The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Berberis Lost All Its Leaves

Captain Cuttle

2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Possibly drought stress, has it shown signs of re-growing?

No, nothing its lost all its leaves bar maybe one or two which are hanging on by a thread, shrubs either side not affected.

It hasnt died because if you cut into the shoots they are still green.

Our climate is currently playing havoc with a lot of things, not too sure if we have answers for them all, what's your soil, mine are in coastal sandy free draining and seem ok, indeed they are spreading everywhere, what with birds spreading the seeds.

That does look bad, though it looks like some new shoots there, have you looked on the RHS site, I'm really a vegetable gardener, not too good on fleurs and the like. You could post those pictures on the Gardeners World forum, someone might have an answer for you.

Edited by tigerburnie

• 5 months later...

Just recently acquired some succulents from a relation of a lady who lived opposite us and passed away just after Christmas. A couple are [i think] Moth Orchids. Not sure what to do with them, any experts on here?

orchid !  rs 1.jpg

orchid 1 rs 2.jpg

orchid 2 rs 1.jpg

orchid 2 rs 2.jpg

6 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Not an expert, but ...

Don't over-water, though they do of course need water.

If you have to re-pot them, use special orchid compost, not the ordinary sort you'd use for other house plants.

And keep the cats off them!

Yes got some special orchid compost but the larger one seems to have one plant on top of the other. Does that have to be be potted separately? Both have been in flower since we rescued them from her bungalow where they had been in the cold for a couple of months. I think they want repotting and both are in clear plastic pots for some reason. Our cat has not shown any interest in them at all. Also given a mature Aloe Vera which is growing well after repotting and two either Xmas or Easter cactus.

19 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Yes got some special orchid compost but the larger one seems to have one plant on top of the other. Does that have to be be potted separately? Both have been in flower since we rescued them from her bungalow where they had been in the cold for a couple of months. I think they want repotting and both are in clear plastic pots for some reason. Our cat has not shown any interest in them at all. Also given a mature Aloe Vera which is growing well after repotting and two either Xmas or Easter cactus.

They come from the shops in clear plastic pots. 

Mrs SM42 waters sparingly and keeps them on window cills for the light and they are rotated for a spell in the bathroom after flowering and during. 

She has kept them coming into flower for several years now.  

This is more by luck than any sort of knowledge. 

They are all  in original pots and just watered occasionally 

Andy

• Informative/Useful 1