RMweb

Multiple unit main beam lights - directional wiring

Weardale Wanderer

I'm building a 3 x car 507 unit which has a chip in each carriage. At each end I have a Dapol Imperium Next18 which work fine. The centre one has a ESU sound chip.

The only snag is that I've got a 'Main beam' headlight at each end which is independent of the normal directional headlights. At present, whenever I turn the main beam on it's lit at both ends, so clearly needs to be directional.

I don't think the Imperium decoders have the facility for changing a CV to make a function directional.

Can anyone advise me on what I can do here?

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

I think it is CVs 49 to 54. Each one refers to an output. These are the same ones that DCC Concepts decoders use. Looking at the defaults, 

0 = lights on in forward direction 

16 = lights on in reverse direction

32 = lights on in both directions

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, RHF9019 said:

I think it is CVs 49 to 54. Each one refers to an output. These are the same ones that DCC Concepts decoders use. Looking at the defaults, 

0 = lights on in forward direction 

16 = lights on in reverse direction

32 = lights on in both directions

This is precisely what Decoder Pro has as the CV's to control the lights on a LaisDCC 6 function decoder (i.e. the Imperium 2)

Thanks for that folks. The directional 'main beam' is now working very nicely.

My next task is to work out how to set the carriage lights to start authentically. I seem to recall the 507's were fluorescent strips lights?

The ESU decoder is defaulted to a gradual brightening of the lights which looks okay, whereas the Imperium decoder controlled ones just switch 'on' or 'off'. It looks a bit weird having two different lighting effects. 

Allegedly there are lighting effects setting for these imperium decoders, but once again I can't find them anywhere. The CV list says they're on the Dapol site, but when I go there I can't find anything! Good grief, why don't they include these in the boxes with the decoders?!

Any thoughts gratefully received.