Spa Valley Railway Model Railway Weekend Saturday 23rd & Sunday 24th September 2023

Ian Morgan

To whet your appetite a bit more, we also have Thornbury Hill attending this year: 

Along with Paystow making a welcome return too: 

I'll also be there with Pitley Steam Railway, my preservation layout based (loosely) on my experiences of volunteering at Spa Valley Railway: 

And that's just the very tip of the iceberg. After two very successful events in 2021 and 2022, this year is set to be even bigger with the main part of the exhibition using the full length of the shed at Tunbridge Wells West for the first time. A full list of layouts and traders set to attend is available on the website: https://www.spavalleyrailway.co.uk/product.php/279/model-railway-weekend/f080fedd0372bca4404ae728b88036b4

And finally, for anyone wanting to plan out their day, here is the timetable for the weekend: 

MRWPTT.png.edba5fa695ced24de0d82c42dc31fa29.png

22 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

Nice and busy day in the engine shed Saturday, followed by a pleasant ride on the 'Fish and Chips Special' in the evening.

IMG_20230923_141017.jpg.f78fcdc894e264ff8d596ad32fdde839.jpg

IMG_20230923_134826.jpg.8ea84545275dc490f4d17d0912a6d59a.jpg

We were exhibiting at Eridge and I did not get a chance to go down to Tunbridge Wells. I hear the shed there was pretty crammed with visitors, especially on the Saturday. They obviously did not all come down to us on the train,  but we got a fairly good attendance.

All the best

Ray

I and my brother visited on the Saturday. It was definitively claustrophobic in the engine shed at Tunbridge Wells West and the trains were pretty full. Nevertheless we had a good time, rode on both the trains running and had two round trips on the railway. Looking at the car parking arrangements in the area, the Spa Valley Railway is definitively one to visit by train. In my case, I went to Tunbridge Wells and walked across town, and it is not as far as you think, to Tunbridge Wells West. The only thing that we were disappointed about was 828 not running again, which is beyond their control.

DSC_0194.JPG

DSC_0193.JPG

DSC_0186.JPG

• RMweb Premium

This year, I did take some time out to visit the layouts at the other stations. I took the first train out from Tunbridge Wells West on the Saturday morning and got off at Groombridge. Then caught the 'thumper' down to Eridge, saw your layout, and then back to TWW. Trains not to busy at that time, and startled a fox and several deer along the way.

The engine shed is not the best of places for an exhibition, having uneven flooring, leaky roof and lots of 'pinch points' between the layouts, but the atmosphere is nice, sharing the shed with real locomotives, and inhaling coal smoke and diesel fumes each time a train arrived.

Several very nice layouts this year.

A big thank you to everyone who attended this year, even if it was quite crowded at times - especially on the Saturday. As some of you may have already deduced, that was mostly due to 828 being stuck in the shed which significantly reduced the amount of space available for the exhibition. I know there are several unsung heroes at the railway who did a brilliant job reorganising everything at the last minute to fit everyone in, even if it was a squeeze.

I don’t know how much I’m allowed to say publicly yet but it’s been a very successful event for the railway. Each year the show has continued to grow in popularity and it’s already slated to return next year. With that in mind if anyone has any feedback/constructive criticism/etc (whether you’re a layout owner, trader, or attendee) feel free to send me a PM with your thoughts and I’ll happily pass it on to those in charge.

See you next year!

IMG_6399.JPG.2354f55a306adea17af7c163b98c91f0.JPG

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Despite the narrow passages, uneven floor and leaky roof, this is the second time we have attended with different club layouts and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Happy to come again with another club layout, if invited.

• Like 2

We also enjoyed ourselves.

I believe that we have an invite for another larger layout for next year, which will need to go in the shed at Tonbridge Wells West.

Might even see 828 working, if it is still there.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Like 1

A little video overview of the show for those that missed it or want to relive it: 

It's not as comprehensive as my efforts from previous years as I was busy operating my own layout this time. As a result I only had a chance to run round and grab some footage very late on the Sunday afternoon as things were winding down - my apologies that not all the layouts are featured in the video.

• Like 1