Using ESU Lok Programmer with Non ESU Decoders

• RMweb Premium

I purchased an ECoS for my planned layout a few years ago, and have used it primarily to set up decoders whilst using a Dynamis Ultima for my test track; Dual EM, OO(75), OO(100) and N gauge loops, all with turnouts and sidings various, with a short elevated O gauge run and a Y turnout.  Recently I set the long address on a LokPilot 5 Basic using the ECoS and then went to test the locomotive on the test track.  Annoyingly, the Dynamis keeps resetting the long address to 1000.  I was unable to find a reason why online so decided to take the plunge, purchase a Lok Programmer to use for decoder setting up and use the ECoS for the test track.  Nearly all my decoders are ESU so the 'ESU decoder only' constraint for the Lok Programmer is not an issue and I always have the ECoS for other manufacturers decoders.  I have a number of other decoders which I will fit to refurbished and refreshed older stock I am selling on.  LaisDCC, etc.

To my surprise the Lok Programmer has more functionality for non ESU decoders that I thought.  For non ESU decoder fitted locomotives you can:

• Run the loco and select lights and other functions from the drivers cab.
  • Change the short address.
  • When reading decoder information, see the values of CV7 and CV8 (Manufacturer).
  • Have not checked decoder reset yet but will do so.

There may be more hidden functionality for non ESU decoders, I will update if I find any more.  I now have a Dynamis Ultima for sale which should recoup the cost of the Lok Programmer..!

This may be common knowledge but I thought I would share anyway.

• Informative/Useful 1