What point decoder to work with NCE Powercab?

EddScott

I'm going to make some inroads into partial automation of my layout and have the NCE system. I'm going to use the NCE products of the Mini Panel and BD20 block detectors but I need point decoders.

I was going to go with Lenz LS150s but someone mentioned they can play up with NCE. I've also considered Digitrax DS64s because if I can't get the NCE to do what I want without getting a PC involved I'm very tempted to switch to Digitrax.

The points are all driven by SEEP or Peco solenoids and are all run through DCC Concepts Masterswitch - I think as I'm using Masterswitches I can also use decoders that are really only for tortoise motors - I think?

• RMweb Gold

I got the MERG ones working fine. kit form but half the price of the competition. If you can solder then it may be worth a go

Russell

That's what I use too, and you won't need the masterswitches as the MERG units have a large CDU built in, will fire two PL-10s at once :)

I'm going to make some inroads into partial automation of my layout and have the NCE system. I'm going to use the NCE products of the Mini Panel and BD20 block detectors but I need point decoders.

I was going to go with Lenz LS150s but someone mentioned they can play up with NCE. I've also considered Digitrax DS64s because if I can't get the NCE to do what I want without getting a PC involved I'm very tempted to switch to Digitrax.

The points are all driven by SEEP or Peco solenoids and are all run through DCC Concepts Masterswitch - I think as I'm using Masterswitches I can also use decoders that are really only for tortoise motors - I think?

Hi EddScott

I'm using two Digitrax DS64 units with my NCE system. Very easy to set up. My points are powered by peco solenoids and the DS-64 can throw them in pairs even when powered only off the DCC bus.

Chris

One of the best options would be to ditch the Masterswitches and go for a Team Digital SMD82 - this can operate 8 SEEP or Peco point motors and works well with NCE.

I'd rather buy off the shelf components so the Team Digital products sound good. If I junk the Masterswitches how are points facing each handled in terms of frog polarity? Also, at the moment two points are thrown via one MS+ for sidings. How would that work using the Team Digital decoder and the NCE Cab?

I'd rather buy off the shelf components so the Team Digital products sound good. If I junk the Masterswitches how are points facing each handled in terms of frog polarity? Also, at the moment two points are thrown via one MS+ for sidings. How would that work using the Team Digital decoder and the NCE Cab?

The TD SMD82 won't switch frog polarity so if you're concerned about this you would need to either modify the point wiring or using something like a Hex Frog Juicer. The SMD82 won't throw two motors simultaneously but will throw them with a short delay between each throw. You can then operate the two points from the handset using a macro - in fact I would set up two macros, one to switch the pair one way and another to reverse the throw.

I have modified my electrofrog points by cutting the rails, adding a little wire across the rails and running a wire from the frog itself. The frog polarity is then switched by the PM1 SEEPs.

I queried the Masterswitches because I've got the MS+ boards running the points that face each other - I'm not fully sure how but I understood the MS+ to be doing something fancy??

Do I have to stop using the Masterswitches to use the SMD82? I've bought all the MS I need and can fire two SEEP motors from one MS. If I need a decoder input per point I'm going to need 4 or 5 more decoders.

I've got 61 points but many of them are either paired or facing. Assuming the layout was operated soley by switches there would about 35 switches. I assumed that using the MS and decoders I would only need the same amount of decoder inputs. So thats roughly 8 SMD82s or 5 with the MS.

What I'm planning to do is have a train set off from the fiddle, stop at the 2 stations for a set amount of time then come back into the fiddle BUT not neccessarily into the same line in the fiddle that that train left. So effectively have a couple of trains running per line and when returning to the fiddle occupying the first free line. One thing though, using the mini-panel and detectors, will it stop the trains from catching up with each other - like hold one train if another in front is slower?

Archived