Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Nottingham (London Road) - OO layout

D9502

Hello,

Does anyone know if the layout Nottingham (London Road) in OO gauge appeared in the modelling press?

There's a youtube video here recorded by AndyP of this parish and another here by I believe, its creator Simon Lawson. I have very vague recollections of it featured on a previous incarnation of RMweb some time ago. I've searched WoR, KeyPublishing, Pocketmags, the magazine back issue page etc. but couldn't find anything. I'd use Waybackmachine but without a url I've nothing to go on; so any other info and photos would be appreciated.

I rather like the track plan/arrangement and am wondering how wide the layout was/is?

My current ideas are to remove the two through roads and see if it would fit in on a 600mm (~16") wide board...

Rgds

Rich.

21 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

It's all down to levels of pedantry,

No pedantry here - the difference between 16" and 24" in the width of a baseboard is simply huge. It alters what you are able to model substantially. The OP hasn't responded yet as to which width he really meant.

Yours, Mike.

• Agree 1

Afternoon Gents,

@nigb55009 many thanks for the info - much appreciated. 👍

apologies for the confusion in mixing up imperial and metric equivalents, i really should know better! The boards I have are 1200mm x 400mm which equates to (approx) 4' x 15.75"

@Joseph_Pestell yes, its a cracking design IMHO and shows that part of a mainline station can be built in a relatively small footprint, the operational interest comes in stopping services, through frieght, crew changes and units terminating in a bay platform.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The design "trick" with this layout is that longer trains can only run from the station end as half rakes. So freight becomes difficult as the whole train has to run through

That means the hidden sidings/traverser at each end become too long relative to the visual part of the layout. The layout builder has concentrated on DMUs at the east end of the layout plus track repair trains. Those have a plus in that they can be top-and-tailed so the locos do not need to be handled.

400mm width is going to be problematic even with the through roads left off. It's going to leave very little space for the platforms. 

• Agree 2