RMweb

Class 86103

Marcyg

Morning all.

Im looking for pictures of 86103 Andre Chapelon as she was around 89/90, namely the roof detail and underframe details. Seems to be precious little on the web about it sadly.

Thanks

There are quite a few decent side shots from this period showing underframe details on Flickr (shots in InterCity Executive livery are from around this time) :

Flickr Search

Of note on the roof - 86103 was fitted, certainly in 1989, with a pantograph observation turret in the middle of the non-pantograph end.  On Class 86s and 87s, there were originally translucent (I think) panels in the roof below the pantograph and in the same spot at the other end, to provide some lighting for the central corridor below.  This roof section was removed and the turret fitted in its place, in which an observer could presumably stand, or a camera be mounted.  There are good side views of this feature in the search link above, and it was fitted with a window on the pantograph-facing end.

General roof details are likely to be the same as those for the other 86/1s (which I think from memory were the same as the remainder of the 86s / 87s) - someone will correct me I'm sure! 

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2023 at 18:10, Wickham Green too said:

Not a lot of use for the roof - but at least you can get the weathering right ! : - 

390_05.jpg.2d9a868abdd4f207d6ecf306adb7ac70.jpg

Harrow & Wealdstone : 8/9/89

Of course.  It had the original high intensity headlight. Presumably the same type as fitted to the 87s maybe