Richierich’s D&E (BR Sector Period) WIP Workbench - 2mm, 4mm & maybe 7mm…

richierich

• RMweb Premium

Well, this is first entry into the world of a thread after discovering most don’t like blogs on here. 

Personally prefer the blog format because it’s structure content. Although to be fair with limited and infrequent time to tinker with models may well suit a thread. 

My period of interest is BR sector period from roughly 1985 to 1997 and the end of BR. Although second generation DMUs I do have an interest to the present day.

Because of the way modelling has changed (and the costs!), I focus on Eastern region particularly Yorkshire / Humberside area for rolling stock, mainly in 2mm and 4mm, but have an occasional dabble with 7mm, and probably more so when the Heljan Class 153 Sprinter arrives.…

So if your really interested have at look a the blog, otherwise I guess my next post will be on this thread and maybe the blog too. 

Edited by richierich
  • Like 1

Hi Rich,

For me the threads win out because I usually browse on mobile and the blogs tend to be hidden at the bottom so I forget about them, whereas the threads are in the main body of the page.

Some interesting posts on the blog, (and I've replied to the Sprinter gangways one) I look forward to seeing what this thread offers!

Jo

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hornby Class 31 BR Blue Project - Saturday 9th December 2023 

Well, the first bit of modelling for a few months, after a weird period of selling my house, trying to buy a house and now renting, while still looking for a house, all while juggling the demands of work.

Anyway a bit of tinkering today with a Hornby super detailed Class 31 body, from a R2413 31270 in BR Blue, which was acquired in damaged condition some time ago, after I guess it’s chassis block has started to break up due to Mazak Pest.  One thing that has bugged me about all these Hornby Class 31s is why does the fan grille sit at 45 deg out creating a diamond effect?

IMG_0762.jpeg.c76e63150ea9feadad95a1c934e0e06f.jpeg

So decided to have ago at correcting this, so popped the roof fan grill out with a bit of gentle thumb pressure. 

IMG_0764.jpeg.c7563c937f084b0a655751a89d4bc4af.jpeg

The grill is etched brass with a plastic surround which has some tangs to locate it in the roof fan grill recess

IMG_0765.jpeg.857b2afb9332b581796e5d27ea81a6f7.jpeg

So trimmed these off roof fan grille and did a trial fit

IMG_0763.jpeg.7c31dc37f79336735468f6fd23d80c99.jpeg

Ok it’s not as fine a Shawplan extreme etching fan, but it does look better. 

The next trick was roll the etch so it bends to follow the roof profile. Easiest way to do this would be with an Exacto knife because it’s effectively a metal bar and roll this on a mouse mat. However I found using a tea towel on the kitchen worktop allowed this to be achieved.

I then used the some superglue (Loctite gel) applied with a cocktail stick, and secured the roof fan etch in place with some sticky tape

IMG_0767.jpeg.c0e6f6d755001a5884c6e20f33679c6b.jpeg 

once the superglue had dried, took the tape off and I think it’s look reasonable now the mesh is in the correct orientation

IMG_0776.jpeg.ff215497a7711ca07d0c0d2d9c89bf08.jpeg

Still lots to do. The more observant will note the steam boiler exhaust has been carefully scraped away, because this will represent a loco post HGO. 

The next step will involve these bits I’ve just acquired off ebay…

IMG_0784.jpeg.b421a4de0c05f67bf611f02e10475121.jpeg

To be continued…

Edited by richierich
  • Like 5

• richierich changed the title to Richierich’s D&E (BR Sector Period) WIP Workbench - 2mm, 4mm & maybe 7mm…
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Friday 29th December 2023 - Repairing a Farish Class 31 with a duff diode

Having spent the last couple of weeks with a cold / cough which just would not go away, and hence no patience for any sort of modelling, today finally feeling in the mood. 

So a small job repairing a Farish Class 31. This is a release from 2014, so the latest tooling body although not the NEX18 socket and upgraded chassis with inbuilt speaker from 2020. Models from this 2014 batch seem to suffer from failing diodes, which control the lighting etc. I’ve replaced a diode on this loco before (D3), and guess what another one has blown this time D2. 

IMG_8041.jpeg.50017309f469ac4991d6ba78ed39b4ee.jpeg

The replacement diodes are Fairchild MBR520L, which is surface mount component. I got these  off eBay sometime ago. 

IMG_8039.jpeg.dc4a5f8bd6ff0840aeabe727933b2a18.jpeg

New D2 diode in place

IMG_8043.jpeg.d41ebdaf6c054ceb372dc4bd76e03e76.jpeg

Chassis back together 

IMG_8046.jpeg.64d7734e97d0048a54eaae5f0bc87a7f.jpeg

All working until I guess diodes D1 and / or D4 blow… 

Edited by richierich

• RMweb Premium

Saturday 30th December 2023 - 4MM DCC “fun”

Started the day fiddling with my Bachmann Class 37 254 in a BR blue. Did a brief test on a DC test track to find it rather sluggish and then failing. Weird part was the centre of the roof was hot. Took the body off to find it has a Bachmann (ESU) 21pin DCC decoder. Hmmm. Faffed about and fitted a blank plug and it worked sluggishly. So stripped the bogie frames off to find one bogie was full of grease. Cleaned that out and cleaned the wheelset faces and treads, plus the pick ups. Some light lubrication when the wheelset were refitted, and on it was drawing much less current. So tried the decoder and it was dead, hence guess it’s fired through an overload condition.  So a bit disappointing.  No photos as was a bit absorbed in sorting it out. 

I then faffed about my Sprog 2 Version 3, Decoder Pro on my Mac. This is a hateful system which seems to be rather temperamental, but it’s the only DCC controller I have at the moment. Upgraded to version 5.6 of Decoder Pro and the Java 11 environment. It’s weird how the Mac knows the Sprog is there. But I don’t think Decoder Pro does? In the end I gave up with it, because it wouldn’t talk to the either the Class 37 or a Hornby 56 nor a Hornby 50 all with working decoders. 

Finally I had a look at the 56 further. This is a bit of a rat bag model. It is an acquired 56 sound chassis that was in a sorry state.  Managed to fix it up and it was working last time I test it.  Anyway it was dead. After much investigation find a wire of an inductor coil had broke away from it pad, hence open circuit to the motor. Soldered this back on and with 21 pin DCC blank plug, it worked. So slightly pleasing. 

IMG_1499.jpeg.42623d89ca211db896cbe95a9f07696c.jpeg

If anyone has compressor details or the outer sand box mouldings or a 3D print or them, let me know because I will gladly buy them to detail up this chassis and move it along into a finished off model. 

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not a lot happening on the workbench, life is sadly taking over.  But visited York MRS on Sunday 31st March. So some photos of two key models on the horizon the Bachmann Class 31 and Realtrack Class 142, and a few other bits and bobs of interest from what I saw.