The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Tips would of you accept it

richard brown

Today at work a customer I help last week with a special order came in to say thank you and wanted to give me a tip, I had to say sorry I can not accept it as it is against company policy. This got us talking on the department what would of everyone else done I was the only one out of 5 of us who would say no. What would every one else have done.

(I can not say who I work for so please don't ask the question)

Richard

Guest stuartp

You did right. If you want to avoid the whole "I insist" - "no, really I can't" - "no, I insist" palaver, just thank them very much and ask them to put it in the next charity box they pass.

This used to happen at my last place of work, and company policy there was the same - no tips to be accepted. We used to have customer comment cards, where the customer could mail in, or email, or phone in their comments. I always handed them one of these and asked them to let the company know how pleased they were with the service, and that we would earn bonus point rewards from that. Which we could redeem for gifts.

I run into the same thing quite often as I work as a delivery driver for a premium supermarket. It's rather more difficult on the doorstep as there are no managers or charity boxes about to divert them to. I always politely refuse but more often than not they'll force it into your hand or pocket anyway.

I assume you are directly prohibited from accepting tips and not just asked to decline them ?

I worked in a job where "small thank yous" were common place. These ranged from bottles (And cases) of booze through to tickets to sporting events, holidays and even on one occasion, loan of a very nice car for the weekend of my wedding anniversary !

The company policy was that we should never accept gifts from suppliers, or encourage them from clients, but we had to declare them to our line manager and it was always a good idea to share the wealth once once in a while...

Archived