Sonic j50 and ESu decoder problem ?

InTheTrainShed

• RMweb Gold

I have a Sonic J50 that ran perfectly out of the box on DC but I needed it DCC and wanted a decoder with Railcom so I decided based on the leaflet to go with the Esu. It recommends the ESu  59837. mu supplier didn’t have that but did have the 59857 which as best I could work out from the Esu website was the same chip but with ONLY the dcc protocol and none of the other control systems - fine as I only need DCC.

BUT this decoder when fitted so it works needs to be the ‘wrong’ way around , that is not going to allow the body on.

NB - The leaflet with the loco does not describe which is pin1 - I assume they assume the chip only fits one way so its ‘obvious’ 

any ideas ?

IMG_8872.jpeg

IMG_8890.jpeg

IMG_8888.jpeg

Six pin does not rotate,  pin 1 is defined and the decoder must go pin-1 to pin-1 

It is possible, with care, to bend the pins from a straight 6-pin to an angled.   However, I'd be reluctant to attempt a 180 degree bend. 

Chances are a Zimo MX615 would fit vertically without being seen.  

- Nigel

Edited by Nigelcliffe

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Six pin does not rotate,  pin 1 is defined and the decoder must go pin-1 to pin-1 

It is possible, with care, to bend the pins from a straight 6-pin to an angled.   However, I'd be reluctant to attempt a 180 degree bend. 

Chances are a Zimo MX615 would fit vertically without being seen.  

- Nigel

Thanks Nigel - I took a look at the size of that Zimo , I think you are right , that might go in there nicely 

This is an odd situation.  The Sonic instructions clearly show the decoder fitted in the direction of the chimney, as one would expect.  As all NEM651 decoders must be fitted a certain way round, as Nigel Cliffe points out, no decoder on the market will fit.  The only conclusion to be drawn is that Sonic have wired the socket incorrectly, so it would seem desirable to contact the firm to obtain their view.  They need to do something about it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In the original post there is reference to the recommended ESU decoder that could not be obtained and another used instead. Could it be that they are ‘bent’ opposite ways to fit particular locos?

Course you could just rip all the gubbins out and hard wire one in so it sits below cab door level, perhaps fitting a stay-alive pack in there as well. 

Bob

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

In the original post there is reference to the recommended ESU decoder that could not be obtained and another used instead. Could it be that they are ‘bent’ opposite ways to fit particular locos?

The two ESU decoders are ESU's usual pairing of "all digital protocols (DCC, MFX, Selectrix, etc.)" intended for Europe and "DCC only" intended for America. ( As well as the protocols supported, there are differences in how speed curves and acceleration parameters work).    Photos/diagrams on ESU's website show nothing definitive indicating "pin 1".     I'd expect the same bending of pins in both.    

I've not found anything in NMRA, MOROP or RailCommunity documents which define which way an angled 6-pin decoder should be arranged.   I suspect its a free-for-all, outside the standards.  

The other decoder suggested, a Bachmann item, was withdrawn by Bachmann ages ago, when they swapped their source of re-badged decoders from Soundtraxx to Zimo.    If anyone can find one in a dusty corner of a shop, its a pretty indifferent performer, and doesn't do things like RailCom, which the original poster required.  

- Nigel