Sotherington Lane - Late 1960's/Early 1970's Southern Region electrified branch line

Geep7

• RMweb Gold

If any of you have seen or followed any of my previous layout threads, you’ll know I seem to be unable to keep to a fixed plan, and always ending up extending them. The same has happened again, and the result is Sotherington Lane.

Its genesis started with the desire to build a small shunting plank, where I can run some of my Southern Region rolling stock whilst I don't have the room for a large layout. The initial build of this is documented in a thread on the Micro Layout section of this site, but I’ll do a quick overview here.

The baseboards, at their core, are a couple of Ikea Lack Shelves. The main (original) baseboard is a 110cm long Lack, extended with a 30cm Lack. The fiddle yard is a 110cm Lack cut down to about 28 inches in length, and a further board, extending the scenic section, is what was left of that 110cm Lack. They have all been widened with some 1.5in x 1.5in square softwood either side of the lack, and then faced with 9mm Ply. The layout including fiddle yard, is now about 8ft6in in length by 14in width. Due to the lack (excuse the pun) of space to add coach bolts, the boards are joined with over centre catches, with metal dowels for board alignment.

The track plan has evolved into what is shown below:

lackshelf-extended-e.jpg.b2d60b5a516d8f30fe7e5af3f31896cf.jpg

As described on the other thread, and repeated here for brevity, the idea is that this was a former through station, with both platforms electrified, and the branch line continuing to the right (the middle of the 3 top sidings) non-electrified. Electric services would have always terminated here, with the top-most siding electrified with a cleaning platform provided. The rest of the track is all for freight traffic and is non-electrified. Inspiration for this track-plan has come from Waddon Marsh on the former Wimbledon to Croydon line, but I had given thought to basing this in Kent, and having overhead in the freight sidings, however this would more than likely preclude running the odd Western Region hydraulic. So, for now, the freight lines will be non-electrified, and, rather than set it somewhere specific, it is somewhere on the South Western, on the Surrey/Hampshire border, just on the fringes of electrification. Passenger services will be restricted to 2-car multiple units, so this means Epb, Hap, Bil/Hal electric units, 2h DEMU and the odd Western Region bubble car or parcels unit. I may run a shortened 117 on occasions. But unlikely to be any loco-hauled trains

The siding leading off stage and back to the fiddle-yard will allow me to run all sorts of freight stock. Whilst the goods yard (the bottom 2 RH sidings) will allow for general freight traffic, the branch line leading off stage could lead to any kind of industry. For now, I’ve resisted on being specific, but thoughts in my mind include it leading to an MoD depot, a cement works or a household coal depot. Tbh, I already have freight stock for the first 2, and have some Parkside 21t HTV hoppers to build (plus a diesel brake tender), so I may just run all 3.

As currently built, it is with the through line closed, but there is the possibility of opening up the right-hand end, and adding another fiddle yard. This would be purely for exhibitions though, as I only have the room to put up the current layout, without upsetting the household authorities. It would however make it a true through station, and I would keep the branch non-electrified, with electric services turning back here.

Here are some views of the current state of progress.

SotheringtonLane-14Sept23.jpg.9402bdbc469cbbc044fdfe1825436b24.jpg

A front view of the layout. I am still to add the wings which will support the lighting gantry. The fascia will also be painted in something a lot darker, possibly black, or a dark grey, similar to some of my previous layouts.

SotheringtonLane-Headshuntsidings-14Sept23.jpg.d155fc338ac8dee4d8a16c17a5657b55.jpg

A view of the sidings. The siding with the Western on will be cut back much shorter, and the two front sidings will have a loading dock, with a modified and extended SR style provenders store building.

SotheringtonLane-Lookingatthestationfootbridge-14Sept23.jpg.6211e6f7f48c639f85340c777b82daf4.jpg

SotheringtonLane-Stationfootbridgelookingtowardssidings-14Sept23.jpg.5de32a730bc66e1c6433f563442c2728.jpg

Two views of the island platform and the footbridge. To hide the tracks leaving the scene, and covering the narrow end of the platform, there will be a road overbridge, currently under construction. I was tempted to do the branch line in a different style, but both are going to be plate girder bridges. I am aware that I am probably pushing the realms of reality with the narrowness of the platform, but I really didn't have much other choice. I may model a disused platform along the rear track, showing that at one time there was a double-sided platform, similar to Ascot, Guildford and Ventnor, on which the former station building stood.

As just mentioned, i'm currently focusing on getting the road bridge built. I'll then look at getting the point motors fitted and wired up.... but i'm taking this all slowly as and when time permits.

Why Sotherington Lane? Well, originally I was intending to make up a complete fictional history for this layout, and was looking at the possibility of the line being an extension of the line to Bordon, which continued and joined up with the Meon Valley line, and this station being at Selborne. Whilst I was looking at some maps, I noticed one of the roads leading from Selborne toward Bordon is named Sotherington Lane, and it just seemed to click, and I thought I could just probably do without the fictional history, and go with a somewhere on the Surrey/Hampshire border.

Edited by Geep7
Spelling and Grammar
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Progress Update 1

So a couple of updates to get us up to the current stage of progress.

20230725_164524_1024px.jpg.466d1a878fbd2cacf035f5449a8fab40.jpg

First up is the signal box. This being one of the Ratio ARP kits. I wanted something slightly different for this layout, and settle on this, after I noticed that there was a similar looking box at Gomshall. The kit is basically made up as per the instructions, but was painted entirely in Vallejo Stone Grey (a decent approximation for concrete) and then the brick colour dry-brushed on. The windows are, I think, Railmatch Southern Green, but might be a Vallejo shade that's very close. They were painted before painting the concrete, hence needing some touching up, which I will get around to doing at some point.

The platforms, as seen in the first post, aren't particularly complex, being Peco concrete sides, with the rest of the structure made of 40 thou plasticard. The surface will be some fine grade wet/dry paper.

This then brings us to the footbridge. As I have mentioned, the is some inspiration from Waddon Marsh with the island platform, and this continues to how passengers access it. I originally had planned to have a staton building of the road overbridge, but I felt this has been done so often I wanted to do something different.

The footbridge is a kitbash of 2 Ratio concrete footbridges, arranged with opposed stairways. The reason for using 2 kits, was to extend the centre span to 5 panels. It's also been given a slight angle, just to try and get away from everything being so square and regimented. Here are a few views.

footbridge1.jpg.87f8716e9eac61b245aa8773d189a234.jpg footbridge2.jpg.525f513d1443677a6826cd4180a448ee.jpg 

footbridge3.jpg.08fb87887efdedf33dc106e9290bc955.jpg 73Caroline.jpg.295b3ca2b99dbf0a431ed3c9264bfbf6.jpg

And above the SR General Manager's Inspection Saloon propelled by ED E6037 performs a clearance check run. E6037, is a renumber of the latest Dapol 73120. It's had a coat of matt varnish, but definitely needs some weathering. An the Inspection Saloon is Revolution Trains excellent model.

Part 2 to follow soon....

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Progress update part 2

I did intend to post this progress update almost straight after the last one, but as ever, life gets in the way.

So next on the list, structure wise, to get to a stage before scenery can start is the bridge forming the fiddle yard view block.

I've been wanting to try building a plate girder bridge for a while now, and having a couple of the Wills vari-girder kits in stock, I thought this would be the ideal solution.

bridge1.jpg.6a04cf5a1415445b54ba33da099e554e.jpg  bridge2.jpg.38425785bd47fdee016924ff9c45a18a.jpg

So as we see in the photos, there are two spans, one short, crossing the freight branch, and 1 long, crossing the main lines and platform. The top spans are made up of various numbers of plates from the vari-girder kit to suit the span, with a piece of Plastruct girder to form the plate for the deck. The abutments, are the Wills kits, although I could have probably made them from plain brick plastic sheet, but I like the relief on the Wills brick sheets.

girder_small.jpg.251e07340125947b6900aa84d277f58d.jpg

The Plastruct girders have been detailed with some microstrip and rivets. The rivets are from Scale Model Scenery and are laser-cut on thin mdf. The strips were still a little thick for what I wanted, and with them being mdf, I was able to just take off the top 2 layers, which were then glued in place with Plastic weld.

bridge3.jpg.d2b1b5dc876d600345862cedd1ec2289.jpg

And here we are, up to date. The girders have been attached to the base plate for the road, this being a single piece of 40 thou plasticard. I've place it back on the layout to check for fit, and how it looks, and i'm pretty pleased with it.

The plan is to add a central support to the longer span, just to hide up the exit to the fiddle yard a bit more. The intention is for this to be made of a couple of circular columns, joined with cross-spars. But i'm not entirely sure if a span of this width would require it really. But I think I will build it, try it in place, and then see how it looks.

Other than that, it needs some cross girders adding under the spans, just so if any ground level photos are taken, it won't look daft. Plus finishing off the abutments, and then I can look at the road surface itself.

However, before I do that, I've just received an IKEA order, with a couple of new display cabinets to make (one for trains) and a new modelling desk. I may, or may not, have sneaked in a couple of Lack shelves with the order for a future project.

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not a massive update this time, as I was pulled away last weekend to help build a new N gauge layout for my nephew. However, I did get a chance to give the backscene a first initial coat of sky blue paint.

SotheringtonLane-07Nov23.jpg.1e70cfae13ca34f5cb028dc8f521af9e.jpg

I bought a tester pot of emulsion paint called "Blue Horizon", and there was just enough in the pot to cover the whole backscene. I think it works pretty well, so i've order a full tin of the stuff to give it another coat, and which should be of use for any future layouts as well. I'm seriously considering replacing my Spanish layouts printed Peco backscene with this plain colour. It'll be easier to patch up any damage, should any occur.

bus-on-bridge.jpg.5a01233ba2c4694063c158258a63461e.jpg

A view of the bridge, with the obligatory bus.... I currently have the far corner of the road/bridge right up tight in the corner of the backscene, but I think I have scope to move the bridge to the right a couple of centimetres or so, which should allow for a tree to hide up the corner joint. I was originally going to try and curve the corners of the backscene, but I don't think I have enough room to do so.

surgeon.jpg.7e3a23d825abb6f1731c0c084abede63.jpg

I have also been gradually working on this Cambrian Sturgeon over the past few months. I took it rather slow and steady, and I think it's come out rather well so far. It's currently still in primer, waiting to go through the paint shop, and will be turned out in well-weathered Engineering Black. A rather enjoyable kit to build, even though it appeared daunting to start with. I do have another to build, but thankfully it's the version without the doors (no need to make 28 identical wire door handles this time), and also a Salmon. They are however, rather long wagons. I hadn't appreciated quite how long they were until i'd finished it and put it on the layout. So this will make the odd appearance on the layout, with a Grampus and Dogfish for company.

So next tasks..... the bridge still needs finishing, but I think I want to get the point motors fitted, even if not wired up, and then get the ballasting done.

However, before I ballast, I need to work out positions for the magnets to uncouple the Kadees. For now, i've been using a cocktail stick, but, should this layout ever end up being exhibited (never say never), i'll want hands off uncoupling. I intend to use the neodymium magnets again, now I know how they work, as they have a smaller area of influence compared to the proper Kadee magnets, and they also seem to work better on shallow curves. But the good news with trying out the magnet positions is, I get to play run trains.

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So i've made some progress over the past week or so.

bridgeunderside.jpg.61a6e2c8b9116ca67b3a7a05ff81c81c.jpg

Here is the underside of the bridge, which i've added the extra cross pieces to. It's not meant to be 100% prototypical, but it at least will look better than just a huge void.

middle_abutment.jpg.b171ace4d153973d138ba30663843727.jpg     middle_abutment2.jpg.a9c7746ba746f27ea025f55d6527a7e8.jpg

I've also done some work on the abutments and parapets. The centre abutments have been joined into one piece, and I just need to add a small piece of wall on each side.

bridge4.jpg.8c67c2a793e47c6c691174171c5dd245.jpg

And here is the entire bridge back on the layout, after I had given the deck and girders a coat of acrylic primer. I'm not sure what colour to paint the girders, or whether to leave them in the grey primer and just weather them from this.

Also you can see i've start planning out the embankment wall along the backscene. I'm not sure whether to leave it at full height for a bit, and then slowly drop it down, or start to drop it down straight away. Perhaps I could have a low relief building at the top of the embankment (the former station building?), but I don't want to have too many buildings on the layout, as it's meant to be deep out in the countryside.

Progress will probably be a lot slower from now until the new year. Not only is the festive season fast approaching, so the layout will need to be put away. But work pressures may see me having to do some weekend work, so eating into my already scarce modelling time.  Oh, and then there is the N gauge layout that my father and I are building. I may have done something silly and bought myself an N gauge Class 66 and some china clay JIA hopper wagons..... a small N gauge china clay works micro layout is tempting. But not until Sotherington Lane is mostly finished.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So not a huge amount of progress to report on since my last update.

However, before I put the layout away for Christmas I did manage to get the fascia panels for the lighting made.

withlightinggantry.jpg.a96d79a5d558fdc6d0390832263a6a79.jpg

You'll have to excuse the mess on the layout itself, as when I took the picture, I was in the middle of tidying up.

In the new year, the plan is to get the lighting fitted. These will be 3 x 2ft fluorescent units fitted with daylight tubes, which i've had since my first exhibition layout. As they are still working, and I have spare tubes, it would be a waste to dispose of them for LED's.

In the meantime, if I get any spare time between work and family commitments, i'll probably work on some of my wagon kits, and try to finish my BR.41 locomotive kit, which was bought for me as a present last Christmas.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

So it's almost the end of January, and i'm conscious that i've not done an update since way before Christmas.

It's only over the past couple of weeks that any progress has been made, and this is to the fiddle yard. Originally, I had only planned to run 2 car EMU's and short freights, however, since changing the track plan to how it is now, I can get much longer freights in the run-round loop than I had originally intended.

Some measuring and playing around found that if I added an additional 110cm lack shelf, plus a piece of 2x2 wood, I could extend the sector plate long enough to take a Class 52 + Brake tender + 5 x HTV coal hoppers + BR 20-ton brake van, the longest train I plan to run.

FiddleYardextended.jpg.f0e2b54637605bcf3fbeef6b4b238772.jpg

And here it is, extended. The sector plate extension is just 2 pieces of 4mm mdf cut to size and glued face to face to match the thickness of the original. They are joined by 2 pieces of 1"x1" aluminium angle, which helps to keep the whole thing rigid, and has, so far, stopped the MDF from warping.

There was part of me that was tempted to replace the entire sector plate to widen it to 4 tracks, but I have resisted so far. I am hoping that 3 tracks should be plenty for a home layout, but should it ever be exhibited, it may not be enough. If this were the case, I would also think about replacing it with cassettes, although this would mean altering the entry tracks at the rear. However, one benefit of doing that would be, I could add a scenic area in front of the fiddle yard, continuing the branch line a bit further, or adding some sidings.

There is still some work to do to finish the extension, with an additional facia, to about an inch about rail height, across the end of the board to stop anything running off the end of the layout. Better to be safe than sorry.

Moving forwards, i'd like to start getting the point motors fitted to the main scenic board, and then continue with the scenery. However, I still need to complete the wiring on the N gauge joint project layout that I am building with my father and young nephew, so this will probably be the priority first.

Until next time..... happy modelling.

• Like 4

I’d missed this so far. Looking nice and Southern already; good stuff!

Regarding those bridges: I’m having trouble getting straight in my head how they work as structures, how the road deck is carried. Are the big, upper “girders” actually just acting as protection fences, or do they bear load? They look as if they do, but I then can’t see how they do. Are they based on a prototype that’s been rebuilt/strengthened at some stage?

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Nearholmer said:

Regarding those bridges: I’m having trouble getting straight in my head how they work as structures, how the road deck is carried. Are the big, upper “girders” actually just acting as protection fences, or do they bear load?

Hmmmm, I ummm, well, I think you've caught me out there with that question. I've probably fallen into that old modelling trap of, I think this looks nice, so i'll model it like this.

However, I would imagine that the big upper girders are bearing the load, and the lower part is the deck structure.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I’m no civil engineer, but the former BR(LM) Bridge Engineer, who wrote a jolly good book about bridges for model makers, was a member of our local MRC, and he schooled us all to look out for these things!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/88338145

I have that on my ebay Watch list, and been meaning to get a copy....

I think I can get away with it this time (can I?), but for next time, i'll try and be much more accurate.

I reckon they’ve been strengthened, incorporating those lower girders, in response to changing road traffic. Maybe a factory opened nearby during the war, making immensely heavy things that had to go out by road.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I reckon they’ve been strengthened, incorporating those lower girders, in response to changing road traffic. Maybe a factory opened nearby during the war, making immensely heavy things that had to go out by road.

Yes, and that would go along with my MoD supplies depot somewhere down the branch narrative as well. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I had better raise my hand to the same failure of civil engineering:

Sorry!

Lovely layout, by the way.  Look forward to reading more.

Edited by C126
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

So on Sunday I had the first opportunity of the year to put the whole layout together to make sure that, with the extension, it doesn't take up too much space in the living room. Fortunately it does, and doesn't impose too much on the rest of the family. Domestic happiness is always the most important thing when sharing your modelling space in a small house.

Whilst the layout was up, I decided to have a short running session, to try out the new fiddle yard. After a quick clean with some electrical contact cleaner, it ran perfectly. The only disappointment was the new-style Peco loco lifts. For some reason, my Dapol Class 73's just did not want to run onto them. I shall have to investigate, but I am using the lifts with Code 75 track, so this could be the reason, but something was definitely catching and preventing them going into the loco-lift.

Here's a few pictures I took whilst running playing trains....

2hJB.png.7fa294cb3618074895c8e09dbb1e7f07.png

2H 1122 has just entered the mu stabling siding, whilst JB E6037 waits to take a freight. The JB still needs a bit of weathering doing to it. The bogies are far too clean!

2-Hapinthestation.png.1b2fedd3f26ed43e71c4a4e68c1e2b8b.png

A 2-Hap has just arrived on a service from London Waterloo.

This is DC-Kits kit, built pretty much as per the instructions, but motorised with a Hornby 2-Bil/Hal motor bogie. I am really happy with how this has turned out, and i'm just waiting for some warmer weather to finally paint it. It'll be in BR Blue with full yellow ends, at which point Bachmann will announce theirs. It still needs some work with the internal electrics. The intention is to have the headcode boxes switch from white to red, so I have rear red blinds. Whilst at the front i'll have 2 blanks, rather than a route number, it's a compromise I can live with, until someone develops a working LED screen headcode panel.

E6007arrivingonpresflos.png.6e31c36803a392f628f8ca4d41fee604.png

Next JB E6007 in early blue arrives with a train of PRESFLO wagons. These are destined for the branch line. The JB will run round it's train and set them back, and move to a siding to allow the branch locomotive to arrive to take them away.

viewoverthebridge.png.ed751cb9d741660813d8a368a3a1d0df.png

Our intrepid photographer has made his way up onto the roadbridge to record a passing of passenger trains. The 2H DEMU will depart shortly, possibly with a service to Reading?

JB E6007 has moved into the headshunt ready to run around the PRESFLO's once the DEMU has departed.

RH07arrivesfrombranch.png.27a94d31b8d80b223a80bd9df5706f52.png

And our photographer has managed to make his way back to the embankment just in time, as here is the branch locomotive. This 07 seems to have escaped from Southampton Docks or Eastleigh depot.......

This factory weathered Heljan example was picked up second-hand whilst on holiday in the west country last summer, and it is a beautiful runner. Unlike some factory weathered rtr locos, I rather like the weathering on this. I will eventually renumber this loco back into the Dxxxx series

07PresflosandJBE6007.png.297b69b4e383b62a674796c036c24494.png

Here we see 07009 has backed onto the train of presflos, and is ready to leave, whilst E6007 waits in the yard.

E6007 is my first Dapol Class 73 and one of the limited edition factory weathered issues, which I managed to pick up, again second-hand, at the Farnham show a couple of years back. I had originally sworn i'd never replace my Lima Class 73's, saying they were good enough, but getting this Dapol 73, and putting them side by side has convinced me otherwise. I now have 4 Dapol Class 73's (including E6037 in the earlier photo), the latest of which, a JA, arrived today, courtesy of Kernow MRC. At £85, who could say no, and it's nice to have a JA, rather than a JB.

The main baseboard is now up in the living room so I can work on the scenery as and when I can in the evenings, when there is nothing on the TV to watch (i.e. most of the time), but this weekend there will be no work done, as I will be at the Alton Model Railway show, assisting exhibiting my friends layout, Horsebridge Wharf. Unfortunately, although Southern, it's set in the 1930's and is EM gauge, so no chance of any guest Blue diesel or electrics appearing.

But, until next time, happy modelling folks.....

• Like 17

On 26/01/2024 at 15:28, Nearholmer said:

I’d missed this so far. Looking nice and Southern already; good stuff!

Regarding those bridges: I’m having trouble getting straight in my head how they work as structures, how the road deck is carried. Are the big, upper “girders” actually just acting as protection fences, or do they bear load? They look as if they do, but I then can’t see how they do. Are they based on a prototype that’s been rebuilt/strengthened at some stage?

Very simplified ...........................

The main girders act as supports for the X-girders which are attached slight above the lower flange. So the load is transferred through the deck to the X-girders into the man girders and away into the abutments. The photo below of Bridge 31/33A on the Basingstoke - Reading line over the A33 shows the the X-girder attachements

DSC00157.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Right, it's been just about a month since my last update. And it's been a busy few weeks, but most of it hasn't been spent on Sotherington Lane. I've done 2 exhibition's with my friends layout (Alton and Tonbridge) plus doing some more wiring work on the n gauge project.

However, I have managed to progress the lighting gantry, and supports for it. A lot of work had to be put into the left-hand support so that it could take the PCP interface panel for my NCE Powercab. As this panel is quite deep, including the power plug at the back, i'm had to extend out to the front. Not exactly elegant, but functional, and all the wires can be hidden by the bridge support.

fulllayoutwithprimedlightinggantry.jpg.f3d92f9053be42204e9f3d492ae73059.jpg

And here it is, fully primed, and with the lighting strips added. As mentioned previously, these are 2ft fluorescent daylight tubes in under cabinet units that i've had since my first US American HO layout, so almost 20 years now. I had been looking at LED strips, but as I have these still to hand, and they still (touch wood) work fine, it would be a pity to waste them, even if they do use a bit more leccy than LED. Next task for the fascia's will be to paint them a nondescript colour. Previously, i've used a rather dark grey, as befitting a run-down US outline layout, but when I used the same shade for Blackhurst, i'm not sure it worked so well, so i'm thinking maybe a light grey. Any suggestions or thoughts please?

Also in the photo, you'll see the 2 latest additions to my fleet.

On the right is my new Class 73/0 or JA. It's currently numbered 73002, but I do want to re-number it back to pre-TOPs.... I could re-number to E6002, but photo's of it in this condition seem rather elusive.... E6001 and E6006 seem to have been photographed more, and I have found E6006 on a Chessington coal train. At least if I do re-number it to pre-TOPs, it'll be more unique as a model.

On the left, is a Bachmann Class 205/2H, no. 1121 in Green with small yellow ends, but not all is what it seems. Initially I had bought the 2 complete bodyshells from Kernow, having noticed they were selling them off separately. The intention was to motorise it with a spare Hornby 2-Bil/Hal motor bogie, and scratch-build the chassis. However, whilst perusing the Bachmann spares website, I noticed they had the parts to build the complete chassis' for both coaches, so these were ordered, and all assembled on my workbench. I'll be honest here, and say that, after how much I spent, money wise, doing this, I might as well have bought a brand new boxed example. But the Green with small yellow ends seem to be rarer than hens teeth.

Something I have been considering, is adding a factory building at the rear right-hand end, and turning what is currently intended to be a multiple unit servicing siding into another freight siding. The thought now being that it would be unlikely for a unit to be left overnight at such a small station, and the last passenger train would return to the main junction station or London. It would also give another industry to shunt, although i'm not sure what industry to model.... Perhaps a furniture manufacture, or fruit perhaps, but then I think fruit would be handled with the provenders store.

Hopefully with the lighting gantry done now, I can start to focus more on the scenery, although this weekend marks the start of a very long F1 season, so more distractions at the weekend.

• Like 9

Jam, or tinned fruit pie filling, the latter being a very “period” thing, and either would draw upon local produce.

Baxter’s (iirc) had a soup factory in Kent that sent stuff out by rail into the 1970s, possibly even 1980s.

PS: To get right on theme for the train spotting community, how about it makes Lyon’s Fruit Pies? Somewhere, there must have been a factory supplying about a zillion a week to Travellers Fayre.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Page 16 of this gets into soup:

Interesting topic...... Think I will have to read it through from the start...... Also interesting is the mention of Palvans...... I need to check, but I think I might have a couple of kits to build.... If not, I might have to get some....

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So last weekend, I made a start on mocking up the factory in the far right-hand corner. Initially I was going to have the main building right into the corner, but then had a flash of inspiration, and thought a boiler house and chimney in the corner would add a bit more interest, and more importantly, the chimney itself would hide the corner of the backscene.

factory_mock.jpg.d58f90b359d21b19f8ec9a79a7a237ec.jpg

Here is a picture of the second mock-up. The first was made out of cereal packets, just to check spacings, this version, is made from artist board, and will form the skeleton of the building. It will be clad in brick plasticard sheet, and plain plasticard for any concrete lintels. The shed covering the tracks will probably remain plain brickwork, but the main building will have windows. Rather than make the windows myself, I have lazily gone the laser cut route, and sourced these from Scale Model Scenery. These arrived yesterday, so I the evening spacing them out. I originally thought I might have two rows (floors) of windows, but when measuring, it looked a little silly, so there will just be a single row of industrial windows. The plan is also to give this factory a flat roof, so above the windows will all be rendered concrete. Hopefully this should give it a nice 1930's look. I'm still unsure as to what produce the factory makes..... maybe it's a Smarties (other chocolate based sweets are available) factory? I'm sure I recall a layout having a Jelly Bean factory once, Ditchling Green I think?

Hopefully I might be able to get the main structure together this weekend, and start cladding it with brick..... There are two methods I have used for this, either using superglue or rocket card glue, to stick the plasticard to the artist board. I'm not 100% sure which i'll use this time.

Once the boiler (retort?) house building is made, i'll then measure up, and cut down the chimney so the top is just the height of the back-scene. I could leave it higher, but then I would need to remove the chimney everytime I put the layout away.... plus the top is rather nicely moulded.

However, this weekend will probably mostly be taken up with N gauge modelling (more soldering using a magnifier!), and Mother's Day on Sunday (so no modelling that day). So more progress will probably be slow.

Until next time, happy modelling everyone.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I have something that I have been pondering, which i'd like to open up to the collective mind of RMWeb.

You'll see from the track-plan and photos, that the siding to the new factory i'm building is currently served via a double-slip. The question I have is, should I really swap this out for a single-slip, so that the factory siding is only accessed from the lower platform road?

lackshelf-extended-e-crop.jpg.cc96e047014e3171ba223b3e2461b03a.jpg

The station itself is imagined to be on a passing loop, so technically there is no up or down lines, but generally passenger trains would arrive on the upper/rear platform and depart on the lower/front platform.

So, should the double-slip stay, or should it go? I will, at this stage, also point out, if I haven't done previously, that the siding has a catch/trap point protecting the passenger lines.