Greater Manchester - 'Modern Tramway' 1983

A Rail Strategy for Greater Manchester (1983). …

Reading the ‘Modern Tramway’ Journal of May 1983 in Autumn 2023, took me back to the time when I was working for Greater Manchester Council. The County Engineer was A.E. Naylor. I was working in the Engineer’s office in County Hall.

The ‘Modern Tramway’ carried an article by W.J. Wyse about the then recently released rail strategy for the conurbation.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2023/10/10/a-rail-strategy-for-greater-manchester-1983/

It's interesting in BR's eyes the thoughts of having the London Inter City services go to Preston rather than terminate, rather glad that didn't happen, without a massive increase in capacity through Manchester all the way to Preston that would have been a recipe for disaster.

I think now we should be glad they did not choose the more expensive tunnel option for the LRT, quite how they would have expanded that as the network grew I don't know, obviously more tunnels but that might have actually worked against more expansion due to the growing cost of tunnelling.  With more and more of the centre becoming pedestrianised the above ground LRT fits in quite well with well positioned stops however, I think it is at it's peak now, there needs to be new options perhaps that don't involve navigating the centre of the city.

And with that thoughts do now seem to be moving towards an outer network, connecting Bury and Rochdale, a line to Middleton and expansion to Stalybridge and the long term aim of Wigan, Glossop, Rose Hill and Marple.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 16/10/2023 at 14:02, rogerfarnworth said:

A Rail Strategy for Greater Manchester (1983). …

Reading the ‘Modern Tramway’ Journal of May 1983 in Autumn 2023, took me back to the time when I was working for Greater Manchester Council. The County Engineer was A.E. Naylor. I was working in the Engineer’s office in County Hall.

The ‘Modern Tramway’ carried an article by W.J. Wyse about the then recently released rail strategy for the conurbation.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2023/10/10/a-rail-strategy-for-greater-manchester-1983/

Reading May 1983 edition in the Autumn of 2023 is one serious back log of reading …………

Andy

• Like 1