering them, otherwise i will sell on!

Many thanks

Paul

15 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Several different batches on PB's site. Roamed far and wide looking at where they were photted, Bletchley for the 'Ketton' version which isn't that far from the GW&GC....

Yes, I have seen the photos on PBs site, although mainly earlier than 1992!

It is beginning to look like they had all gone by 2008 although I thought i remembered them on cement workings after 2002 into St. Pancras, but might be confusing with the straight topped variety!

4 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Yes, I have seen the photos on PBs site, although mainly earlier than 1992!

It is beginning to look like they had all gone by 2008 although I thought i remembered them on cement workings after 2002 into St. Pancras, but might be confusing with the straight topped variety!

Don't take much notice of my site for what was running after Privatisation. I did far less photography, a combination of increased security and a work life out of balance - although I did travel a lot by train as Eurostar improved. 

Certainly still being in use and well maintained in 2008 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/pc009e/e59317c2e 

Paul

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen Freightliner 66's and 70's running with the depressed Centre PCA and the Metalair PCA on the Theale to Hope Cement workings as late as 2015. As for the PDA Bogie Cement I defintely saw them at Reading as Late as 1990.

• Thanks 1

I recall seeing Blue Circle vee tanks in a mixed rake with the Metalair versions on an empty Widnes to Earle's Sidings working in Summer 1992, but thereafter, the vee tanks became scarce and I think all were stored due to the recession and downturn in the construction industry. Traffic to Northenden and Widnes went over to using the Metalair tanks only from then onwards.

Many of the 9nnn series APCM/Blue Circle Cement owned tanks were scrapped and most of the 107nn, 108nn and 109nn series tanks, apart from the hand brake lever fitted 109nn series were kept in store.

Around 2002, LaFarge started to bring vee tanks back into traffic from Hope and they initially tended to stay in fixed rakes i.e. all vee or all Metalair but eventually they were all pooled together. Any remaining stored Vee tanks, like those that ended up at Eastgate works, were I think eventually scrapped on site. I made a special visit there one summer Saturday just to get the numbers and photograph as many as I could before the bus was due back.

All based on my own observations and recordings at the time.

HTH Paul

• Like 1