Nick Dunhill's Workbench - GNR Stirling Single

nickd

• 2 weeks later...

I have now made the cab and splasher assemblies.  The etches were spot on and pretty easy to assemble.  I took a lot of care when forming the footplate and the splashers therefore fitted without any drama or fakery.  Here's everything tacked together.

53401478390_6a9a4c335b_b.jpg

I then made the front guard irons and all the components for the slidebars, piston glands and crossheads.  The slidebars are simply cut from brass section, the piston glands are made using telescoping tubing and some left-over flange etchings.  The crossheads are made from scrap brass and nickel silver and some rods.  You can see in this picture the way I attached them to the piston rear using drills, rods and the crossheads as spacers and jigs.  All very satisfactory and not a 3D print in sight!

53401049181_1f2666c669_b.jpg

The etches for the rods came from Mick Davies and his magic CAD.  Some prototypical looking crankpin nuts were also made.

53401478515_de18ac9f38_b.jpg

I also worked my way through a fairly lenghty list of other details such as vacuum pipes, assorted lubricators, a couple of long reach rods (reversing and cylinder drain cock.)  I added some cast cylinder drain cocks using modified Laurie Griffin castings.

Now I just need to put on my Big-Boy's Pants and make the boiler.  A lot of the above detail work was really just aversion therapy, as the boiler is going to be very tricky.

The boiler clothing on the real loco is flattened as it passes behind the back of the sand boxes and splasher.  You can see it here in the drawing.  Also if you look at the second boiler band in this photo of no 1008 you can clearly see that the curve flattens out ahead of the sand box.

53401484075_6484e26f6a_b.jpg

52009888182_b5a83d8f1b_b.jpg

The issues with making a boiler to fit are also exacerbated by the facts that the boiler will be prototypical diameter but the frames, and therefore splashers and sand boxes, will be closer together.  I'm fully expecting to have to make a second boiler before I get something that fits nicely.

If anyone could tell me what the rivet detail looks like on the top of an atlantic cab (as pic) I'd be grateful for your help.

53401049301_f606a6cf58_b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 2

(It was Frank Sidebottom in case you were all wondering.)

Well here it is nearly finished.  I've added tons of small details such as a draw beam and fall plate, the chimney (with lamp iron) etc etc.

53412506676_3840a2055b_b.jpg

53412677573_2ab14ace4b_b.jpg

53412677318_9de7631b4d_b.jpg

The cab needs some nice castings for the backhead and the loco needs a pair of injectors.  Mike Hopkins from Scale Factor has promised me them early in the new year.  Mike has supplied lots of the castings for this model in cast brass and 3D print form, he has them all in his range of castings.  There are also some 3D prints from Mick Davies.  This model has been a challenge, and the handrail fought me to the end too!

Happy Xmas to all and I'll upgrade this blog in the new year when the loco is complete.  

Mike Morris GWR 155 tank next.  Anyone made one?

Edited by nickd
  • Like 14

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...