Pottendorf - Eine Sekundärbahn

Tim-Hale

• RMweb Gold

Good to see you back on here, Tim. 

Looking forward to further updates on P'dorf. 

Rob. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for setting the context of your layout.  I was lucky enough to have a ride on the DFS in June this year, and it's a lovely ride through beautiful countryside.  Highly recommended!  You have now explained why Beringsmühle station looks like a through station.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Tim, 

I see a few modellers using the Halfords Camouflage brown for trackwork. Thinking ahead to my new layout, I normally use Humbrol acrylic dark earth, again an aerosol. It covers well and you can overpaint within the hour, if not sooner. 

I take it the Halfords aerosol compares favourably in terms of coverage, drying time ? 

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just fell over this thread - very nice what you are doing. Speaking about the Erdkeller - they were sometimes in groups, if a village has a road next to a slope there were these cellars one next to the other one. And of course they were also used for other things than potatoes, people made and stored Most (kind of cider, but sometimes not only apples but all kind of fruit) or wine. My aunt had an old farm building which had such an Erdkeller on a slope behind the budlings, it always had a fascination for me as a boy to get in there.   

Have a good Christmas

or

Frohe Weihnachten!

Edited by Vecchio
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to watch progress on your layout. The standard of modelling on Pottendorf/Grafenwalde is admirable.

Am I right in assuming you are still keeping the Bavarian buildings and stock and simply swopping them over with the East German equivalents from time to time? I had thought of doing something similar with my layout (Weidenstein) as I have an as yet unbuilt kit of the same building, but have no use for it at the moment. Auhagen (who produce the kit) state that the prototype was at the terminus of a metre gauge line in Prussia, but it was a standard design in other states which were under the influence of Berlin. Attached is a photo of an example from Kalenborn, the end of the Kasbachtalbahn which runs from Linz on the east bank of the Rhine. The photo dates from 1984 when the branch was still run by the DB, albeit goods only, though these days it survives as a heritage line.

Kalenborn2.jpg.f3946612735e5b9d1e8f16e76ffbdebc.jpg

The design is almost exactly the same at the kit except that the bricked areas are built with coursed stone and the Goods shed is on the other end of the building. 

I look forward to seeing Grafenwalde as it develops.

David C

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

One of the reasons which I think make your layouts so realistic is your use of texture. Roads, paths, platforms, yards etc do have texture, but it is much finer and subtler than ballast (even that intended for N gauge) which a lot of modellers use. This is what I have been trying to achieve in recent years, with what I hope is some measure of success. As I am toying with extending both my layouts, I am curious about AcrylMasse - is this a Heki product?

David C

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/01/2024 at 09:12, Tim-Hale said:

The now reunited stock has been joined by another tiny T3 BR89 and a slightly incorrect V23 diesel but both would been appropriate for Grafenwalde and it seems churlish not to capitulate to fate and not build Grafenwalde 2.0 for use at home (the cassettes are replaced by sidings) 

The V23 is not actually that far out. There was an article on Rennsteig in Eisenbahn Journal  back in about 1983 which mentioned the real Frauenwald.  In its latter years V15s were used; almost identical to the V23 but less powerful. V36 0-6-0 diesels were also used. In earlier years T3s were indeed used but services appear to have been dominated by the BR98.62 0-4-0Ts.

Dostos were used on the line to Rennsteig — there is a photo in the article of a 94 hauling a set, but immediately behind the loco is a four-wheeled luggage van, and there are a couple of wagons on the rear. The line from Rennsteig to Frauenwald saw various coaches, in the last year a pair of Donnerbüchsen saw use in a mixed train.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Is that photo of the DB version? The slightly down-at-heel look is quite endearing.

I'm enjoying this thread, Tim. Your enthusiasm and knowledge of the subject shines through.

David

• Thanks 1

• Tim-Hale changed the title to Pottendorf - Eine Sekundärbahn
  • RMweb Premium

Your philosophy Tim, with which I fully agree, is beautifully expressed, The accompanying photograph quite wonderfully illustrates the practical outcome of that philosophy. 

I've followed your progress around a number of proposed projects but this seems to be the one that really strikes a chord within you. I am so enjoying the progress so far.

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tim-Hale said:

My project is based upon a notion that a well known rural line, the Wiesenttalbahn, had been extended a few more kilometres

Is the line which runs from Forchheim to Behringsmühle?    My wife is originally from Nürnberg and we have travelled the preserved section between Ebermannstadt and Behringsmühle a few times behind steam and diesel, a very scenic route.  So far I have not managed a ride on DB Regio between Forchheim and Ebermannstadt as this section was subject to long term bustitution with Schmetterling Reisen buses serving the villages along the route due to construction works on the parallel ICE line through Forchheim.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

That's a delightful photo, Tim, with the track creeping along behind the houses. Sadly, nigh impossible in the UK with our more stringent rules about track segregation.

David

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Tim, I've got one of the bicycle racks from that kit (it was supplied with the shed which I have used for the platform shelter on Schinkendorf)...if you'd like it,  I'll pop it in the post. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1