Dean 6'4" bogies - some queries

Hi all,

I'm currently building a GWR diagram D66 brake third.  I know it won't be quite the right length, but I'm using some left over Parkside 4 wheel coach sides cut and shut together.

It needs Dean 6'4" bogies which I can get from Stafford Road Models (Shapeways).

1 - would they still have footboards on the bogies in 1949?

2 - is there any supplier who sells the 'arms' that connect from the bogie corners to the solebars?

Thanks in advance

Will

Not my period - I tend to loose interest after 1914 but I’d be surprised if any Dean period low roofed coaches were in revenue service in 1949. Some might be in use as workmen’s trains but you’d have to check the coach registers to be sure unless anyone on here has researched these coaches specifically.

But to answer your question: almost certainly the upper footboards which were fixed to the sole bars would be in place. The lower footboards, these were removed either from in front of the bogies, or between the bogies , or both in the years after WW1. You need a photo of your type of coach to see what was done I’m afraid - there is not to my knowledge a hard and fast rule or date.

Are you a member of the Great Western Study Group and if yes have you asked on their IO groups - there are some extremely knowledgeable people lurking there! If no do think about joining…

Regards

Duncan

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Duncan,

There were three of that diagram still around in 1949 so I can use one of those numbers.

I'll only put the upper footboards on and order bogies without them

Thanks again

Will

30 minutes ago, Penrhos1920 said:

Footboards were removed from the bogies and replaced with a step on the outer end.

By 1949 there were only 3 D66s left.

Your very useful website was where I got the idea of making one. Thanks for creating and maintaining it.

Will