Battery Recharge Tests

The new train was being tested again today. I watched, and heard, it passing on the embankment just south of South Greenford and, though not "eerily quiet" it was quieter than normal Distric Line stock.

I then walked down to Castle Bar Park to get the train to W. Ealing (I was enroute to Ealing Broadway) . I'd hoped to see and photograph it coming back towards Greenford before my train arrived but found it still at W. Ealing on the charging rails. The Lizzie line train arrived as the Greenford train was pulling in, so I only had time to get a couple of snaps.  

IMG_5782.JPG.24ed01533475509b082b854654d2a414.JPG

IMG_5783.JPG.f0045d3fa3a7b1edc7d85a483a05cf16.JPG

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 4

It seems that GWR had a demonstration for the press etc then before most of the reports got issued and videos uploaded etc they suspended the testing.

I saw a report that the charging rails at West Ealing had been fitted in a position which made it impossible to fit two units in the platform whilst charging.  The rails were going to have to be moved as a result. 

What is it about the railway today which makes it so exceptional at wasting money?  If there is a requirement to fit two units in the platform, which it appears there is, then why on earth was this not factored in at the start?  It's not rocket science and this expensive ineptitude makes my blood boil. 

Edited by DY444
  • Agree 3

The current branch service is operated by a single 2 car class 165/166 and the 30 minute schedule is fine. Why do they need a second unit.

is it so that a second unit could be used to rescue a failed one.

or they are thinking of increasing the frequency.

one issue possibly is that the Class 230 is a 3 car unit so requires extra space and Two 3 car units in the platform is the issue.

Certainly they would have to add a second charging point is there are to be two units in the platform at the same time.