Fleischmann Baureihe 65

As a young teenager I was fascinated by German steam locos, helped by the acquisition (I can’t remember how) of a Märklin catalogue. I desperately wanted one of those huge engines with their multitude of red wheels. It never happened and life moved on…

Fast forward to last night and a meeting of the East Riding Finescale Group.

Rippers had been asked to sell off a very large collection of mainly German but also Austrian and Swiss, steam and electric locos.

After helping in sorting and testing some of them, my old longing returned! Resisting the enormous 2-10-0 tender as too big I fell eventually for this beauty.

Now I’ve got to find a use for it! At least it can partner my V36…

Are any preserved?

steve

92FADF2F-1884-4D14-8002-B0327EBF6B83.jpeg

C363586D-81B5-4925-87FC-EBB048FD5B54.jpeg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, rekoboy said:

65 018 has survived and is preserved in working order in the Netherlands in the collection of Stoom Stichting Nederland......

https://www.stoomstichting.nl/

I think that SSN have actually given it a 10 year loan to VSM, as they don't currently need 3 operational steam loco's and their 01 and 23 are more useful on the mainline. It was in action last weekend at the 'back to then' gala at Beekbergen, but apparently I only took this and another equally awful photo of it.

2309020095.JPG

Edited by jonhall
  • Like 6

15 hours ago, steve1 said:

I fell eventually for this beauty.

Now I’ve got to find a use for it! At least it can partner my V36…

Are any preserved?

steve

Hi Steve,

As with many models  it is numbered 65 018 precisely because it is the member of the class that is preserved (the obvious reason being that you can run it on a 'now' layout as a special) - and it was preserved because it was the last of the class to be withdrawn (another quite common facet of railways)

In terms of 'realism' the downside to the DB 65s is their limited number and limited operating area. Like some classes of BR standard steam locos, they came too late (dieselisation and electrification was already under way

Edited by Gordonwis
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1