DCC ocnversion of Older Locos

Newbie2020

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

I have a Bachmann Royal Scot which is DC and I've been told it's difficult to convert to DCC (I'd Like DCC Sound ideally). The model reference is Bachmann 31-275Z. Does anyone know if this is impossible to do or just very tricky? If it is possible whats the best way to go about it?

Cheers

Clive 

Edited by Newbie2020

From memory this model is a split chassis version. So conversion is harder but not impossible with care.  If its not a split chassis then ignore the following conversion details.

The main thing with any older loco is to ensure it runs faultlessly on DC power before considering a conversion. It must not fail to pull away, run erratically or be generally a poor runner.  Split chassis locos don't have the best axle bearings and many are worn due to there age So conversion may be a waste of time and money.  Never convert a poor runner as it will become far worse on DCC!

To convert a split chassis you will need to part the two chassis halves and remove the connection from each chassis half to the motor.  You may have to add insulating tape in the contact area to ensure 100% isolation.  Once the motor connections are isolated, solder a fine flexible wire to each motor terminal and ideally cover the whole connection with heat shrink tubing. The end of these two wire connect to the decoders Orange and Grey wires.  You now need to connect two wires or the decoders red and black wires to each chassis half. You can carefully use the bolts that hold the two halves together but ideally IMO its better to drill and tap a small hole in each half and fit a small bolt in each  (2mm?)  Fit  the red and black wires under these bolt heads.   

Your choice of decoder is quite important and for an older loco I would use a Zimo or ESU   You final problem is where to fit the decoder and speaker if sound is to be installed.  In the tender would be a good choice but that means four flexible wires loco to tender.  

This may give you some idea on conversion....Link to click  who also offer conversion.

Personally, I would not bother to undertake a conversion of such an old loco.  Split chassis (and even Tender drive) locos are old and can cause real problems.  If you really want it converted and don't fancy undertaking the task there are one or two retailers who do undertake commissions,

Edit to correct typos!

Edited by Brian
  • Like 1

I have successfully converted 5 Bachmann split chassis, and although a challenging conversion, it was a very rewarding experience. 4 of the 5 conversions went very well, but for one conversion I had problems, as one of the plastic gears broke. There are replacement parts available, but you may want to check ahead of time, if that is still the case.

I would also recommend using the smallest decoder possible, as there is limited space with the older models.

The following video link showing a split chassis conversion, was a great help for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vvylg1yX_I

Best regards,

Tom D

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Chickened out of doing this myself and sent it to Wickness Models who have done a cracking job! DCC only, no sound sadly, but working great now!

Clive

Edited by Newbie2020
  • Like 1