Class 17 activity around Derby

lather

While their use in Scotland and Cumbria seems quite well documented, the use of Class 17s elsewhere is less well covered. Thirteen locos were allocated to Barrow Hill shed for a short while, and I've come across occasional mentions of them in the Derby area, but it's always a bit vague.

Does anyone have any info on what use they saw in the Derby area, and how widely they strayed from Barrow Hill? I'm particularly interested in any use on the Derby to Rowsley line. Also, did any of them make it as far as Burton-on-Trent?

They worked trip traffic from Barrow Hill shed to the local collieries.  Remainded very local around that area. One did a railtour helping out a 4F. 

Excepting those stored at St Mary's goods yard upon completion or for rectification and those at the RTC or the one at Derby Works for conversion to mobile generator  they were unknown at Derby and especially so at Burton.

Tony

9 minutes ago, Rail-Online said:

They worked trip traffic from Barrow Hill shed to the local collieries.  Remainded very local around that area. One did a railtour helping out a 4F. 

Here is the Railtour referred to above, organised by the R.C.T.S. (West Midlands Branch), it was the "Midlands Locomotive Requiem Rail Tour" and ran on 16th. October, 1965.

4F 0-6-0 43953 was brought from Workington to haul the excursion.

D8613 & 43953 worked the excursion together only between Seymour Jcn. and Glapwell Colliery.

8613,43953-Seymour Jcn-1965-ebay.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rail-Online said:

Excepting those stored at St Mary's goods yard upon completion or for rectification and those at the RTC or the one at Derby Works for conversion to mobile generator  they were unknown at Derby and especially so at Burton.

Tony

In one of the FB groups I'm a member of, which focuses on the Derby to Miller's Dale line, there's a couple of photos of Class 17s on that line.

One is dated 1963 and shows one running LE with a BV at Ambergate. Being local to the area, I can tell from the background that its heading towards Derby on the line from Miller's Dale. It's a colour picture and the loco is painted red, which I'm assuming is primer or undercoat, and carrying a headcode of 0T44. 

The second picture is black and white, and the loco looks a lighter shade than the red one in the first picture. It's seen at Miller's Dale on the down line just on the station side of the viaduct. Again, it carries the 0T44 headcode, but this time doesn't have a brakevan attached. 

Given the 1963 date of the first picture and the apparent primer/undercoat scheme, I'm assuming some sort of test run prior to delivery. 

Never knew about them being stored at St Mary's.