(Please tell me if I posted wrong) Looking for Plans

844fan

Hey everyone, 

Sorry if I am posting in the wrong place, but I want to find some online plans of locomotives. Nearly ready to start my Patreon and have been on the look out for good plans of locos and trucks so I thought I would ask my usual friends.

Black and white, front, back top and such. As my needs for them are for designing toys the frames are not fully needed. 

Thanks and if I placed this in the wrong place please put it into the correct place.

Have a good one,

Joey

Edited by 844fan
Spelling error

On 02/11/2023 at 04:49, Wickham Green too said:

Try an on-line search for whatever locos and trucks you're after ............ appropriate sources ought to emerge without too much further delving.

I have, and 9/10 I get nothing but junk, Google used to give me some results but not much now. Flickr was a ok place but I can't fathom their new search methods. What would you put in the search to find plans? I may be mis-phrasing, thank you for the advice for sure I just might need refinement.

Edit: Ok been looking everywhere and I have not found any good sources. I am looking for a few specific engines but want as many as I can find. I seriously doubt there are any plans for the A55 Decapod but I have found more photos of her and her rebuild that I can build up from. Anyone know of a good set of Beatie Well Tanks plans? 

Also I am sorry about bumping. It said I had the option so I gave it a go. Thanks my friends.

Edited by 844fan

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 02/11/2023 at 18:53, 844fan said:

Anyone know of a good set of Beatie Well Tanks plans? 

http://s548745873.websitehome.co.uk/msrsourcev2/magdate/RM_-_2.html#e36

I'm not sure how accurate they are but according to the above link you should find some plans for the BWT in the Sept 85 RM. Click on 1985 and scroll down to Sept. Should be able to find a copy on Ebay. Some Ebay sellers put up a picture of the contents page so you can double check.

Hope this helps, Rich

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 33C said:

Railway Modeller and Model Railway Constructor had lots of plans. Is there an archive?

Current subscribers to Railway Modeller have access to the complete online archive of that magazine. If you can find a subscriber in your area may be they could access it for you.

In 1985 Model Railway Constructor published a 'Model Drawings Reference Book' listing drawings up to that date, across all the four magazines in publication in that era. Whether there are any copies out there I don't know.

6 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

Current subscribers to Railway Modeller have access to the complete online archive of that magazine. If you can find a subscriber in your area may be they could access it for you.

In 1985 Model Railway Constructor published a 'Model Drawings Reference Book' listing drawings up to that date, across all the four magazines in publication in that era. Whether there are any copies out there I don't know.

That may be a problem, I live in the states. 

8 hours ago, Aire Head said:

Patreon to do what?

Going to be getting into toy making, may sound silly but I wanna try to be a modern A.C. Gilbert building up my company through the help of design, prototyping and more for my company Dash Terrier Creations. I am aiming to bring 1/18 scale (ish) 5POA action figures back into the kid market. Hasbro are only catering to nostalgia and not kids to adults, my first line is called Teganji: Toys Alive and yes alongside the action figures I will have face bearing toy trains.

Mattel is slacking and I want quality not quantity. I know sounds a bit naive but I know worse YouTube makers, and I will be glad to have a community to help see this through. So long as I can beat the standards of NECA (they can't even call those chunks jointed statues they break at a gust of wind) I have had a lot of encouragement, the only reason I have been slow at starting is pain issues I hope to get help with ASAP.

7 hours ago, 33C said:

Railway Modeller and Model Railway Constructor had lots of plans. Is there an archive?

I hope so.

I wonder if it might be more helpful to us on the other side of the pond if you could provide a better context for what you are after.  The references you give are not that helpful to us limeys, so perhaps some examples of the sort of thing you are proposing to manufacture would be useful. Sketches, 3D renderings of early thoughts or even current products you are hoping to emulate/better would all help steer people in the right direction.

You have rather a scattergun approach to your selection of prototypes, which seem to be on a personal fancy rather than part of a robust marketing strategy.  The GER A55 Decapod/0-8-0 is a very strange choice. One prototype example which had limited life and activity in either incarnation, and the Beattie Well tank hardly flew off the shelves when produced in 00.  There must have been hundreds of UK standard gauge locomotive designs, and thousands of wagon and coach designs, and plans of various levels of detail are available for a large number of them.  Perhaps you could cast your net wider, or outline your ideal selection criteria, which might assist contributors here to point you in a suitable direction. 

However, if you are aspiring to A C Gilbert levels of modelling (American Flyer) then prototypical accuracy seems a low priority, and the addition of faces is hardly finescale, and likely to get the owners of Thomas's copyright up in arms. Your proposed scale, at 1/18 or around 16mm to the foot, has great potential for detail, but your comment  "As my needs for them are for designing toys the frames are not fully needed" whatever 'frames' means, suggests this is not high on your agenda.

As 16mm is a relatively common scale for narrow gauge modelling, often 2' gauge on 0 gauge (32mm) track, it might be sensible to consider this as an alternative.  Smaller locos and coaches - after all a scale model of a BR bogie coach would be a hefty 42" long, whereas a typical NG coach would be a more handleable size and generally a greater potential play-factor.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nick Holliday said:

I wonder if it might be more helpful to us on the other side of the pond if you could provide a better context for what you are after.  The references you give are not that helpful to us limeys, so perhaps some examples of the sort of thing you are proposing to manufacture would be useful. Sketches, 3D renderings of early thoughts or even current products you are hoping to emulate/better would all help steer people in the right direction.

You have rather a scattergun approach to your selection of prototypes, which seem to be on a personal fancy rather than part of a robust marketing strategy.  The GER A55 Decapod/0-8-0 is a very strange choice. One prototype example which had limited life and activity in either incarnation, and the Beattie Well tank hardly flew off the shelves when produced in 00.  There must have been hundreds of UK standard gauge locomotive designs, and thousands of wagon and coach designs, and plans of various levels of detail are available for a large number of them.  Perhaps you could cast your net wider, or outline your ideal selection criteria, which might assist contributors here to point you in a suitable direction. 

However, if you are aspiring to A C Gilbert levels of modelling (American Flyer) then prototypical accuracy seems a low priority, and the addition of faces is hardly finescale, and likely to get the owners of Thomas's copyright up in arms. Your proposed scale, at 1/18 or around 16mm to the foot, has great potential for detail, but your comment  "As my needs for them are for designing toys the frames are not fully needed" whatever 'frames' means, suggests this is not high on your agenda.

As 16mm is a relatively common scale for narrow gauge modelling, often 2' gauge on 0 gauge (32mm) track, it might be sensible to consider this as an alternative.  Smaller locos and coaches - after all a scale model of a BR bogie coach would be a hefty 42" long, whereas a typical NG coach would be a more handleable size and generally a greater potential play-factor.

You bring up a very valid note, I have been quite mixed in my messages. First the 1/18 scale I mentioned is for the action figures only. As for being like A.C. Gilbert I mean more along the lines of how he is portrayed in "The Man who Saved Christmas" staring Jason Alexander (recommended watching for anyone as it is not strictly a holiday movie, but more a stand firm on your principles movie) building up from nothing to something.

The locomotives are going to be hybridization between Matchbox and the Thomas Ertl line. Those that own Thomas I am aware Mattel could try something but Trains with faces predates Thomas and at this point would be like Universal Vs. Nintendo on Kong. They certainly didn't act on the British Railway Stories which has locomotives with white faces exactly like Thomas. I am looking into said matter to be absolutely sure but face bearing trains has long been a thing that is Awdry based.

On frames that is just me being Pedantic I suppose, I like to know how a locomotive looks but as you say toys don't need such detail.

Again I will say it is a bit naive, but I honestly want to build a company to make toys, I have had a lot of support in enthusiasm from others. Nothing ventured nothing earned.