Red Card Yard

hoover50008

Hi folks

I would like to introduce my new 6’x2’ O gauge layout called “Red Card Yard”.

The layout was built for the up and coming Yealmpton model railway show on 7th October after I was asked last year to provide a layout for this years show.

The layout is based on a small wagon repair facility in the corner of a much larger marshalling yard when such place still existed.  The name is derived from the wagon labelling system used for vehicles that required repairs, the labels were attached to the vehicles so that the shunter was aware that the vehicle was defective and not formed up in a train.

More to follow.

E

IMG_0923.jpeg

IMG_0916.jpeg

• Like 10

The project started back in February this year with the purchase of some base boards from Model Railway Solutions in Poole, these were of good quality and were recommended by a friend who had previously used them.  The base boards supplied in kit for were duly assembled in a couple of hours.

IMG_0783.jpeg

• Like 1

Maybe I have misunderstood the system, but I thought a red card meant its condition was so bad it wasn't fit to go anywhere including the repair yard  and so would have to be fixed on site, and that if it was fit to travel you would use green "for repairs".

So surely the repair yard should only receive the green carded wagons?

Post script - or a Red & Green carded wagon whose only problem was a defective brake.

Edited by Michael Hodgson
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Quite true Michael but this repair facility is in the corner of a much larger marshalling yard so the wagons don’t have to travel anywhere other than over to the repair siding.

If wagons were fit to travel they would have been labelled up for repair and sent to a place where the repairs could be carried out if they couldn’t be repaired locally, besides Green Card Yard doesn’t quite have the same ring to it!!

E

IMG_0932.jpeg

• Like 5

Initially I was going to make an Inglenook type shunting layout but inspired by @Nick G Cripple Corner and @Bungus th' Fogeyman Templegate Wagon Works I decided to produce something along similar lines so the small board was modified to include a sector plate to cut down on the number of points needed and keep things simple.

E

IMG_0796.jpeg

IMG_0797.jpeg

• Like 4

Originally I had planned to have 3 sidings but this would have made things a bit tight scenery wise so as they say less is more so I opted for 2 sidings and a kick back siding to a small stabling point where shunters from the yard can be stabled and serviced.

Apologies for the pictures but these were taken in the spare bedroom.  My other layout Ayrwick Yard Stabling Point can be seen in the background, this has largely gone on the back burner since this project was started.  The line side hut from Ayrwick is now resident on Red Card yard.

E

IMG_0821.jpeg

IMG_0820.jpeg

IMG_0792.jpeg

IMG_0009.jpeg

• Like 12

I made the backscenes fro 4mm ply then I constructed the legs from the traditional 2X1, I did consider buying some trestles but decided against it as storing them would be an issue.  

I didn’t take any pictures of the leg construction and no doubt this is documented elsewhere but I did take a shot of the layout fully put up for the first time in my kitchen.  I had started a bit of scenic work by then which I will detail in more depth later.

E

IMG_0918.jpeg

• Like 10

So luckily today we managed to blag a trip around Red Card Yard.

Fortunately we arrived by van (a re sprayed Corgi Bedford HA) as I didn’t fancy walking through the (Sankey Scenics) derelict housing that is due to be demolished shortly.

IMG_0943.jpeg

After Passing the scrap metal skip (Skytrex) and a pallet of brake gear (West Hill Wagon Works) waiting to go in the skip we parked up in front of the main building (a modified Northumbrian Painting Services brick mess hut) where the sign reminded us to close the gate if we hadn’t done so.

IMG_0946.jpeg

E

Edited by hoover50008
  • Like 10

So after reporting to the yard foreman and donning a HV vest it was off for a look around.

The first thing to see was the imposing A frame crane ( @mudmagnet models) used for changing components and unloading wagons on occasions. Psycho the fitter (Modelu) looks on wondering where he left his lump hammer.

IMG_0978.jpeg

Harry the fitter’s mate is busying himself tidying up the yard on his forklift (West Hill Wagon Works).

IMG_0977.jpeg

E

Edited by hoover50008
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

After watching Harry tidy up the pallets of spares (West Hill Wagon Works) next to the Stores container (Of unknown origin) it was time to wander on.  Harry has put some pallets on the container roof for safe keeping although it seems to be attracting rubbish (both Scale Model Scenery.

IMG_0980.jpeg

Next we pass the junk wagon (Parkside/Pecorino kit).  The old Sand Wagon came on to the yard with a defective axle box, however the 08 derailed on the points entering the siding causing damage so the points which were beyond economical repair.  This left the wagon high and dry so it was subsequently condemned and just left to rot and become a dumping ground.  The barrels and scrap are by Skytrex and the rest by Scale Model scenery.

IMG_0924.jpeg

E

Edited by hoover50008
  • Like 9

So wandering on further down the yard we come across the discussed platelayers hut (Skytrex) which is slowly being consumed by Buddleia and other vegetation.

IMG_0941.jpeg.f270f636adbec0cf259902e18b0e4ba7.jpeg

The bridge and retaining walls are constructed from foam board covered in Redutex  Engineering Brick these are textured sheets which are self adhesive.

IMG_0983.jpeg

E

Edited by hoover50008
  • Like 9

Everything is quiet at the moment in Red Card Yard.  Time to cross over and take a picture of 08227 on Pilot duties today.

IMG_0970.jpeg

Walking up the yard we find out why it’s so quiet, looks like the drivers (Moor View models) are on an extended lunch break!!

IMG_0969.jpeg

E

Edited by hoover50008
  • Like 7

After a brief chat with one of the drivers about an article he had been reading in his railway modelling magazine (Sankey Scenics) it was off down the yard again.

First we come across the wheel set being used as a temporary buffer stop.  I just used this to save space and am happy with the way it turned out the theory being if there was ever the need to unload a road vehicle then the wheel set could easily be removed by Harry on the forklift to give space for turning.  The wheel scotches here and under the junk wagon are by West Hill Wagon works.  The yard concrete surface is grey fab foam from Hobbycraft dry brushed with a concrete colour paint.

IMG_0979.jpeg

E

Edited by hoover50008
  • Like 8

Setting off down the yard we need to take care not to trip over the discarded emergency couplings and anything hidden in the long grass (static Grass by WWScenics).  The ground surface was painted with poster paints then a some WWScenics mud textured paint then rubbed over with some ash from a wood burner.

E

IMG_0995.jpeg

• Like 4

Further on down we pass the low relief disused boarded up cabin, this was closed due to asbestos being found in the ceiling tiles that has not yet been removed.

This building is scratchbuilt with waning signs and litter by Sankey Scenics.

E

IMG_0996.jpeg

Edited by hoover50008
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

So walking down to the end of the yard to the stabling point we find Bristols 08140 receiving a bit of attention from one of a the fitters.  The far end of the yard is situated to the rear of a Council estate (Sankey Scenics).  Whoever cleaned the cab obviously just threw the rubbish (Scale Model Scenery) out.

IMG_0972.jpeg

The fitter and small oil barrels are from Modelu and the 45 gallon oil barrels are from @mudmagnet models.

IMG_0994.jpeg

Edited by hoover50008
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Here’s a few shots of the stock used on Red Card Yard: 

IMG_0989.jpeg

Grampus ZBO 986561 (Parkside/Peco)

IMG_0988.jpeg

CAP Brake Van B951266 (Slaters)

IMG_0987.jpeg

Winkle DB997539 (Parkside)

I use a card system to decide which wagons have to shunted under the hoist for repairs, if it is the wagon situated on the stop blocks then the sequence takes about 20 minutes to complete.

E

Edited by hoover50008
  • Like 6