LNWR Precedent (Jumbo) old Modeller's World kit, problems

bluestag

Hey guys,

A report from Burbank: I am in negotiation with a Brit who has a Modeller's World LNWR Jumbo 2-4-0 kit to sell.   I need one for my collection.   I'm not sure he has the instructions.   Anyone have a set to scan?

And he has no wheels.    Slaters, oddly, does not list this wheel: 6' 9" pin on spoke, 12" throw, 20 spoke.   They have a Great Central wheel at 6' 9", 20 spokes, but the pin between the spokes and at 13" throw.   I suppose if I must compromise, I must.   Pity the Mercian web site is gone, or I'd see what they used on their display model.   And I'd ask them for a set of instructions.

Is there another maker of wheels who might have it?

Kevin

Edited by bluestag
More info

• 3 weeks later...

And now it looks like Slaters has nearly the right wheel.   Their wheel for the GC Director's class is in fact a pin on spoke, not between spokes.   Meaning that it is only really wrong in the throw is 13 inch rather than 12.

Anybody got those instructions?

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...

Finally I have taken possession of the LNWR Precedent (Jumbo).    The kit looks pretty complete.  Enough that I ordered the wheels today.

I STILL need instructions.    If you have a set for the Modeller's World or Mercian kit that you could zap across the ether to me, I'd be oh so appreciative.  

Kevin

Got a set of instructions from a chap on Gauge O Guild site. Thanks to everybody. Did not know better: the kit was intended to be built with undersized wheels (6' 6" rather than the 6' 9" wheels I bought. I will admit that the clearances of the foot plate vs flanges is almost non existent. Don't know if the splashers will fit the scale wheels or not. Just got to forge ahead. I'm surprised to say that I learned little from the instructions, meaning that it is an indifferent kit. But I need a Precedent! It seems that it is a feature, not a bug, of the kits for the Cauliflower and the Precedent that the frames be WAY wide. I fitted the top hat bearings from the outside. The instructions have them going in from the inside. How I'm supposed to fit plunger pickups is a mystery. But never mind. There are not provisions in the kit for plungers. I built it with 26.35mm spacers, and it all seems well. As long as there are springs on the front axle, it seems to hold the road. Still waiting for coupling rods from Premier. So it runs as a single wheeler for now. And I'm going to put in a smaller motor to allow more lead in the firebox. Hopefully the loco will weigh more than 1.5 lbs, without burning out the new 1525. News as it comes in.

• Like 2

Sometimes older kits are little more than an aid to the scratchbuilder.

You might want to get yourself a copy of Locomotive Modelling  by the late Geoff Holt:

https://britishrailwaybooks.co.uk/books/ISBN/1908763019.php

https://britishrailwaybooks.co.uk/books/ISBN/1908763051.php

You might need to shop around.

John

4 hours ago, brossard said:

Sometimes older kits are little more than an aid to the scratchbuilder.

Yes.    I have a sinking feeling about the boiler, which has the bands etched proud.   They look a bit narrow to me compared to Fox transfers.   Tomorrow I'll cut a bit of transfer out and apply it to the etching.    I would not be surprised to see that making a new boiler is advisable.  The only holes in the boiler are for the chimney etc.   None of the smaller fittings are provided for.  Oh well, it is no Finney kit.

Making headway.   The tender is on loan from my A Class.    May not be able to do much over the next week as I need my chum's rolling bars for the boiler.   Not seeing him until the Sunday after next.  This sure is a simplistic kit, but it is the only one for a Precedent, so I just have to do what I can.

Cab.JPG

• Like 5

Now the blasted thing is derailing regularly on the inside curve of a Peco turnout, coming in from the toe end.    The leading wheel gets half way along the check rail, and climbs up over it.   There is no play on the drivers at all.   The front end skews hard over, too far because there will be a set of spats hiding the sandboxes, which the wheels will foul.    I have the front axle having movement upward, such that it does not lift the drivers off the track.   Possibly too much, reducing the amount of down force from the Slaters springs.    I MAY have to strip down the chassis and install narrower frame spaces, and allow the rear axle some side movement.    Drat!

• Friendly/supportive 1

STILL waiting for the motor and coupling rods.   The motor people had covid, so I am ok with that.   I cannot explain the coupling rods, which supposedly were posted more than two weeks ago.   Anyway, rolled the boiler, trimmed the cab to accept it, applied the smokebox front and the riveted wrapper.

The formers for the boiler, the discs provided, were grossly undersized.   I fired up the lathe and produced a front former with a hole that just fits the spigot on the smokebox door, another that has a very large hole in it, making it little more than a ring, set in the boiler about at the second boiler band.   And a third with a bolt in the middle, pushing thru a hole drilled in the spectacle plate, secured by a nut.    I am going to hold off securing the boiler until the last possible minute.   Get everything else worked out that can be done.

The chimney and dome are just set in place.   They won't go on until the boiler is soldered irrevocably in place.

IMG_0334.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Coupling rods got here.   I've installed them and trimmed the coupling pins.   There is a problem with a transitory short.   The tender goes live to one rail while the loco to the other rail.   And only briefly, the loco stops, the short clears, and the loco starts again.   Gotta figure this one out.   Waiting for a new, smaller motor, and assuming it can haul my train without burning out, I'll take it to my chum John's to have it programmed.   Pity RM does not allow videos....

• Like 1