Mickleover Community Centre

Uttoxeter Road

Mickleover

Derby

DE3 0DA

Saturday 7th October 10.00am - 5.00pm

Sunday 8th October 10.00am - 4.00pm

Admission Adults £5 Children Free

The exhibition will follow our tried and tested format which includes the clubroom being open displaying 3 permanently set up layouts and then around 12 more in the Community Centre and clubroom, along with 3 traders and the always popular club second hand table(s).

For the past 50 years or so we have always used this exhibition to showcase the work of our own members, either on club layouts or their own. This year we should have two 7mm O gauge, five 4mm OO gauge, two 3.5mm HO gauge, three 4mm OO9 narrow gauge and three N gauge.

Trade will be Andy Brewin from A2B Models of Matlock Bath, John Sammans second hand sales and Chris Canner with the Railway Bookshop. David Wright will be demonstrating building buildings which will include the famous "Crooked House" pub - this model was featured recently on BBC TV.

Light refreshments will be available from The Old School Tearooms (part of the Community Centre).

Parking at the Centre is rather limited although there is a supermarket car park nearby - but ensure that you check the signs for restrictions and make a note of the time you arrived. Don't blame us if you get caught 😠

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Many thanks Richard - very much appreciated.

Our attendance for the first day was 298 adults and a lot of children (not counted as they were all admitted without charge). This was almost double last year although that was rather low due to exception circumstances. Hoping for another good day today . . . . . .

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another 220 adults through the door yesterday so with the children we can say that we had at least 600 visitors over the weekend which isn't bad for a "Village Hall" type of show with16 layouts and only one of those wasn't from our own club. The attendance was the best we have had since lockdown and shows that if you get the advertising right, you will attract both enthusiasts and a lot of newcomers who when asked said that it was their first visit. There were also several enquiries about club membership - with 72 on the books already, if we enrol many more it will be standing room only !!

Many thanks to the exhibitors and traders, plus of course all the work that goes on behind the scenes, the staff in the tea rooms (they also had record sales) and of course a big thank you to our visitors. To see what you missed look at Richard's video above.

Mike - on behalf of Mickleover (Derby) Model Railway Group.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RedgateModels said:

Good results Mike, especially as your attendance was probably diluted by another show in our area on the same weekend 🙂

Agreed - I see that Richard went to the other show in the morning with his video camera and came to us in the afternoon . . . . . 

23 hours ago, skipepsi said:

Do we have a date for next year? 

Usually the first full weekend in October so it looks like the 6th and 7th next year.

EDIT to say I misread my calendar. It's actually the 5th and 6th October next year (2024). See below.

Edited by Poor Old Bruce
Got it wrong the first time!!!
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, skipepsi said:

Thank you I was really annoyed I missed it, Is the Derby Freemo group attached to the club.

One of that group is also a member of our club - and was also part of the organising team for the show. Obviously I can't give out information here but if you PM me with your contact details, I will pass that on to him so that he can contact you.

Are you also aware that the NMRA will be in Derby 20-22nd October at the London Road Conference Centre. Freemo HO is mentioned on the layout page in the link below but I don't know if it will be the same group that came to our show.

https://www.black-diamonds.org.uk/convention/

Thanks (from another Mike B !!)

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

Usually the first full weekend in October so it looks like the 6th and 7th next year.

Almost right Richard - but you forgot about the extra day in February - so my diary says the 5th & 6th October - I hope that's correct as we have had 5000 flyers printed and gave out 500 of them at the weekend 😃😃

• RMweb Premium

One of our members has posted a video he took on Sunday. Viewing this on YouTube will also link to many other videos taken of our club layouts and his own personal models and layouts

https://youtu.be/7CmmVnxj_yw

Also viewing that again has provided a link to another video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tX1_b2lAW0

1 hour ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Almost right Richard - but you forgot about the extra day in February - so my diary says the 5th & 6th October - I hope that's correct as we have had 5000 flyers printed and gave out 500 of them at the weekend 😃😃

Sorry Mike, you're right. 5th and 6th Oct 2024 (just testing you 😐).

• Funny 1